DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Winter light sucks

Jonny_Pain

Reactions
What are some tips for flying on winter afternoons? The sun is so low- the google view sucks and so does the controller view. Even flying away from the sun anytime during the day it seems this winter in the north east.

Yup, rubbish light this time of year here too.
Up here in Scotland, it felt like -5°C with the wind chill today.
My hands were so cold I could barely feel the controls. :eek:
A tip I saw the other day was fly the drone sitting in your car if possible.
Doesn't help with the rubbish light though. :(

Reactions: radman
I did a flight this afternoon on the northeast coast and while it was baltic I thought the low sun worked quite well ( I am no David bailey however )

I try to fly away from the sun and diagonal when returning to my home point.

But I do agree winter light is often rubbish ....

Huh? Low sun is what gets you the best pictures you can get, nice shadows, great contrast, warm colors etc...

Of course when winter is really in and everything is grey and brown even the best light is useless. But it's not the low sun's fault ;)

vlcsnap-2017-11-24-20h10m39s773.jpg vlcsnap-2017-11-24-20h10m52s601.jpg vlcsnap-2017-11-24-20h12m59s297.jpg vlcsnap-2017-11-24-20h13m50s764.jpg

Last edited:
as a prof photographer, I can say that low sun and long shadows are what we crave. Yes, the days are shorter, and the morning magic hour that is usually so still and quiet can be very busy, but these are the best of times for dramatic photography.

Reactions: Kilrah
And I should add, that of all the drones I've flown, the Mavic is the LEAST prone to cold weather battery issues. So little stands in the way of getting great shots on these little machines...it astounds me on a regular basis,

Try fingerless gloves, I use them when out with my camera. They don't make your hands warm but they go a long way to stopping your fingers turning blue with the cold.

as a prof photographer, I can say that low sun and long shadows are what we crave. Yes, the days are shorter, and the morning magic hour that is usually so still and quiet can be very busy, but these are the best of times for dramatic photography.
If you don't get your lazy behind out of bed and leave the house before noon and the thing you wanted to try out the new Mavic pano mode had the sun glaring into the lens - nothing turns out very good. In my defense, it's been a while since I could sleep in.

Like others, I enjoy the winter light ... and the winter weather.

(Southern) UK has some clear sky, and very frosty, mornings coming up in the next few days.

Looking forward to it ... other than the getting up early and driving somewhere that's pretty enough to warrant the effort. :p

Actually, in the UK, as years of owning a convertible car will attest to ... some of the sunniest days are the frosty days,

Reactions: FASTFJR
Like others, I enjoy the winter light ... and the winter weather.

(Southern) UK has some clear sky, and very frosty, mornings coming up in the next few days.

Looking forward to it ... other than the getting up early and driving somewhere that's pretty enough to warrant the effort. :p

Actually, in the UK, as years of owning a convertible car will attest to ... some of the sunniest days are the frosty days,
At least in the winter early morning isn't as early as in summer

At least in the winter early morning isn't as early as in summer
But in the summer, early mornings are when I go to bed. :p

... and, EVEN in the UK, they're warmer! ;)

Nitrile gloves mate.

Get a pair of fingerless gloves and wear a pair of disposable nitrile gloves below.

They keep the wind chill off your fingers, don't affect control and work with touch screen.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu