DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why isn’t the FAA drone registration database public like The N number database?

I didn't say it made any sense but I gave my opinion and the one I've heard from some who are "In the know" with the FAA.

HAM licenses etc were around long before the world was in the moral decay it is today. In this day of predators around every corner we tend to error on the side of caution a LOT more than we used to especially when it comes to minors and their personal information.

And that’s why FCC stopped posting addresses about 10 years ago. Only my old address shows up on private callsign darabases as a result.

I agree that the address should not be public, especially for minors, but by physically typing in someone’s alphanumeric registration number on a found drone, it would be nice to get a person’s name and contact email (if they want that by selecting that option when they first registered the drone).

If you look up your license callsign on the FCC website, your address can be suppressed as one can voluntarily request this.

Note that other private databases may still post your old address from the older FCC website whennit used to show everyone’s address.

Happy to be wrong here, as it'd be a nice change, but I'm looking at my FRN under the CORES system right now and see nothing along those lines. Same in License Manager.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
It does not have to be a home address- my new one is a PO Box.

That's not news, as the FCC has always allowed you to use a PO box (as I have done for years myself.) That's not the same as making the listing of an address optional. That PO box is still live and visible to the world.

It's a huge difference to say "your address can be suppressed as one can voluntarily request this", vs. saying you can go lease a PO box and update the record to reflect it. Most people don't have strong enough desire to incur the costs of a PO box for a nerd license.

Also, unless you pre-register your information to obtain an FRN (and START with that PO box) your current (as of FRN registration) address would be visible on the account. And not just from some private database, directly from the ULS. In turn, you would use the FRN in lieu of your SSN when taking the test(s).

Full disclosure, I'm a VE for the ARRL, as well as previously under the Laurel VEC, and have signed off on hundreds of CSCE's =) (Got kinda bored with ham in the last few years though, so haven't been able to convince myself to prioritize those activities over other fun hobbies. Drone life isn't helping push me back to ham either, lol.)

Long story short, for the vast majority, yes, your home address is published by default unless you go through the above.

Last edited:
That's not news, as the FCC has always allowed you to use a PO box (as I have done for years myself.) That's not the same as making the listing of an address optional. That PO box is still live and visible to the world.

It's a huge difference to say "your address can be suppressed as one can voluntarily request this", vs. saying you can go lease a PO box and update the record to reflect it. Most people don't have strong enough desire to incur the costs of a PO box for a nerd license.

Also, unless you pre-register your information to obtain an FRN (and START with that PO box) your current (as of FRN registration) address would be visible on the account. And not just from some private database, directly from the ULS. In turn, you would use the FRN in lieu of your SSN when taking the test(s).

Full disclosure, I'm a VE for the ARRL, as well as previously under the Laurel VEC, and have signed off on hundreds of CSCE's =) (Got kinda bored with ham in the last few years though, so haven't been able to convince myself to prioritize those activities over other fun hobbies. Drone life isn't helping push me back to ham either, lol.)

Long story short, for the vast majority, yes, your home address is published by default unless you go through the above.

I’m trying to find the reference, but under special circumstances one can request it. Knew a LEO that had his approved and eventually they posted his work address.

I also had our students use the school station address, even with some of them with their own rigs at home, it was also on approval by our VE.

I’m trying to find the reference, but under special circumstances one can request it. Knew a LEO that had his approved and eventually they posted his work address.

I also had our students use the school station address, even with some of them with their own rigs at home, it was also on approval by our VE.

That's still simply using an alternative address, not hiding the address. The address on record can legally be anything where the FCC is able to reach the licensee, so work, home, PO box, whatever, so long as something mailed there ATTN the licensee would actually be received by said licensee.

It also doesn't make past addresses disappear. So changing it after the fact, say, to a PO box, doesnt really do much good if the person still lives at the last published address.

Getting pretty far down the rabbit hole here, but in the end, there is no such thing as an option to hide an address on an FCC license... just the option to pick what address is used if done at the right time. That the FAA does things any different is pure luck, but not the norm across all of the federal licensing agents.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the current process since your home address will be published unless you know the system and prepare for it ahead of time, but it isn't enough of a concern that it'd stop me from obtaining licenses in either system. (Especially since I do subscribe to the PO Box method.)

And while some say that the concern is minimal with drones because someone would have to find that FAA identifier, that may be true right now (although I'd be surprised if you can't search other criteria if you are dead set on hunting a drone owner down) that could change as other mandates start to come into play down the road. How long before drones are broadcasting their GPS data along with FAA registration for anti-collision systems? Perhaps showing up on apps like FlightRadar?

That's still simply using an alternative address, not hiding the address. The address on record can legally be anything where the FCC is able to reach the licensee, so work, home, PO box, whatever, so long as something mailed there ATTN the licensee would actually be received by said licensee.

It also doesn't make past addresses disappear. So changing it after the fact, say, to a PO box, doesnt really do much good if the person still lives at the last published address.

Getting pretty far down the rabbit hole here, but in the end, there is no such thing as an option to hide an address on an FCC license... just the option to pick what address is used if done at the right time. That the FAA does things any different is pure luck, but not the norm across all of the federal licensing agents.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the current process since your home address will be published unless you know the system and prepare for it ahead of time, but it isn't enough of a concern that it'd stop me from obtaining licenses in either system. (Especially since I do subscribe to the PO Box method.)

And while some say that the concern is minimal with drones because someone would have to find that FAA identifier, that may be true right now (although I'd be surprised if you can't search other criteria if you are dead set on hunting a drone owner down) that could change as other mandates start to come into play down the road. How long before drones are broadcasting their GPS data along with FAA registration for anti-collision systems? Perhaps showing up on apps like FlightRadar?

You were right, the day is coming when we will be broadcasting who we are and where we are. One funny thing is some people that complain about that also have an active cell phone in their back pocket. ?

Reactions: mtb.arizona
Besides cost, is there any reason why the FAA drone registration database isn’t public? Seems like a good way to help with compliance and to help people return lost and found drones.

I think it’s not about privacy, the FAA 107’s, FAA Waivers, N numbers, FCC HAM licenses, contractor licenses, etc., are all searchable, some including the owner’s name and business or home address. But I guess it could be for more privacy in that they are trying to encourage more people to register their drones...more $ income probably then, huh?

So could somebody’s FOIA request open it up?

Just some questions I’ve been pondering about this. There’s no way I would stir up an issue like a FOIA request with the FAA though, I don’t want to be on their other list! ;)
It would be helpful for those of us that don't know all the acronyms to have a chart that explains what they stand for, like FOIA, LEO. Many are used these days but seems like few are known.

Last edited:
Cool, post “some sort of contact info” of yours here on this public thread and we’ll know you’re serious and sincere. What could go wrong?
As a HAM for over 30 years, my information has been online for as long as there's been an internet. Normally if you operate within the rules, folks tend to leave you alone. I do agree it would be nice for tracking down the owner of a "found" drone or something like that, but probably not going to happen. The best thing is to post your information on your bird in some manner, also on the battery. I also posted "reward if found" on mine. No $ amount listed, I figure that would be negotiable and depend on the condition at the time it is found. Of course with the "care/refresh" you need it back regardless of condition.

KB9BYP

Reactions: mtb.arizona
You were right, the day is coming when we will be broadcasting who we are and where we are. One funny thing is some people that complain about that also have an active cell phone in their back pocket. ?

The same people freak out if a license plate isn't blurred out in a photo.

Not that one breach in privacy justifies another/more, but yeah, that concept is really not what people think it is anymore.

The drone registration system works for me just as it is.
Flying my cheap drone one day about 3 years ago, on the edge of VLOS, I made a wrong turn, tried to come back by watching the direction of travel to no avail. Eventually it was just a speck in the sky.
I shut off the control so it would not drift off further. Then searched for it without success.
It had my registration number on it and after at least 2 weeks had passed by the County Sheriff called me and asked if I had lost a drone. He verified that I knew the registration number and arranged to return it to me.
After this I also put my phone number on it. The second time I lost it it returned in much less time.

Reactions: BigAl07
It would be helpful for those of us that don't know all the acronyms to have a chart that explains what they stand for, like FOIA, LEO. Many are used these days but seems like few are known.
Just do a quick Google search and it is easy to find them.
LEO = Law Enforcement Officer
FOIA = Freedom of Information Act

Reactions: BigAl07
Whats stopping you from putting your contact info on your drone if that's what you want go for it.

Besides cost, is there any reason why the FAA drone registration database isn’t public? Seems like a good way to help with compliance and to help people return lost and found drones.

I think it’s not about privacy, the FAA 107’s, FAA Waivers, N numbers, FCC HAM licenses, contractor licenses, etc., are all searchable, some including the owner’s name and business or home address. But I guess it could be for more privacy in that they are trying to encourage more people to register their drones...more $ income probably then, huh?

So could somebody’s FOIA request open it up?

Just some questions I’ve been pondering about this. There’s no way I would stir up an issue like a FOIA request with the FAA though, I don’t want to be on their other list! ;)
N #'s can be kept private by request

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milixa9705