DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When you bought your Mavic

SHRED

Reactions
Was it just the Mavic and controller?
Did you get the 'Fly More' packaged deal?

What do you suggest for first time buyers?

Bought it at first (at a reduced amount) but when that deal fell through, I bought it without. I've always much preferred the after market 3 battery charge so I'd not use the hub. The bag is simply way over priced and many reviewers did not like it. I bought a sling backpack from Ultimaxx for around $20 and it's great. The car charger seemed semi-interesting but I seldom need to charge in the car with extra batteries. Instead I took that extra money and bought 2 extra batteries. Much better deal to me. I then dropped about $45 on the charger and $20 on the sling back pack.

What do you suggest for first time buyers?
Only buy the package if you can use everything it includes. Otherwise, it'll be cheaper to buy only the accessories you need separately.

Reactions: Mjonesy758
I bought the Fly More package (last week). The package saved me something like $80, in comparison to buying all the extras separately. I knew I'd need the extra batteries, car charger, and props; I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the case. Last year I had a small camera backpack that was too small to carry any of my DSLR gear, so I sold it. If I still had that, I probably would not have sprung for the Fly More package. I must say, the bag that comes with it is nice, though, and I do use it. I think if there is any one major component of the package that you think you won't use (bag, battery), then it may not be worth it to you.

Imho the FM package is a good value, and you could always sell whatever you don't want to use. The bag is really high quality but for me it was a little too tight for the mavic and controller.

I have a couple sling bags that I use for my DSLR / Gopros when I'm out and about. I'll probably just use those. I debated on the combo package as well but the base package plus another battery and extra props were enough for me to get started.

Just got the Mav + controller, then added a battery, the non-DJI car charger (works brilliantly), an extra set of props, some ND filters, landing gear extensions, a half backpack and the DJI sun hood for the controller.

Go for the "Flymore"
U won't regret it... 3 batteries is barely enough. As for the car charger, I thought I would never use it....I use it more then the wall charging hub.
The bag is awsome. I don't get why people don't like it. It fits the drone 3 batteries and the controller and charger fine. Very durable and rain resistant bag.
If u don't buy the combo try and find a DJI bag on line..WWWay better the lugging a suitcase around !

Last edited:
Reactions: eric18
Just got the Mav + controller, then added a battery, the non-DJI car charger (works brilliantly), an extra set of props, some ND filters, landing gear extensions, a half backpack and the DJI sun hood for the controller.

Do the landing gear extensions help with hand launching/catching? I'm curious if people find the hand catching/launching a bit more difficult compared to the phantoms.

I don't find the hand launch or land difficult at all. I actually think the landing gear a bit of a waste if you ask me.
U would always have to remove it to put it in the bag.

I'm not sure about you guys but this "Fly More" combo is a real proof of what DJI thinks about its product.
I mean, they already know its products are addictive, so why not offer a combo with everything you need to "fly more"?

Did you get the 'Fly More' packaged deal?

So, answering this question in specific I would go with this deal, for sure.
Suddenly you'll realize that you want to do more and more with your new flying camera. Day by day you'll experiencing new tips and configs, getting excited with what it is capable of.
IMHO, to do all this you definitely will need a few extra batteries and chargers.

Hope this help you decide. :rolleyes:

Reactions: SHRED
Do the landing gear extensions help with hand launching/catching?

Not at all. The landing gear extensions will not improve or reduce your ability to hand launching/catching.

I actually think the landing gear a bit of a waste if you ask me.

Don't let the gimbal rubbing on leaves. Have you tried to take off on grass or sand?
I think it's not a waste. Actually it's a really cheap purchase for its purpose. And remove them is not a big deal.

Do the landing gear extensions help with hand launching/catching? I'm curious if people find the hand catching/launching a bit more difficult compared to the phantoms.
They are good for adding ground clearance, but would get in the way with hand catching.

I don't find the hand launch or land difficult at all. I actually think the landing gear a bit of a waste if you ask me.
They take a few seconds to apply and remove - not a time-killer at all. When the Mavic is on grass, sand, dirt...etc., they give a little extra ground clearance for the camera and gimbal. I also use a landing pad to help keep the lens clear of take-off debris.

Reactions: ed1nh0

Which non-DJI car charger are you using?

Bought it at first (at a reduced amount) but when that deal fell through, I bought it without. I've always much preferred the after market 3 battery charge so I'd not use the hub. The bag is simply way over priced and many reviewers did not like it. I bought a sling backpack from Ultimaxx for around $20 and it's great. The car charger seemed semi-interesting but I seldom need to charge in the car with extra batteries. Instead I took that extra money and bought 2 extra batteries. Much better deal to me. I then dropped about $45 on the charger and $20 on the sling back pack.
What brand of third party batteries?

I had a good look at the Fly More pack but it was only the batteries I wanted from it so I bought the standard pack and bought batteries after. I've plenty of camera bags that are suitable for the Mavic and that seemed to make up a large chunk of the price, as mentioned above it's only worth it if you're going to be using all the items.

John

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kzenoxx