DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why did it crash?

NLarson801

Reactions
Last night I wanted to test out a shot involving a car driving under the drone as it hovered in place. I did not have anyone with me so I placed the drone in the air with plenty of clearance above the road and used tripod mode to try to make the Mavic still. I hit record on the controller and set it on the passenger seat and then drove quickly down the road. As I returned to where I left the Mavic I could not see it anymore so new it had somehow flown off. It was only after reviewing the footage on my phone that I saw what had happened.

the first video is of the car driving down the street, you can see after the car passes under the Mavic starts to fly backwards for some reason. The 2nd video is a continuation and shows it clipping the tree and luckily landing in some grass from not too high of a height.

I know that I should have been watching the phone screen, but I figured it would be fine since it was in tripod mode and had GPS signal.

Reactions: RobP62
Please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here. You'll find instructions for locating your TXT flight log at that link.

Last night I wanted to test out a shot involving a car driving under the drone as it hovered in place. I did not have anyone with me so I placed the drone in the air with plenty of clearance above the road and used tripod mode to try to make the Mavic still.

Yea, can't wait to hear the pro explanation on this. I plan on using tripod mode a lot around my pool at parties so I'm really interested in why this happened.

I hate when things go wrong but I try to read all these posts to learn from them.
Thanks,
Rob

Your flight shows the right stick was in the full down position. That caused the Mavic to fly backward.

Reactions: Rbruz and RobP62
Your flight shows the right stick was in the full down position. That caused the Mavic to fly backward.

I guess it's possible the stick got bumped when I accelerated, but it was just sitting on the passenger seat.

It seems it got bumped to the full down position and then was held in that position until the Mavic crashed.

Where in the log file do you see the position of the sticks?
Go here and click the "Download CSV" link. You can find the stick positions in that file. Here's a diagram explaining what the values mean in the log:

RC-Stick-Diagram.jpg

Reactions: FordP and RobP62
Yup the right stick got bumped and gave full back/slight left order all the way. Controller probably rolled on the seat during acceleration...

Could have been magnetic effect on the stick too.

Sorry for your crash. I know that really sucks. There is a part of me though that is always relieved when I read these threads and find that a crash was because of human error, instead of mavic malfunction, which is most of the time luckily.

Reactions: Blades and Rbruz
So are we thinking the controller with phone got placed upside-down on the passenger seat? Otherwise I can't quite see how the stick could be held in that position.

So are we thinking the controller with phone got placed upside-down on the passenger seat? Otherwise I can't quite see how the stick could be held in that position.

It wasn't upside down, but the controller may have slid and hit the right stick back. I honestly didn't think it did, but according to the data it is saying it did. I was wondering if somehow the accelerometer on the phone caused it, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy