DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

White ceiling detection

Not at all. The latest Mavic 3 update allows just that. With the sensors off, you fly in pure ATTI mode.

I meant "bypass" the way DJI uses it in configuring OA (brake, bypass, off).

Kinda hard to "go around" the ground 😁

My Mavic Pro will fly in Atti mode indoors when connecting to GPS is impossible.
This happens automatically when GPS is lost during a flight under a solid obstacle such as a bridge.
Any drone will fly in Atti Mode when GPS is not available.
That's because Atti Mode is P-GPS Mode without the GPS.
But user-selectable Atti Mode is something different.
It means that you can fly outdoors with the drone using GPS to be aware of it's position, but not using GPS for horizontal position holding.
It's a very useful feature for certain kinds of flight.

I'm still doubtful, I'm sure we'd have heard all about it if DJI made Atti Mode available.
If you actually had atti mode, the landing wouldn't be the thing you'd talk about.
Horizontal flight is where you'd see a big difference.
Have you ever flown a Phantom?
DJI only offered user-selectable Atti Mode in the Phantom series.

How do you enable it since the controller doesn't have an Atti setting?
There's no mention of anything like Atti Mode in the release notes for the last update:

I'd be interested in seeing some flight data that shows flying in atti mode.
Do you have a Mavic 3? If so, turn it off and try it.

Any sensor has problems "seeing" obstacles when there is no difference in contrast.
Ceilings of any colour but a flat monochrome surface is not detected fast enough.
Also camera auto-focus will search for focus when there is no area with a different contrast.
Ruud
One small correction – the OA cameras are fixed focus @ infinity.

Do you have a Mavic 3? If so, turn it off and try it.
OK ... how do I turn it (what?) off?

Second thoughts
No ... I'm certain that you are confused and weren't able to access Atti Mode.
All you've done is to disable the downward facing sensor.
That doesn't give you access to Atti Mode and flying without the downward sensor is nothing at all like flying in Atti Mode.

If you think otherwise, your flight data would confirm whether you managed to miraculously access Atti Mode.

Last edited:
My Mavic Pro will fly in Atti mode indoors when connecting to GPS is impossible.
This happens automatically when GPS is lost during a flight under a solid obstacle such as a bridge.
The ATTI mode indoors etc. is probably due to no GPS + no VPS, the latter being due to poor illumination of the floor and or an inappropriate floor pattern.

I also slowly, but faster than landing speed, descended to about 6 inches from the ground. It never even hinted at slowing until I gave it up input.
I guess you know how to get the flight log so, I am wondering, did the VPS give correct height readings?

Last edited:
OK ... how do I turn it (what?) off?

Second thoughts
No ... I'm certain that you are confused and weren't able to access Atti Mode.
All you've done is to disable the downward facing sensor.
That doesn't give you access to Atti Mode and flying without the downward sensor is nothing at all like flying in Atti Mode.

If you think otherwise, your flight data would confirm whether you managed to miraculously access Atti Mode.
Settings/safety/advanced/vision positioning and obstacle sensing. According to AirData it goes into Detour Mode, which I have read is the same as ATTI? I can verify for certain, when you let go the sticks, it does not stop. Screenshot 2023-10-03 8.23.30 AM.pngThis from the flight -

Last edited:
Update. The flight above was near dark and did fly as in ATTI. I just flew in full sun with OA off and Vision disabled. It flew normally, but no ground sensing at all. It would have very easily crashed in full down mode and was completely unstable in hover.

Update. The flight above was near dark and did fly as in ATTI. I just flew in full sun with OA off and Vision disabled. It flew normally, but no ground sensing at all. It would have very easily crashed in full down mode and was completely unstable in hover.
I recollect reading that the M2P has the option to disable landing protection.
I can't remember if there is a section dealing with switching ALL vision sensors off and or switching off the downward looking sensors, but there certainly is a way of switching off the horizontal looking oA sensors.
Not arguing with you, rather just wondering, when you say 'switching vision off " are you referring to disabling landing protection?

I recollect reading that the M2P has the option to disable landing protection.
I can't remember if there is a section dealing with switching ALL vision sensors off and or switching off the downward looking sensors, but there certainly is a way of switching off the horizontal looking oA sensors.
Not arguing with you, rather just wondering, when you say 'switching vision off " are you referring to disabling landing protection?
Check post #28, first image.

Disabling downward sensors has nothing at all to do with Atti Flight Mode and the same goes for Detour Mode.
Your drone is always going to use GPS if GPS is available.

The ATTI mode indoors etc. is probably due to no GPS + no VPS, the latter being due to poor illumination of the floor and or an inappropriate floor pattern.

Well, my understanding in those circumstances is you would still have positioning functionality via GPS, albeit with less precision.

After all, that's how the drone works normally in flight once you exceed the VPS limits (30-45 feet, depending on the model).

There seems to (maybe) be some misunderstanding here. The characteristics of ATTI mode chiefly affect horizontal control, in particular position hold. you will not be in ATTI mode if you have a GPS lock. Period. The drone can, and will, use GPS for position sensing, and will hold position if the sticks are centered.

In contrast to this, ATTI mode will fly like a puck on an air hockey table. Crank it up to full throttle then let go of the sticks, and it's momentum will keep it right on going, slowing gradually from air resistance until its motionless relative to the air – and then keep on moving away blown by the wind.

Turning off the downward sensors so it can't detect the ground is not ATTI. You haven't disabled positioning functionality, you've only disabled VPS and it's much greater horizontal accuracy.

Yes, but did you check the Airdata link?
Yes and there's nothing in it that hints at Atti Mode.
I'm not sure what you think might have suggested the drone was in Atti Mode for that flight.
It's clear from your posting that you are confused about what Atti Mode really is.

Last edited:
It may be due to differing use of terminology/words but I don't think the downwards looking sensor is intended as 'obstacle' sensing as such, rather I think it is "the ground or something is a getting a bit too close for comfort" sensing .... hmmm .... 🤔 though I suppose it amounts to the same thing.
Not sure but assume it uses them for OA while in active track

Yes and there's nothing in it that hints at Atti Mode.
I'm not sure what you think might have suggested the drone was in Atti Mode for that flight.
It's clear from your posting that you are confused about what Atti Mode really is.
No, not confused. ATTI is exactly how my drone flew the other night. I tried again this evening at the same amount of light, after a sunset Hyperlapse, and it responded normally. Maybe just a one time occasion. But it was an eye opening and educational time.

No, not confused. ATTI is exactly how my drone flew the other night.
The flight data disagrees with you.
It shows that GPS was used for the entire flight.
That you think that disabling downward sensors, might possibly cause the drone to enter Atti Mode says it all.

You haven't given any indication that you understand what Atti Mode is or how it works.
This entire discussion has been a total waste of space and effort.

The flight data disagrees with you.
It shows that GPS was used for the entire flight.
That you think that disabling downward sensors, might possibly cause the drone to enter Atti Mode says it all.

You haven't given any indication that you understand what Atti Mode is or how it works.
This entire discussion has been a total waste of space and effort.

How's this, and yes this is exactly how the drone acted the other night. Left roll, release stick, roll continued until right roll engaged enough to counter. This behaviour continued for right roll, left and right pitch. Unless I countered with opposite input, the drone continued in that direction until I countered. I don't remember yaw, sorry. I can't explain the "data". All I know is I have NEVER had to counter normal pitch or roll to stop motion. I am not meaning normal stopping distance. There was none, it kept going.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc