DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which iPad tablet holder?

Dbez1

107 Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Ok, so we know that some work better than others and I don’t want to reinvent the wheel. I have a 10.5 iPad Pro that I’ll be using with my Air2. I’m also thinking that a lanyard would be a good idea as will a sun hood. I would appreciate your suggestions as to what works for you as well as what doesn’t work. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: mereflyer
Mavmounts are very popular.

They have the holder, lanyard, and sunhoods available for most tablets.

I have the LifThor rig myself.

Because buying a Mavic 3 put me on a ramen diet 'til it's paid off, I made one. Bought a pair of Proline PLUTM tablet mounts meant to be clamped on the upright of a microphone stand (or cymbal stand or whatever) when they were Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day.

Trimmed a small, thin piece of poplar into an elongated dummy "phone" shape, sanded the edges round, made a split block to fit around the two metal rods that connect to the antennas and fix the phone to the controller — same kind the M2 Air has. I removed the mic-stand bracket, found a knobbed bolt with the same threads as European mic stand standard (3/8"–16 tpi) to clamp it all together, and added small eye bolts left and right to attach a guitar strap I disliked (too narrow when a heavy Telecaster's hanging from it, but perfect for this use). Primed the wooden parts and sprayed them with several coats of dark silver Rust-Oleum with light sanding between coats.

The guitar strap's two-point attachment is more stable than single-point lanyard-type supports, and it's broad enough to spread weight out nicely. The tradeoff is that because of the clamping bolt it takes a minute to attach and remove.

I do semi-regret not forming the wooden piece into the shape of a 1930s Granville Gee Bee racing plane's wing, but them's the breaks.

Oh, and the other tablet mount actually is attached to a mic stand near my studio computers. When working I am surrounded by displays.

I use the Thors Drone World Baldur for my MA2 and it is absolutely great at holding my iPad. What I like is the 1/4"-20 threaded receiver on the bottom that allows me to mount it on a tripod. Alternatively, they provided a lanyard which is also good. Then I got cheap and fabricated my own hood out of some black foam core, some black Gorilla tape, and a little velcro strapping for less than $10 that works just fine.

Reactions: MA2 317
I started flying my mini 2 with my IPad Pro 12.9 and I used a MavMount. The mount was not without its problems. First problem was finding a cable that fit around the mount into the remote. Make sure you have plenty of extra cables because there is a lot of strain connecting it. Also, an IPad Pro 12.9” is heavy and $$$. I was not satisfied with the flimsy plastic tablet mount that MavMount provided to hold the iPad. When I contacted MavMount they really did not seem to care about my concerns with this system. I ended up purchasing a very nice aluminum tablet mount on Amazon for around $20 that is much more sturdy. Since the MavMount uses standard threads, it was trivial to replace their flimsy plastic mount with the metal one.

Currently I'm using Mavmount with a Ipad Mini 4 along with a Hoodman & extension. I'm a novice but the setup seemed a bit unbalanced (it might have been the way I had it positioned). I also had difficulty keeping the tablet holder secure and it kept twisting out of position. These issues might be the result of my inexperience.

I'm now waiting on a LifThor Mjolnir and I'll see how it compares. I'm also toying with the idea of mounting the tablet on a tripod and use a longer cable to the RC. I like to sit while flying and this might be exacerbating some of the issues I'm experiencing.

Thanks all for your responses. After some research, I decided the Hanadora would be adequate for my needs. If not, I’ll return it and go for one of the higher end models. Thanks again.

I also use the Hanatora tablet holder for my iPad Pro 12.9.

I also use (and highly recommend) this holder for my Mini 1. However, in the UK it’s branded as Lyongtech:

It’s the best reasonably priced holder I’ve found which can hold my iPad Air 10.5” in an Otterbox Defender case. Most budget holders don’t have deep enough clamps to cope with the extra thickness of the tablet in a case. The slightly sticky, soft rubber pads really grip securely. As a bonus, as macfawlty said above, it has the capacity to hold very large tablets up to 12.9”. It also has a nice stiff cantilever mechanism which doesn’t move once set. A great buy for the price.

Thank you Maelstrom. I ordered it and received it last week. It’s everything that you guys said and more. It’s perfect for my needs. Thanks all.

Reactions: maelstrom

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk