DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yaw head tracking question

dwallersv

Reactions
When head tracking is activated, does the yaw resulting from turning your head do a simple rotation of the aircraft altering its course direction, or does it instead simulate a full 3-axis gimbal and decouple heading from course so you can "look around" while not affecting the direction the aircraft is traveling?

I suspect the former (bad!), even though the Mavic is way beyond capable of the latter with the sophisticated, redundant, sensitive sensor package it has.

For example, this is exactly what "headless mode" is on cheap toy drones. It only requires a six-axis accelerometer, which are a dime a dozen these days and the Mavic has two very good precision IMUs.

Backed up with a periodic correction from GPS data (regression over some number of samples), and the Mavic could easily calculate and maintain course independent of where the "front" of the quad is pointing. Actual course direction changes through left stick yaw input would just simulate the yaw in software, while controlling the quad to follow a curved course.

Both "modes" should be available.

It is the former, as the Mavic's gimbal does not fully rotate.
Doesn't need to.

Heading and Course for a quad can easily be completely independent of each other. In fact, when you set Course Lock you get exactly what I'm talking about, without the feature of being able to change course direction with the yaw stick.

Doesn't need to.

Heading and Course for a quad can easily be completely independent of each other. In fact, when you set Course Lock you get exactly what I'm talking about, without the feature of being able to change course direction with the yaw stick.
Yes it does. Both options are available in head tracking. You can choose to move the gimbal around with your head to look around without altering the course of the Mavic, or you can choose to have the Mavic yaw when rotating your head.

Yes it does. Both options are available in head tracking. You can choose to move the gimbal around with your head to look around without altering the course of the Mavic, or you can choose to have the Mavic yaw when rotating your head.
Okay, if yaw input from the stick then alters the course as expected I will shout AWESOME.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998