DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Your opinion on police using drones

ThomasbHkR

Reactions
Im quite new here so i apologize if this isn't the right thread.
Im curious to see other peoples opinion on police using drones.

Specifically we have local police that will fly there drones over estates secretly. (Our community is quite close so word gets around quickly)

To me if your not doing anything wrong you shouldn't have much to worry about. Just little odd.

OK, cool. You specifically know that these 'drones' are Police???
Unless they are looking for some thing/one specifically, I don't think they'd bother??
Your rules over there vaguely say that you can fly over property above 50 mtrs (from memory)..
Contact the local station and ask them???

Your rules over there vaguely say that you can fly over property above 50 mtrs (from memory)..

That's incorrect, as a "normal" user you cannot fly over a built up area, or people or things "not under your control". The police, if indeed it is them, would probably not be subject to such rules.

Sorry to sound doubtful but this sounds a little paranoid - "secretly flying over estates - word gets around quickly" - sadly not an unusual response to people seeing a drone flying over them. How do you know it isn't little Johnny down the road who got a mavic for his birthday?

I fully support Law Enforcement using this technology.

With that being said, I also support the notion that @Congoblue mentioned of it possibly being little Johnny flying his hobby drone. In the right conditions they can fly fairly significant distances far away from the launch point so it could be a neighbor in an estate further away.

Reactions: dirkclod
That's incorrect, as a "normal" user you cannot fly over a built up area, or people or things "not under your control". The police, if indeed it is them, would probably not be subject to such rules.

Sorry to sound doubtful but this sounds a little paranoid - "secretly flying over estates - word gets around quickly" - sadly not an unusual response to people seeing a drone flying over them. How do you know it isn't little Johnny down the road who got a mavic for his birthday?
It's not a conspiracy thing. They posted pictures along with the note. Just curious figured they would have to abide by the same rule's. I own a magic 2 pro myself.

I fully support Law Enforcement using this technology.

With that being said, I also support the notion that @Congoblue mentioned of it possibly being little Johnny flying his hobby drone. In the right conditions they can fly fairly significant distances far away from the launch point so it could be a neighbor in an estate further away.
I fully agree I support it. But only if it is used correctly.

Sorry, I am from Australia, I was simply trying to recollect my study of UK rules.....
This is what I was thinking of.....
(I also do not disagree with your other assumptions...)Untitled.jpg

So what if they are, we are on camera most of the time in any town or city as it is and don't forget dash cams and home security cameras.

It's not a conspiracy thing. They posted pictures along with the note. Just curious figured they would have to abide by the same rule's. I own a magic 2 pro myself.
Ah ok, you made it sound like a neighbourhood rumour mill. If it was a 4 rotor drone I would have thought they'd have the same rules as if anything fails it'll fall. If a 6 or 8 rotor it's a lot safer.

Im quite new here so i apologize if this isn't the right thread.
Im curious to see other peoples opinion on police using drones.

Specifically we have local police that will fly there drones over estates secretly. (Our community is quite close so word gets around quickly)

To me if your not doing anything wrong you shouldn't have much to worry about. Just little odd.
If you are concerned about this, write to your regional Police Comissioner, and just ask what rules are being adhered to when Police fly Drones over your estate. That will get you a response that will then allow you to question activities that don't 'seem to be' within those rules.
I just sent an e-mail into my local Police Comissioner after a Suffolk Police website article that asked Drone operators to be mindful of nesting birds around the county - seemed to give a 'license to bash the drone guy!'. I must say, I got a quick response from the Comissioner, and then a response from the Sergeant who wrote the article - who I then did a back-&-forth with, and then another e-mail from the guy who looks after publicity for Suffolk Police ... So they did respond quickly and take it seriously!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54