DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Will DJI step up to the plate......and try to compete with Litchi?

Peregrine

Reactions
Although I was aware of Litchi since day 1 of owning the Mavic, I hadn't really looked at it 'til last night. Wow! I cannot believe how feature-rich it is, compared to the Go 4 app. I watched some youtube videos, and was blown away with how comprehensive the Waypoint function is, for example. The power to create complex routes from the comfort of your armchair, and even to get it to maintain a constant ground clearance distance, when running the mission. But it's not just waypoints. All of the Litchi functions seem to go so much deeper. The Go 4 options seem almost neanderthal in comparison.

I'm just a little disappointed that DJI are not a bit more "cutting-edge" with their software, especially given how large and profitable they are as a company. They surely have the resources. Do any of you think that DJI will rise to the challenge, and take GO 4 to the next level? Or are they just going to be happy to sit back and offer software that is adequate, no more no less, thus allowing Litchi to set the bar?

Although I was aware of Litchi since day 1 of owning the Mavic, I hadn't really looked at it 'til last night. Wow! I cannot believe how feature-rich it is, compared to the Go 4 app. I watched some youtube videos, and was blown away with how comprehensive the Waypoint function is, for example. The power to create complex routes from the comfort of your armchair, and even to get it to maintain a constant ground clearance distance, when running the mission. But it's not just waypoints. All of the Litchi functions seem to go so much deeper. The Go 4 options seem almost neanderthal in comparison.

I'm just a little disappointed that DJI are not a bit more "cutting-edge" with their software, especially given how large and profitable they are as a company. They surely have the resources. Do any of you think that DJI will rise to the challenge, and take GO 4 to the next level? Or are they just going to be happy to sit back and offer software that is adequate, no more no less, thus allowing Litchi to set the bar?
And another thing is if you are on the fence about spending $450 for DJI goggles, Litchi has FPV mode for the Mavic you can try for the cost of cheep goggles and cost of Litchi app. I have both DJI GO4 and Litchi. I use the Litchi app for FPV. Just a thought IMHO.

And another thing is if you are on the fence about spending $450 for DJI goggles, Litchi has FPV mode for the Mavic you can try for the cost of cheep goggles and cost of Litchi app. I have both DJI GO4 and Litchi. I use the Litchi app for FPV. Just a thought IMHO.

I'm doing it backwards, lol. I've already bought the DJI Goggles. Thing is, although they are very good, I don't think they are £500 good. And most of my flying I do alone anyway, so the opportunity to use them doesn't come very often. So I've ordered a pair of VR goggles from Amazon, for £15. When they turn up, I shall then buy Litchi. If I'm then happy with the Litchi/Goggle combo, then my DJI Goggles will be sold. And I can probably put £450 back in the bank. Result :)

Do any of you think that DJI will rise to the challenge, and take GO 4 to the next level? Or are they just going to be happy to sit back and offer software that is adequate, no more no less, thus allowing Litchi to set the bar?
Ultimately, I expect DJI to buy Litchi, unless Yuneec or an American drone company decides to do it first to have some sort of competitive edge.

It would be great if they could get that sort of expertise on board. Keeps everything a lot simpler too, instead of having to go 3rd party.

It would be great if they could get that sort of expertise on board. Keeps everything a lot simpler too, instead of having to go 3rd party.
I should have added the point that I'm not sure it'd be a good idea - a focused, independent developer might bring a lot more to the app than a foreign corporate behemoth needing umpteen levels of approval to change an icon's color. Innovation and responsiveness would probably suffer if Litchi was absorbed; consider the complaints now about DJI lack of responsiveness.

Keep in mind that, in their business model, they make no additional revenue stream directly from GO4, so in terms of operating the business, its harder to get funding for R&D for that project. I speak of this coming from 30 years experience in the IT and software industry, filling roles from engineer to executive.

As long as GO4 is given away as part of the hardware product generating the revenue, it will always include no more than the minimal functionality to support hardware sales.

Litchi, on the other hand, makes all their revenue from the application. Therefore, their incentive (business imperative, really) is to ALWAYS be superior to GO4, in a variety of ways (functionality, ease of use, UI, customer support, etc.)

Reactions: Turnerm
Keep in mind that, in their business model, they make no additional revenue stream directly from GO4, so in terms of operating the business, its harder to get funding for R&D for that project. I speak of this coming from 30 years experience in the IT and software industry, filling roles from engineer to executive.

As long as GO4 is given away as part of the hardware product generating the revenue, it will always include no more than the minimal functionality to support hardware sales.

Litchi, on the other hand, makes all their revenue from the application. Therefore, their incentive (business imperative, really) is to ALWAYS be superior to GO4, in a variety of ways (functionality, ease of use, UI, customer support, etc.)

I hear what you're saying and agree with most of it. However, as regards to what they make off Go 4, it's only fair to say that the more attractive the complete package is, the more desirable the package becomes, equalling more sales. In other words, if potential customers know that the Mavic will do x,y,z out of the box they are more likely to purchase. If, on the other hand, owners to be discover that the Mavic is only going to perform up to a fraction of it's capability, and that 3rd party software and all that that implies is necessary to unleash it's power, then they might take a step back.

When owners of a Mavic (or many other electronic products) get "free" updates offering software enhancements it's a wonderful feeling. But, generally speaking, the update isn't designed to appease customers whose money is already in the bank. It's to keep the product flying off the shelves in it's most desirable state.

I own a Kemper, which is a fairly high-end, digital guitar amp profiler. It's now four years old, which, in electronic terms, is knocking on a bit. It has had numerous firmware updates, and is now considerably more powerful than when it was first released. The company that make them have not had to design any new hardware, and the price has actually gone up considerably in those four years. They are now selling as well as they ever did.

I hear what you're saying and agree with most of it. However, as regards to what they make off Go 4, it's only fair to say that the more attractive the complete package is, the more desirable the package becomes, equalling more sales.
Correct, but a side point.

Put more simply, because GO4 is not an independent revenue stream, DJI will invest in it just the resources necessary to support the sales of their hardware. That's not a trivial requirement -- as you say, there's a need for a "complete package", and GO4 provides that -- it is a very thorough, complete, richly functional application that add a lot of functionality.

However, DJI has no incentive to compete with Litchi or any other third party. This is because if Litchi is a consideration for someone, DJI has already made their sale. They gain nothing by being "better" than Litchi.

However Litchi, to exist, has to be better than GO4.

Because of these different business models, Litchi will always be trying harder to deliver more capability, ease of use, etc. than is available in GO4.

I tip my hat to DJI for providing an open system and full support for third parties. It keeps DJI on their toes in terms of GO4 functionality, and it provides us, the users, with even better and more functional alternatives if we need/want them.

What you may not know is that DJI developed a SDK that they made available to developers so that 3rd party apps could be made for the DJI line of products. So DJI created the entire system that allows 3rd party apps to exist. Why would they feel the need to compete with people who benefit from DJI's work and help DJI sell DJI products at limited expense to DJI themselves?

Reactions: geigy
@tcope, if post #10 was in response to my post #9, you may want to bother to read the entire post before responding, particularly the last paragraph.

@tcope, if post #10 was in response to my post #9, you may want to bother to read the entire post before responding, particularly the last paragraph.

No, it was not a reply to that post. I usually quote the posting but did not in this case. It was a reply to the OP's initial post.

Reactions: keith00
No, it was not a reply to that post. I usually quote the posting but did not in this case. It was a reply to the OP's initial post.
Well then,
6a00d8341bf80c53ef015390e305b6970b-320wi.jpg

Reactions: FatherXmas
DJI would be happy for someone to take the hassle of software and apps from them so they could concentrate on making money selling hardware not developing free apps
THIS! That's why they've given people their API. They have zero issues having other companies taking the software to the next level. Smart move in my opinion.

Litchi is built using an SDK from DJI. All the functions and workings are essentially there in the DJI app, but it's been made with safety in mind. For example, you can't set a waypoint mission before hand. So you can't really fly in to a tree /building by incorrectly setting too low a height.

Last edited:
Has anyone thought that DJI developed the SDK that they made available to developers so DJI can apply some of it to improve the
GO4 app ..... From what I seen on the DJI SDK site you have to log on to it to use it, so pretty much DJI can see what is being done
with there software ...... Do you think DJI made them agree to this with a TOS ?????? Your dam right they did .
just my opinion

Has anyone thought that DJI developed the SDK that they made available to developers so DJI can apply some of it to improve the
GO4 app ..... From what I seen on the DJI SDK site you have to log on to it to use it, so pretty much DJI can see what is being done
with there software ...... Do you think DJI made them agree to this with a TOS ?????? Your dam right they did .
just my opinion

That's not how it works. Licensing the API does not mean you have to give up your source code or other resources. Third parties develop for platforms where they can find a niche and make some money. Now, DJI might decide to buy Litchi, as some people have suggested, but they would not want to cut their legs off since their relationship is mutually beneficial.

Reactions: SkunkWerx's
Don't forget DJI GS Pro. Admittedly only available for IOS, but it pretty much is everything Litchi is... so DJI already has stepped up. It's a great app- I happen to love the waypoint planning and mission capabilities.

Reactions: SkunkWerx's
That's not how it works. Licensing the API does not mean you have to give up your source code or other resources. Third parties develop for platforms where they can find a niche and make some money. Now, DJI might decide to buy Litchi, as some people have suggested, but they would not want to cut their legs off since their relationship is mutually beneficial.
I wasn't really sure how it worked that's why I did say it was my opinion , Thank you for clarifying this to me ----- I have been reading about SDK developers of the DJI software and I came across an article that DJI is starting to hold back on resources to them ---- I intrepid it as DJI
not disclosing needed information for the SDK developers to continue there work , on what ever they are working on .
Pretty much the same as us by DJI releasing upgrade software with out fully disclosing what is being incorporated into it as far as changes that effect hardware
Again this is my personal opinion of how I intrepid what I have read and the past actions of DJI

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan