DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When is a facility considered "infrastructure"...."

Crow Horse

Premium Pilot
Reactions
As I've mentioned in previous posts, I plan to document the construction phase of a wind turbine facility(s) local to me. I'm really concerned about the tree clearing, construction of access roads and destruction of wetlands. From what I've read so far, flying near "infrastructure" should be avoided. Not wanting to violate any laws and be subject to prosecution, when is a project deemed "infrastructure"? Is it when it's operational or is it when the first trees are cut and bulldozed over? Or, will the FAA designate these areas restricted air space?

I've searched and haven't found a definitive answer. Maybe a call to the FAA might be in order?

Oddly enough, my FIL is a pilot and flight instructor and I might run this question by him for direction.

For what it's worth, I have the TRUST certificate, registered my bird and am looking into the 107 certification.

Thank you. I don't recall where I read about avoiding critical infrastructure.

Thank you. I don't recall where I read about avoiding critical infrastructure.
Some "critical infrastructure" like the Hoover Dam are also no-fly zones. From the FAA website:

Drones are prohibited from flying over designated national security sensitive facilities. Operations are prohibited from the ground up to 400 feet above ground level, and apply to all types and purposes of UAS flight operations. Examples of these locations are:

Military bases designated as Department of Defense facilities
National landmarks, such as Statue of Liberty, Hoover Dam, Mt. Rushmore
Certain critical infrastructure, such as nuclear power plants

The FAA is continuing to consider additional requests by eligible federal security agencies for UAS specific flight restrictions as they are received.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc