DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Your max wind.

Howcroft22

Reactions
wondering what everyone’s thresholds are as far as what should stop you from flying. I think 25 mph wind is as much as I’d go. i realize the mavic can travel around 40 mph. 25 on the ground is more the higher you go. When I see more than 25 mph I call it quits.

20mph for me.

Have flown in higher where it has picked up after take off.

If I can't make forward headway with sport mode off & OA on that's usually my sign it's too high for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
Newbie here, 15MPH is my limit for now. Have that limit set in my UAV Forecast app.

if over 15mph I go up 100feet and hover, if it drifts that would indicate a higher wind speed or direction at altitude.

Last edited:
The max wind speed for the Mavic is 20mph. its not there as guess work its there for a purpose, these little machines just are not able to cope with higher wind speeds. If you read the posts about lost Mavic's they are mostly described as being blown away when at high altitudes. My advice is not to fly unless the conditions are right and check the weather apps.
if you fly gas planes you will of course not experience or notice stronger winds very much.

Reactions: choo choo
The max wind speed for the Mavic is 20mph. its not there as guess work its there for a purpose, these little machines just are not able to cope with higher wind speeds. If you read the posts about lost Mavic's they are mostly described as being blown away when at high altitudes. My advice is not to fly unless the conditions are right and check the weather apps.
if you fly gas planes you will of course not experience or notice stronger winds very much.

At what altitude would you set that? Ground or 20 mph at the average crusing elevation?

20mph. UAV FORECAST app(free) so forecast at various heights.iOS and maybe Android

20mph. UAV FORECAST app(free) so forecast at various heights.iOS and maybe Android

Right I use that on my devices. But in the app settings on UAV forecast you set the thresholds for temps, wind speeds etc.

At what altitude would you set that? Ground or 20 mph at the average crusing elevation?
That's where problems occur, ground speed initially but when you get higher if the speed increases then bring it down to lower speeds. if you set return to home it will clime at first to your pre set height which could be into high winds and then it will drift.
So as you have seen on theses posts there are very experienced guys who can initiate sport mode and fly it manually back. I would advise that you practice this in calm winds before even thinking about risking your drone.

That's where problems occur, ground speed initially but when you get higher if the speed increases then bring it down to lower speeds. if you set return to home it will clime at first to your pre set height which could be into high winds and then it will drift.
So as you have seen on theses posts there are very experienced guys who can initiate sport mode and fly it manually back. I would advise that you practice this in calm winds before even thinking about risking your drone.

That’s what I do. If I’m not sure where it is. I bring it up to where I know it’s above obstacles and not too much higher. Then I just watch the gps as I’m headed back in sport mode. Seems to be the fastest way back. Twice as fast as return to Home.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga