DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why does GPS weal signal come up

reaperman

Reactions
For a while now, about 75% of the time I launch my mini 2 drone, after waiting for a gps lock and getting the verbal ok to take off. I get the GPS weak signal message shortly after the flight has begun. I dont loose any satellites but the GPS icon changes from the normal white to amber. I generally let the drone hover until it locks on once again and things usually get back to normal. I've had this happen at various locations, most of which are rural areas around my home. I mainly fly where I live which is a rural agriculture area with clear skies. I've upgraded firmware and software since the issue started last summer. I dont know if its hardware related, but as I say, it generally clears up within 20 seconds or so and seems to gain satellites during the flight. The photos below show 11 satellites are locked on when I took off. Sometimes I still have the same issue with even more satellites locked on before takeoff. Any ideasdrone 1.jpegdrone 2.jpeg

There are several possibilities. Some kind of interference is a major one. Is this happening everywhere you fly or a particular location?

Good positional data aren't just dependent on the number of locked satellites... deeper in the logs you can also find something that DJI calls GPS Health (or Navhealth), it have values from 0 up to the best 5. The HP isn't recorded until it comes up to a 4 for instance. Exactly what is included in the GPS Health isn't fully clear, but it involves GPS DOP & the compass. The GPS Health is a measurement that indicate how well the FC trust the positional data the GPS provides... if the GPS Health is low you will see that message about GPS signal weak.

If you use UAV Forcast, the KP value is listed. (Geomagnetic storm index). If over 3 you will have GPS interference even if enough satellites are shown. Don't know if that's the problem but the site is very helpful for safe flight at your takeoff location.

Reactions: dart106

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne