DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind?

Just look on your chosen os app store. I have the latest version of Wind Guru. If you meant which version of Gust Buster, I'm still waiting to hear back from you with a link as I can't find it anywhere.

Giddy, Wind Guru would be ideal where you are. The app is updated constantly from weather stations situated near sailing centres from coastal and inland waters. This app covers most of the world.

Thanks. I can't find Gust Buster on IOS, but it did throw up Windy, which I've downloaded. It gives wind speed in 3 hour chunks, whereas my existing BBC app goes down to one hour chunks. They may both be mapped into the same meteorological database. We'll see. I'll report back when I've used it a few times.

5c5c6b71d36ce45c26151b3ed5732d2f.jpg

Just look on your chosen os app store. I have the latest version of Wind Guru. If you meant which version of Gust Buster, I'm still waiting to hear back from you with a link as I can't find it anywhere.

It appears that wind guru is no longer available on the iOS App Store. I checked both the US and UK stores, then went to their website and found this:
f8ef84867016171cae8fb686a3dbef47.jpg

Last edited:
The Windy app turned out to be comprehensive. I changed the settings to show hourly chunks, and it shows tidal information. The truth is though, it doesn't need to be complicated. The BBC app shows clear, fast and well laid-out information. Both BBC and Windy are showing the same data. I prefer simple and straightforward to complex and noisy.

245c47631271958da52789af67e1aad9.jpg

The Windy app turned out to be comprehensive. I changed the settings to show hourly chunks, and it shows tidal information. The truth is though, it doesn't need to be complicated. The BBC app shows clear, fast and well laid-out information. Both BBC and Windy are showing the same data. I prefer simple and straightforward to complex and noisy.
Though with the Windy app, I am able to set the location I want to see. I am able to set a location away from land and get different results from what it's showing on shore. May be of use if you plan to fly out over a large body of water. (As a sailor, I find this especially useful)

I was planning to fly over water. I live overlooking the sea, and we've been watching a group of small ships working day and night a mile or so out. The wind (and my newbie status) has stopped me flying my drone out there. But I've also recently read about the Mavic sometimes having trouble navigating over large areas of water. Something else for me to worry about, and maybe a subject for a different thread. But I always value the advice and experience of others.

The wind (and my newbie status) has stopped me flying my drone out there.
I wouldn't be too worried about flying over large areas of water. I've also read than other pilots have reported problems but I can't find any reliable evidence to support these claims. I've never had any issues over water (lakes, reservoirs) so I would ignore your initial concerns. As a precaution it may be better to attempt your flight with an onshore breeze to maximise the inbound flight time.

Reactions: Huddy
i'm using WINDFINDER .. not bad :)

less than £20 spent on Amazon for an anemometer has proved to be a brilliant purchase for me - gives me a lot of peace of mind thinking its too windy to hold the device up and see its really only 10mph blowing. I know its likely to be windier higher but love getting a proper local reading I can trust and the device is very small and weighs nothing.

Proster Anemometer Handheld LCD Wind Speed Gauge with Thermometer Air Velocity Wind Speed Meter Air Flow and Temperature Measuring for Windsurfing Sailing Surfing Shooting Fishing Kite Flying Walking: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Last edited:
I have an app called "wind compass". It's free on IOS and seems pretty good so far.

less than £20 spent on Amazon for an anemometer has proved to be a brilliant purchase for me - gives me a lot of peace of mind thinking its too windy to hold the device up and see its really only 10mph blowing. I know its likely to be windier higher but love getting a proper local reading I can trust and the device is very small and weighs nothing.

Proster Anemometer Handheld LCD Wind Speed Gauge with Thermometer Air Velocity Wind Speed Meter Air Flow and Temperature Measuring for Windsurfing Sailing Surfing Shooting Fishing Kite Flying Walking: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
Ashamed to say I've never even thought of this. What a great idea. Even thiugh it won't give me the reading up above, I can at least see what winds I feel are in reality instead of guessing so I can gauge when to fly in the future and have a better idea how my mavic is handling when.

I keep seeing people mention wind readings from their mavic. Is this data only available in flight flies or can this be displayed somewhere on the screen?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samdesign