DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

why can't I go higher than 500m next to a higher mountain?

Actually John, your case is exactly where "unlocking" a drone is genuinely very useful. If you can, I think you should do it.

I understand in Bali, especially under the current circumstances, the government would not have the slightest interest in someone (possibly) breaking the law on the height limit. If you can do it, maybe they will even be interested to cooperate with you in monitoring the crater (but you'll need battery mod and antenna mod as well). Better to risk a drone than to risk a human life.

I did a few test flights at 100, 200 and 300m without any issue. I only tested these flights when there was no cloud around the peak and the surrounding cloud was still, thinking that was a good indicator of higher wind conditions.
Another case where if you unlock your Mavic, you can put it in ATTI mode and turn it into an anemometer.

Also another case if you guys keep talking about hacking your bird
I am going to have and clean this thread and I really don't want to do that . The answer was already given as it will not go above 500m from take off point . Do the hike John .:)

N
I am going to have and clean this thread and I really don't want to do that . The answer was already given as it will not go above 500m from take off point . Do the hike John .:)
Nuff said!!! Do that climb John we wanna see it! I can see Agung from my island :)

Fair enough. Just do the battery and antenna mod, John. We are free to talk about it here :D

Reactions: diveinstructor
I may do the hike but to be honest its the traffic on the way back to the hotel takes hours to get there and then hours to get back. Then there's the lava thing. Gets a bit hot that stuff. Might ruin my Mavic :)
I would have to go to my insurance company with a lump of plastic saying
"..can I have another one please sir?"

Do the hike John
On a more serious note, he can't do that as he is restricted by the exclusion zone. I believe from the perimeter of the exclusion zone to the top of the mountain is still more than 2000m.

I may do the hike but to be honest its the traffic on the way back to the hotel takes hours to get there and then hours to get back. Then there's the lava thing. Gets a bit hot that stuff. Might ruin my Mavic :)
I would have to go to my insurance company with a lump of plastic saying
"..can I have another one please sir?"
Know what you mean about that traffic..... hahahaha keep in mind if you do the hike...... that thing is not just gona spit out lava so you can run back down..... its going to explode! ANYTHING anywhere near the summit will be killed..... be careful dude.

On a more serious note, he can't do that as he is restricted by the exclusion zone. I believe from the perimeter of the exclusion zone to the top of the mountain is still more than 2000m.
not so true here.... you can still get inside the 2k limit. its ADVISED you dont!

As far as I am aware it is a 12 mile radial advisory restriction. The local population were just told to go. They are now in lower lying villages some of them packed in local buildings with few resources. They dont look too happy. As I mentioned there are no barriers what so ever up to the mountain base. There was discussion on the day concerning a hike but the four government radio operators strongly advised against it. I took their advisement.
The government moved people incase there was a repeat of the 1963 event where over a thousand died.
Just had an alert, there is increased gasses and smoke released and a crack has opened up on the mountain.

**** that I think I'll stay by the pool, bit cooler :)

Actually pretty amazing experience on reflection. I could have done what everyone else does here and drank lots of beer on the beach and have my hair done in plats. Ohh I dont have any hair. Oh well...
It was very quiet all the way up, most of the wild animals including birds shot off. It was so silent and spooky. Here is a snippet I took at base with my phone. As I said in another post it's a S8+ works great with the Mavic if you take care of it.

Too late - I learned something.

Reactions: dirkclod
Unlocking the 500m limit is easy. Making the Mavic to go up 2500m+ without losing connection, RTH not kick in when you reached certain height, and have enough juice to hover around for a few minutes around the crater is a different matter.

Any mission planner will resolve that issue quite easily. Litchi, GS Pro, Autopilot, etc. don't need a continuous signal from your controller to fly long distances.

Plot thickens.gif

Actually John, your case is exactly where "unlocking" a drone is genuinely very useful. If you can, I think you should do it.

I understand in Bali, especially under the current circumstances, the government would not have the slightest interest in someone (possibly) breaking the law on the height limit.

In the US (don't know about Bali), even this isn't "breaking the law". The height restriction of 500 meters is something purely arbitrary and only imposed by DJI, not the law. In this case, even in the US, this wouldn't even be breaking the "400-foot recommended height" promulgated by the FAA, as the height recommendation is to remain less than 400 feet over the ground surface, which is not limited by takeoff position. The 400-foot "rule" is calculated from the maximum height of the ground surface (or structure surface) directly below the craft, even if that surface is 4,000 feet up a mountain from the initial point you took off from.

I really would like this thread not to be locked or deleted. Would love to see report from John on what's going on there. Maybe it is best if we just leave it at that?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead