DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why I didn't fly my drone in Iceland

macfawlty:

My best advise would be to get on a small group guided tour with Iceland Photo Tours. They limit their groups to 8 photographers and often send two expert photographer guided with the group.They will go with a minimum of 3 photographers. When I went, (with my non photographing wife) , there was only a single other participant, but SHE turned out to be a real bit-h. She had mental problems and totally occupied my guide, pulling him away for an hour or more by herself for private tutoring. As explained above, I told the guide off and told her off, and bitterly complained and threatened to report and send a bad review of their company to Trip Advisor ( I have 170,000 followers there). They immediately refunded half of my trip and gave me a voucher of $500 for future trip which I never took.

Your immediate decision should be, winter vs summer. We went in April or May and there were less crowds but still cold and lots of people at the popular falls. Advantages of winter are the ice caves and the aurora borealis. Not worth the cold for me. The guide gave me excellent photography advise for capturing slow water images such as the falls and the shoreline waves (if you watched my video). But he was a total *** otherwise. However, you really need a guide. They know places to go where there are no tourists and nice beautiful falls. They get you there at the right time of the day for lighting. They do the driving, the meals are good and all included as well as the places to stay near the sights for the photography. I don't think they are that expensive.

You will never regret going there. It is a photographer's dream, as well as a droners dream. I would shoot for next April or May. Do the 6 or 7 day trip. Try for the entire circumferential tour (going counterclockwise). Skip the spa/lagoon. It's a gimmick.

Dale
Miami

macfawlty:

My best advise would be to get on a small group guided tour with Iceland Photo Tours. They limit their groups to 8 photographers and often send two expert photographer guided with the group.They will go with a minimum of 3 photographers. When I went, (with my non photographing wife) , there was only a single other participant, but SHE turned out to be a real bit-h. She had mental problems and totally occupied my guide, pulling him away for an hour or more by herself for private tutoring. As explained above, I told the guide off and told her off, and bitterly complained and threatened to report and send a bad review of their company to Trip Advisor ( I have 170,000 followers there). They immediately refunded half of my trip and gave me a voucher of $500 for future trip which I never took.

Your immediate decision should be, winter vs summer. We went in April or May and there were less crowds but still cold and lots of people at the popular falls. Advantages of winter are the ice caves and the aurora borealis. Not worth the cold for me. The guide gave me excellent photography advise for capturing slow water images such as the falls and the shoreline waves (if you watched my video). But he was a total *** otherwise. However, you really need a guide. They know places to go where there are no tourists and nice beautiful falls. They get you there at the right time of the day for lighting. They do the driving, the meals are good and all included as well as the places to stay near the sights for the photography. I don't think they are that expensive.

You will never regret going there. It is a photographer's dream, as well as a droners dream. I would shoot for next April or May. Do the 6 or 7 day trip. Try for the entire circumferential tour (going counterclockwise). Skip the spa/lagoon. It's a gimmick.

Dale
Miami
Thanks for the advice and guidance. Gives me something to think about. I’m sure the major sites are not to be missed, but I’m also wondering about other areas you enjoyed and where drones were allowed.

Last edited:
Just came back from a one-week Viking cruise around and through Iceland. We were not permitted to leave the ship unless we were part of a shore excursion. Drone photography would not work in my situation. So I left my M2P at home. Plenty of good photo ops possible if not tour restricted.

Thanks for the advice and guidance. Gives me something to think about. I’m sure the major sites are not to be missed, but I’m also wondering about other areas you enjoyed and where drones were allowed.
A lot of the circle tours skip the western Snaefelsness Peninsula, which is beautiful and has a lot of amazing scenery. It seems to be off the beaten path, like you say.

Dale
Snaefulsness scene.jpg

I am sorry. but I disagree.

It is really regrettable that you did not take the opportunity at one of the most drone-centric places on the planet to fly. There are many areas that are not national parks, and that do not have signs. The place is huge, and there are many areas where there are no people for miles. Yes, you can take thousands of great images without a drone (which I did) , but the aerial images and videos can do wonders for your ultimate video production. Some of the bullet points above are really stretching the mind (wildlife and horse disruption?). My driver (my guide was from one of the biggest photo tour companies in Iceland) and he gladly pulled off the road for me many times, not only for a quick drone capture but for 30 minute timelapse shots. There are tiny pull outs, driveways, etc.

I will not hijack this thread, but will gladly send you my video on a private conversation if requested.

Dale
Miami
So glad to hear that Dale. I have been planning a visit to Iceland with the hopes of getting some great shots and his post was quite a downer. He might as well toss his drone in the trash and cuddle up with the anti-droners that comb the hallways here.

So glad to hear that Dale. I have been planning a visit to Iceland with the hopes of getting some great shots and his post was quite a downer. He might as well toss his drone in the trash and cuddle up with the anti-droners that comb the hallways here.
Yeah- I was thinking what a lost and great opportunity of a lifetime.

and cuddle up with the anti-droners that comb the hallways here.

Anti droners hang out here ???
News to me, lol.

Let's keep this in perspective.
I think people saying the OP lost a great opportunity are losing sight of the fact that THEY didn't feel comfortable with THEIR situation on THEIR particular trip, and decided not to fly, but remember in other ways.

That's why I posted I thought it was responsible drone ownership, not forcing your 'needs' / wants on others in you tour group, or others visiting busy places, breaking local Nat Pk rules, etc.

Sure, I would take my drones with me there, and no doubt get to fly a lot.
I bushwalk / 4WD, and would always look to go remote, and have no such problems sticking to local rules etc.

Anti droners hang out here ???
News to me, lol.

Let's keep this in perspective.
I think people saying the OP lost a great opportunity are losing sight of the fact that THEY didn't feel comfortable with THEIR situation on THEIR particular trip, and decided not to fly, but remember in other ways.

That's why I posted I thought it was responsible drone ownership, not forcing your 'needs' / wants on others in you tour group, or others visiting busy places, breaking local Nat Pk rules, etc.

Sure, I would take my drones with me there, and no doubt get to fly a lot.
I bushwalk / 4WD, and would always look to go remote, and have no such problems sticking to local rules etc.
Yes- I Probably would not have been as harsh to say "toss his drone in the trash and cuddle up with the anti-droners" but I am sure we will all mostly agree that it was certainly a lost opportunity. For me, it was one of the highlights of my travels. For me, I am traveling to Tanzania and Kenya this week and taking this beast along!

Dale
MiamiNikkor 400mmF:4, on gimbal and RRS tripod.jpgSide viewe-400mm f:4 Nikkor on Really Right Stuff tripod and gimbal.jpg

Yes- I Probably would not have been as harsh to say "toss his drone in the trash and cuddle up with the anti-droners" but I am sure we will all mostly agree that it was certainly a lost opportunity. For me, it was one of the highlights of my travels. For me, I am traveling to Tanzania and Kenya this week and taking this beast along!

Dale
Miami

Yes, in the right group it could work.
In most group type travel, there can be a fairly dark outlook from many when a drone appears.

You'd know (having visited there many times) on the African safaris, groups and lodges are generally very anti drone, but if you get it right you will have opportunities there.

I think most people know when and where the right drone ops are, puling out a 'noisy' drone with others can be viewed as anti social, and African lodges are worried about other guests privacy / comfort / quietness, then there are poacher concerns.

Nice camera setup.

So, I've been to Iceland 7 or 8 times now, and perhaps I could share a little advice. (You can find some of my videos of Iceland in the showcase)

Iceland has incredibly relaxed drone laws. They haven't implemented the European open catagories at present, I'm paraphrasing, but
- Keep VLOS
- Not overfly crowds (Overflying a people, is, of course, best avoided)
- Keep 150m away from dwellings in rural areas
- Not fly in national parks (Which can be large)
- Don't fly near aerodromes, of which are are relatively few

They have implemented no drone zones in some specific tourist hot spots, where crowds are likely to gather, or where the icelandic state have taken ownership of natural attractions and made them part of a national park.

So, other than highly changeable wind and weather, you're likely to be able to fly in 99% of the country by land mass. (And a photography tour isn't needed if you're willing to do good research, IMHO. It is more useful if you have a shorter holiday)

Your problems stem from, simply, trying to fit way too much into 4 days, and as a result you stayed very much to the most highly touristed sections. Even then, no flight restrictions around Krafla. I'm not aware of anything around Myvatn either, but there is an airstrip towards the very north of the lake which you'd have to give a 1.5km or 2km, and it's hard to operate a drone while midges are climbing up your nose/ear/eyes/aghhrr
If you'd taken any of the side-roads off road one (Road 76 to Siglufjörður, for example), you'd have found there are generally more pull-outs, far fewer people, and you'd have been able to get your drone out if you felt the scenery made sense. That said, the first time going there, it's entirely possible a stills camera will take everything you might want, or the winds prevented it; in any case, it's a very pretty country by air or by land...

In 4-5 days, if you want to prioritise drone photography, it makes more sense to stay around Reykjavik (Which makes accommodation much easier) and hit spots such as
Gunnuhver
Krýsuvík (If you can visit between tour busses)
Nesjavallavirkjun
Kerlingarfjöll (Rough Road but no fording rivers, 4x4)
Road 550 (Rough Road but no fording rivers, 4x4 if you have a hire car) (Take a right over to Langjökull)
Sólheimajökull

And probably golden circle too...

Given the itinerary, thanks for being sensible about not droning in areas unsuitable for it, and for not giving the community a bad name.

Specifics on the volcano
Icelandic Authorities issued a reminder that helis and planes should be >500ft, Drones <400ft and in VLOS.
That, from what I saw, is really not happening. It was misty from about 400ft when i visited. Heli's were going around at around 250-300ft; presumably if they'd have stuck to their allotted heights, their passengers wouldn't have seen anything, and they wouldn't have made money. But rules are rules...
While you can get some shots of the lava cooling, anybody with shots of the volcano itself must have been operating beyond VLOS. I just can't see how you could get that distance with an amateur drone and keep VLOS. Which is a problem when Helicopters are operating below 120m...
I didn't feel comfortable breaking the rules, even if it's a shot of a lifetime...

So, I've been to Iceland 7 or 8 times now, and perhaps I could share a little advice. (You can find some of my videos of Iceland in the showcase)

Iceland has incredibly relaxed drone laws. They haven't implemented the European open catagories at present, I'm paraphrasing, but
- Keep VLOS
- Not overfly crowds (Overflying a people, is, of course, best avoided)
- Keep 150m away from dwellings in rural areas
- Not fly in national parks (Which can be large)
- Don't fly near aerodromes, of which are are relatively few

They have implemented no drone zones in some specific tourist hot spots, where crowds are likely to gather, or where the icelandic state have taken ownership of natural attractions and made them part of a national park.

So, other than highly changeable wind and weather, you're likely to be able to fly in 99% of the country by land mass. (And a photography tour isn't needed if you're willing to do good research, IMHO. It is more useful if you have a shorter holiday)

Your problems stem from, simply, trying to fit way too much into 4 days, and as a result you stayed very much to the most highly touristed sections. Even then, no flight restrictions around Krafla. I'm not aware of anything around Myvatn either, but there is an airstrip towards the very north of the lake which you'd have to give a 1.5km or 2km, and it's hard to operate a drone while midges are climbing up your nose/ear/eyes/aghhrr
If you'd taken any of the side-roads off road one (Road 76 to Siglufjörður, for example), you'd have found there are generally more pull-outs, far fewer people, and you'd have been able to get your drone out if you felt the scenery made sense. That said, the first time going there, it's entirely possible a stills camera will take everything you might want, or the winds prevented it; in any case, it's a very pretty country by air or by land...

In 4-5 days, if you want to prioritise drone photography, it makes more sense to stay around Reykjavik (Which makes accommodation much easier) and hit spots such as
Gunnuhver
Krýsuvík (If you can visit between tour busses)
Nesjavallavirkjun
Kerlingarfjöll (Rough Road but no fording rivers, 4x4)
Road 550 (Rough Road but no fording rivers, 4x4 if you have a hire car) (Take a right over to Langjökull)
Sólheimajökull

And probably golden circle too...

Given the itinerary, thanks for being sensible about not droning in areas unsuitable for it, and for not giving the community a bad name.

Specifics on the volcano
Icelandic Authorities issued a reminder that helis and planes should be >500ft, Drones <400ft and in VLOS.
That, from what I saw, is really not happening. It was misty from about 400ft when i visited. Heli's were going around at around 250-300ft; presumably if they'd have stuck to their allotted heights, their passengers wouldn't have seen anything, and they wouldn't have made money. But rules are rules...
While you can get some shots of the lava cooling, anybody with shots of the volcano itself must have been operating beyond VLOS. I just can't see how you could get that distance with an amateur drone and keep VLOS. Which is a problem when Helicopters are operating below 120m...
I didn't feel comfortable breaking the rules, even if it's a shot of a lifetime...
That was a great summary. I tried to start up my Mavic 2 Pro at three different sites in Reykjavik and it was a brick. I tried near the famous church, down by the waterfront, and it was a NO-GO. No. opportunity to request permission. The props would not start! I think most of Reykjavik is pretty close to the airport.

Once I was out of Reykjavik, it started normally.

Dale

That was a great summary. I tried to start up my Mavic 2 Pro at three different sites in Reykjavik and it was a brick. I tried near the famous church, down by the waterfront, and it was a NO-GO. No. opportunity to request permission. The props would not start! I think most of Reykjavik is pretty close to the airport.

Once I was out of Reykjavik, it started normally.

Dale
Reykjavik has it's own airport, which is primarily domestic (Exception: Greenland). As a result, most of Reykavik is too close to the airport for drone operation.
Probably best to find that out before you try to start launch though

Reykjavik has it's own airport, which is primarily domestic (Exception: Greenland). As a result, most of Reykavik is too close to the airport for drone operation.
Probably best to find that out before you try to start launch though
I did try Air Map but no reception.

That, from what I saw, is really not happening. It was misty from about 400ft when i visited. Heli's were going around at around 250-300ft; presumably if they'd have stuck to their allotted heights, their passengers wouldn't have seen anything, and they wouldn't have made money.

Very worrying to see such professional pilots taking such a risk, especially with pax, and when they KNOW there are bound to be drones around.
I guess they are just forcing their presence below 500' and expect UAVs to get out of their way (which of course they should, even though they are within their rules).

Thanks for the great summary, and I'm sure you are right, 4 days is not a long time to squeeze in a place like Iceland, and work out some travel to suit finding more remote and suitable places to fly.
There'd be enough in the general Reykjavik area to keep you more than busy for 4 days, just seeing the local sights around town.

Thought I'd share how and why I wound up not flying my Mavic Pro Platinum in the course of the past 4 days touring Iceland's Golden Circle in the south, and Diamond Circle in the north:

1) Prudent restrictions: As others here have noted in this forum, drones are disallowed at all popular tourist sights, national parks, and protected natural areas, which constitute most of the must-see routes and places.

2) Marginal benefit: Even without a drone, you can take beautiful up-high handheld shots overlooking many noteworthy waterfalls, canyons, gorges. And in between those POIs are mostly vast plains with distant mountains, where aerial drone vantages don't add much value.

3) Wind (and rain): Weather varies, of course, but our two days in the Lake Myvatn area (which is itself a no-fly zone), in particular, were too gusty for safe flying (too bad, the rim of Hverfjall crater would have made a great dronie vid at sunset, and we were the only ones there)

4) Access: It's illegal to drive off road in Iceland, few places to pull over safely, and many small roads lead to private farm houses, even along the coastline.

5) Wildlife disruption, nesting birds in particular, but also horses

6) People: By mid-morning, there are hikers and tourists around any generally accessible point of interest or roadside viewpoint, even where drones are permitted.

7) Time/Stress: With hours of driving between sights and destinations on typical tourist itineraries, it's hard to work in extra time for side exploring to seek out interesting and legal drone spots, and distracting from the already rewarding Iceland experience to be obsessively wondering if there's one a mile that way, or up that trail, or around that bend. (And as mentioned above, car access is limited).

All that said, I'll stop short of recommending other hobbyists leave their drones at home, since I did come across one or two isolated spots I would have tried to get aerial shots or a dronie for social media, if weather had permitted. But my hindsight is that discovering interesting and viable drone spots here requires more time and flexibility than afforded by most car-centric, several day itineraries. I'm sure there are more possibilities for those dedicating full days to hiking, though again, many such trails are in no fly zone natural areas and parks.

I did have one drone-related experience in Iceland: My original MPP OEM battery swelled after charging in our rental car (using a DC charger that's been fine before), so I dropped it off at a Reykjavik recycling center, too risky to carry onto our next flights.

On now to rural France, here's hoping for better luck there.
I Was just recently in Bordeaux. And asked permission from the Chateau owner to fly over their property. And they gave it to me! So recommend if you are touring wine country in France to do the same.

1B87884A-CBCA-4C60-8936-F9908D3F4C97.jpeg57393096-9509-4753-9917-096AE4C68CAA.jpeg8610CC17-ED26-4B69-B06C-E6DE637FD12B.jpegIceland really is a jewel for drone flying. It helps to get way off the beaten paths. I head out of town after a quick Costco stop and stay away from the major sites. Except Jokulsarlon, love that place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: D-Wreck BXNY
I've been researching Iceland and have some questions for those who've flown there or others who've looked into visiting.

No flights in national parks, of which there are 3. Then some wildlife protected areas, which are not so easy to identify as the NPs. There is the possibility of getting permission to fly in those areas.

I'm looking at the following places, seeing if anyone has flown in them or know about local rules there.

1. The whole peninsula where Snæfellsjökull National Park is located. Do they include the coastline the peninsula?

There's the famous Kirkjufellsfoss spot, but that seems east of the Snæfellsjökull NP, which in Google Maps is at the western end of that peninsula.

Also interested in some various coastal lookout spots to the SE, S and NW of the NP, including Hellnar to the SE. Is the entire coastline around the NP also part of the NP?

2. Gullfoss falls - Is it part of the national park there? But I understand it may be very popular so there are either rules against drones or just too many people around.

3. Þórsmörk. Doesn't appear to be near a NP, don't know about wildlife protected area or local drone prohibitions.

4. Fosstorfufoss and other waterfalls in the area. Again, don't know about NP or wildlife protected area or local drone prohibitions.

5. Dyrhólaey/Reynisfjara Beach/Vik - Not a NP but may be wildlife protected? I saw there agency bans drones near bird nesting areas and apparently all cliffs are bird nesting areas so that may rule out Dyrhólaey, which is just west of the Black Sand Beach.

Also imagine it's a very popular area, likely to be crowded in June?

There are a number of drone pics in Google Maps though.

I agree. When I start planning my Iceland trip, I’m gonna hit you up for advice Dale. I‘ve flown in some pretty strong gusty winds along the North shore of Maui with my M2P and it handled it very well. I’d fly in the rain as well… with the wetsuit, of course. I always bring my drones when I travel. I’ve flown a lot this year although it’s been mostly driving destinations.
I have already participated in this discussion but I simply cannot ignore this post when it is mentioned that the pilot will not take his drone to Iceland. You are passing up probably the most drone photogenic place ever! Take the drone! Use your discretion and judgment! The place is huge and mostly unpopulated, with hundreds of places to capture gorgeous scenery without another person for miles around. You will regret the day you decided not to pack your drone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972