DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1 Week in - add ons and lessons learned so far.

So after a week I've learned so much already trying to get the best footage from the drone, some of my assumptions busted and previous filming experience out of the window.

1/ I already knew as with any photographic device Manual Settings are a must but a few settings I have had to consider differently like shutter speed vs drone speed settings, also using the flat cinelike profile gives me more options in post..

2/ ND Filters, I have only ever needed them in my photography for effects especially polarising filters, but found even in cloudy conditions I already need them for slow shutter speeds with it's wide aperture.

3/ Landing Pad, after my drone converting into a lawn mower and grass wrapping around the props a landing pad is a must (using a DIY garden kneeling pad for now).

4/ Kit bag, though I got the Combo pack the cases are trash so got a decent all in 1 padded shoulder bag so I can fit all my gear and extras in making life a lot easier to setup and pack away.

5/ Speed isn't king, though the Mavic Air is fast I've had to slow down a few settings to get better camera movements ESC and gimbal speeds in particular.

6/ RTH is a bit scary, I've changed it to 'Hover' for now unless I am in a large field.

7/ Sun Shade, using an iPhone 6 I'm struggling to see it so ordered a cheap screen until I can afford a tablet.

8/ Flying skills, a figure of 8 is harder than I thought! but I will get there as muscle memory kicks in, apart from that I am finding it easy to fly though at altitude I sometime loose orientation.

9/ Setting it up indoors is a challenge, trying to prep for an outdoor flight and updating firmware I'm having to take it outdoors to set it up, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

10/ Beginner mode was fine for all of 5 minutes, I learned more quickly by turning it off.

11/ Overfilming, I filmed far too much and found it's best to rehearse the shot first then repeat it while filming so I get less poor shots.

12/ IT'S SO MUCH FUN! - no regrets at all and had so much pleasure flying it and also when I get home to review the jaw dropping quality!

Still got plenty to learn but it's one of the best pieces of filming equipment I've bought, not only does it do the job well it's also great fun to use (unlike my full Steadicam and Vest setup which is exhausting).

Thanks for the info!

People look at me funny when I put down the landing pad when I'm about to go flying. Only takes one time of kicking up dirt, water, grass, pebbles, etc to see the value. It's not just for the take-off (though depending on your location that is actually more important) or landing.

Remember that you don't want loss of signal to result in RTH when you're flying in an area where there is something above you...you have no CA sensors pointing up. For those situations, select "Hover" instead of "RTH".
There you go. Thank you for that. I got a RTH in 9 seconds warning last night and tried unsuccessfully to retake control. I wanted to land on the stone patio and was about 2 ft from the ground when it suddenly shot straight up, ignoring all my inputs. Darn, but at least obstacle avoidance will steer it away from the tree...NOPE! Straight up into the canopy. Visions of shattered drone parts on the stone flashed in my mind. I screamed out in terror, “NOooooo” (I think that’s what I said). The MA recovered and flew back up to the deck where I started (another poor decision, but my focus here is on RTH).

So how do you quickly cancel RTH? I don’t want to reprogram a default, just want to be able to adjust landing when necessary.

Can be bloody...
Come on now, what do you have for propellers - doubled edged daggers?:p
Having got that out of the way, I experienced my first bite yesterday and it was totally my own fault. MA landed on my open palm gently as ever, motors cut off but I guess I was too quick in trying to hold it. The props had not settled down. It was a gentle bite, but it got me right on the nail of my thumb, and it hurt. I think I have a better picture of how painful a full on impact could be. So, yes, I agree. It can be bloody.

Come on now, what do you have for propellers - doubled edged daggers?:p
Having got that out of the way, I experienced my first bite yesterday and it was totally my own fault. MA landed on my open palm gently as ever, motors cut off but I guess I was too quick in trying to hold it. The props had not settled down. It was a gentle bite, but it got me right on the nail of my thumb, and it hurt. I think I have a better picture of how painful a full on impact could be. So, yes, I agree. It can be bloody.
Hey, call me a baby, but it cut into one nail, cracked two others, and made numerous slices on my fingers an hands. Pictures from the following day or two. And there would have been a lot more blood had any gotten on the new deck carpet...so I’m told.

...So how do you quickly cancel RTH? I don’t want to reprogram a default, just want to be able to adjust landing when necessary.
It normally gives you 10 seconds to cancel before RTH kicks in. If RTH has started and if you still have connection to the RC, you can press the RC pause button and it should stop and hover.

One thing I would seriously consider is getting the DJI Care protection straight off. It is available easy for the first 48 hours after you activate your drone, and can still purchase after the initial 48 hour period expires, however is a pain. I didn’t think I needed it initially, however after the first “signal lost” message it scared me enough to make me wish I just went ahead and got it... Especially with the Air and the known issues with the WiFi.

It normally gives you 10 seconds to cancel before RTH kicks in. If RTH has started and if you still have connection to the RC, you can press the RC pause button and it should stop and hover.
Right in front of my face. Tested it out tonight. Of course it worked. Many thanks!

People look at me funny when I put down the landing pad when I'm about to go flying. Only takes one time of kicking up dirt, water, grass, pebbles, etc to see the value. It's not just for the take-off (though depending on your location that is actually more important) or landing.

I did one grass landing this weekend (very dry and did not rain for the past 4 months. Would be the last time I did that. So opted to hand catch the drone
(This was my first time flying so still dumb enough to do it).

Must just get the hand launching down as well now. I did order my launch pad, but only going to get it the 22nd of August, with some landing gear.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair