DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where CAN you fly, UK. And birds.

mreco99

Reactions
Searches on google for that, all start with Where can you fly, then just tell you where you cant fly.
Flyable Air space is pretty well documented and followable. but TOAL (take off and landing, for people like me who didnt know what that meant), is a whole other point, ive yet to find useful help.
In theory, it looks like you cant TOAL on a rural footpaths, bridle ways, byways (OS maps), as they are only allowable rights of way for travelling through, not stopping, ie having a picnic, or a BBQ. Although I suspect dronies do use these anyway. That was my plan anyway.
I bet you cant TOAL on a road or a road footpath?
Fields and everywhere else is owned by someone, even 'common land' is actually owned by someone. public parks seem ok, but thats not ideal with people around.
Any tips especially UK'ers welcome.

Another point, birds. Im a bird lover like most photographers. But when I read ' cant fly a drone near here, birds might be nesting' , I cant help but be bemused. Nesting season is considered Feb to Aug, different birds nest different times.

What about this list of things that a nesting bird might hear near by
Traffic (lorries down lanes, cars with most of the exhaust chopped off, Motorbikes), you can hear 300m away.
Petrol mowers
Planes (I regularly hear RAF jets dog fighting, low flying Hercules, Osprey flying in circles), noises and rumbles you can hear from literally miles away.
Dogs barking
Farm machinery
Auditory bird Scarers in fields (up to 4 times an hour, no mention of nesting birds in the code of practise)
Country Shooting, hunts, and packs of hounds.
And i'm talking county living, not in town.
Is a sub 250g drone really a valid target for this?

mini 4 pro 1.5m up 67db, and for 95% of the time its a wee bit higher than 1.5m
Petrol mower 80db
Jet fighter about 115db at 1000feet.
Bird scarer maybe up to 100db

Last edited:
Searches on google for that, all start with Where can you fly, then just tell you where you cant fly.
Flyable Air space is pretty well documented and followable. but TOAL (take off and landing, for people like me who didnt know what that meant), is a whole other point, ive yet to find useful help.
In theory, it looks like you cant TOAL on a rural footpaths, bridle ways, byways (OS maps), as they are only allowable rights of way for travelling through, not stopping, ie having a picnic, or a BBQ. Although I suspect dronies do use these anyway. That was my plan anyway.
Fields and everywhere else is owned by someone, even 'common land' is actually owned by someone. public parks seem ok, but thats not ideal with people around.

Another point, birds. Im a bird lover like most photographers. But when I read ' cant fly a drone near here, birds might be nesting' , I cant help but be bemused. Nesting season is considered Feb to Aug, different birds nest different times.

Traffic (lorries down lanes, cars with most of the exhaust chopped off, Motorbikes), you can hear 300m away.
Petrol mowers
Planes (I regularly hear RAF jets dog fighting, low flying Hercules, Osprey flying in circles), noises and rumbles you can hear from literally miles away.
Dogs barking
Farm machinery
Auditory bird Scarers in fields (up to 4 times an hour, no mention of nesting birds in the code of practise)

Petrol mower 80db
The age you are: you might be aware of the story about the Oozlem bird - that strange species that runs itself round in ever decreasing circles until it disappears up its own fundamental orifice. Flying a drone in the UK is getting to feel like a frighteningly similar experience with us trying not to piss anyone off... on top of that we have to add the rights of our little feathered and furred friends into the equation without the RSPCA/RSPB hit-squad coming round to sort things out with environmentally friendly pickaxe handles. This 'respect-the-nesting-habits' routine has now resulted in me ending up with a privet hedge that you could hide a brontosaurus in and I too am utterly bewildered as to why your average spuggie that lives in a hedge bordering an industrial estate next to the M6/M42 interchange might be put off his stroke by the distant whining buzz of a mini 3/4 pro for about 20 minutes out of his day.
Instead of driving myself increasingly scatological worrying about the 'rights' of others' who, when the boot is on the other foot, will quite happily put it right on the back of my neck in insisting that their rights are far more important than mine, I now choose to get on with capturing whatever scene I set out to photograph before I pack up - get back in my car and head off to the next location.
While most people think that a lot of local councils have their borough and parish boundaries sewn up like Stalagluft 17, it is a fact that the vast majority of Borough and parish/town councils in the UK still do not have a coherent OR enforceable 'drone policy' written into their bye-laws. If you use your common-sense and avoid the obvious (flying or hovering over roads, railways or motorways, flying in public parks with people around, using obviously private land for TOAL without permission), 9 times out of 10 you will have undertaken your flight without anyone being any the wiser for it and what the eye doesn't see: the heart rarely grieves over.
Just make sure you have thoroughly read, understood and abide by the CAA guidelines, make sure that where you fly is not restricted airspace in accordance with the NATS database and that you have everything that DMARES compliance might require right there in your pocket (DMARES CAP1974).

Petrol mowers
Dogs barking
Farm machinery

Petrol mower 80db
I have just got back from Spain ! Near the Rock with Seagulls was a night mare at one time I had 10 seagulls circling the drone and maybe 1000 over the rock ! Even tourists walking being attacked ! Away from the rock as in the video they still appear ! Best way out is to climb vertically ! They cannot keep pace with the Air 3 in a climb

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986