DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Your most common filter

There's no way the forecast can be accurate enough to give you a precise number. It depends on the direction you're shooting, cloud cover etc etc..

Honestly, I'd say you're overthinking it...

The app would be better off called shutter speed calculator. You pick the filter and it will tell you what shutter speed.

As many say for "cinematic footage" one wants to have roughly double thier frame rate as thier chosen shutter speed. So when one chooses thier Frames Per Second and then doubles that to get thier Shutter Speed the app will suggest what ND filter to use.

Pointing the camera at the brightest area of the sky while selecting the ND filter using the app is recommended as that will be the area that need the most filtering.

Reactions: Howcroft22
As many say for "cinematic footage" one wants to have roughly double thier frame rate as thier chosen shutter speed. So when one chooses thier Frames Per Second and then doubles that to get thier Shutter Speed the app will suggest what ND filter to use.

Pointing the camera at the brightest area of the sky while selecting the ND filter using the app is recommended as that will be the area that need the most filtering.

This is helpful.

Well... that would be the case if you were worried only about exposure but since you're using the filter to drop your shutter speed so that moving objects look natural it would make sense to adjust the filter for the area where the moving objects actually are which I assume most of the time will be on the ground/the ground itself...

But again, that's splitting hairs..

Well... that would be the case if you were worried only about exposure but since you're using the filter to drop your shutter speed so that moving objects look natural it would make sense to adjust the filter for the area where the moving objects actually are which I assume most of the time will be on the ground/the ground itself...

But again, that's splitting hairs..

Super Good point and this would apply IF you did not point the camera skyward. If you go with a filter slightly higher than needed the resulting footage is easier to correct in post. Versus using a filter that is too low in value.

This is helpful.

So I tried the Polar Pro Filter Calculator App for Android on my Nvidia Shield K1 Tablet this evening and it is WAY different then the one for IOs devices. The Android version does not ask for ones location and as such does not appear to pull in data for the current weather conditions like the IOs version does. It also does not provide Wind Values or KP index values, etc.

So we were really talking about apples and oranges. The name is even different for the app. IOs version is called Polar Pro Filter and the Android version is called Polar Pro Filter Calculator.

This is what has caused the confusion. I admit that the Android version seems much less useful.

So I tried the Polar Pro Filter Calculator App for Android on my Nvidia Shield K1 Tablet this evening and it is WAY different then the one for IOs devices. The Android version does not ask for ones location and as such does not appear to pull in data for the current weather conditions like the IOs version does. It also does not provide Wind Values or KP index values, etc.

So we were really talking about apples and oranges. The name is even different for the app. IOs version is called Polar Pro Filter and the Android version is called Polar Pro Filter Calculator.

This is what has caused the confusion. I admit that the Android version seems much less useful.

Yup totally different

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dtcexpress1