DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Hours wasted trying to update

Marty Markoe

Reactions
Site
www.martymarkoephotography.com
Long story short, when connecting SC via USB message came up Update available. Started it. Had already started Assistant 2 as well and that was updating. After several failures on both, shut down RC and Assistant 2. Checked DJI downloads and saw there was a new Assistant 2 available as of yesterday. Downloaded that and still fails to update through either SC or Assistant 2.

One think I noticed was the directions for the update on the SC said 3GB memory was necessary. Checking memory on SC saw 6+GB out of 8GB was used although I'd not downloaded anything other than GO4.

It seems at this point the best option time wise is to reset the SC to factory and start firmware update over again. I've seen references to holding C1 and C2 and shutter but that seems to have been for a Mavic Pro RC. Anyone know how to do a SC reset for sure?

Assuming I'm finally able to update to newest SC firmware, is it necessary to update GO4 and the aircraft?

Marty

Reactions: TN Ray
  • Delete the junk cache videos off your radio
  • Use the cable that came with your drone
  • Use a USB 2 port
  • Profit
And this is a pet peeve, and DJI is guilty, it is disk space not memory. I just cringed when I read that during the upgrade.

I’m reading all these posts about the difficulties and I’m trying to understand what the reason is for doing it in the first place. What am I missing. Mine has been doing what it’s supposed to with just a few minor glitches but I fly by myself, so I’ll just hang back on firmware like I normally do. I’ll say a little prayer for the unfortunate.

This update added the ability to update the apps that run on the controller independently of the firmware of the radio so hopefully things will get better down the road. This upgrade was a bit clunky since you were given the option of upgrading on the radio that 100% does not work. Yes I know they told me but it was still an option. I wasted a good 4 hours messing with it but it is done. Timestamp and date is fixed. Waypoint flights can be saved. Everything is in English. Good times.

Reactions: Starz
i had same issues with SC update failing.

step 1 - make sure to download latest assistant 2.0.8.
step 2 - take sd card out of SC
step 3 - disable wifi setting on your SC, then go to settings and do a factory reset.
step 4 - reboot your controller and while not touching anything on the screen - connect to the dji assistant and initiate the update from the assistant. pay attention how much time it takes to transfer files to the SC - if it skips instantly - it is wrong.

if done like that, it should be able to complete the update, hopefully.

• Delete the junk cache videos off your radio
  • Use the cable that came with your drone
  • Use a USB 2 port
  • Profit
And this is a pet peeve, and DJI is guilty, it is disk space not memory. I just cringed when I read that during the upgrade.

that is standard with any install, you need disk space to download the data, additional disk space to 'cache the install files' and finally disk space to install the app from the cache installation files, you should always be prepared to have ~3 times the disk space of an application to successfully install.

now - depending on how the executable (using that term universally as this isn't a Windows device) 'cleans' up post install it may remove the cache and DL'd file or you may need to do that manually; you can validate but connecting your SC to a PC/Mac, select the "view files" prompt on the SC and then use Finder(mac) or Explorer(Win) to see what's left in memory.

additionally to those having the Micro SD card issues, ensure it's setup as the default data location in your SC settings, that will solve the issues regarding space issues. the SC natively doesn't have sufficient operation space in my opinion and i don't even use it, just direct the SC to only use my MicroSD card.

that is standard with any install, you need disk space to download the data, additional disk space to 'cache the install files' and finally disk space to install the app from the cache installation files, you should always be prepared to have ~3 times the disk space of an application to successfully install.

now - depending on how the executable (using that term universally as this isn't a Windows device) 'cleans' up post install it may remove the cache and DL'd file or you may need to do that manually; you can validate but connecting your SC to a PC/Mac, select the "view files" prompt on the SC and then use Finder(mac) or Explorer(Win) to see what's left in memory.

additionally to those having the Micro SD card issues, ensure it's setup as the default data location in your SC settings, that will solve the issues regarding space issues. the SC natively doesn't have sufficient operation space in my opinion and i don't even use it, just direct the SC to only use my MicroSD card.

Yes I understand, 25 year programming and in IT ;) it was just the wording of it. IT IS NOT MEMORY. Memory is volatile and typically faster than SD or HD drives.

Mine went through Smooth as butter. Updated to it before I did anything else. I did use the provided DJI cable and the DJI Assistant.

Reactions: AnzacJack
The key for me was the DJI assistant 2.0.8. DJI should have let the user knows that you need the latest version of DJI Assistant.

i had same issues with SC update failing.

step 1 - make sure to download latest assistant 2.0.8.
step 2 - take sd card out of SC
step 3 - disable wifi setting on your SC, then go to settings and do a factory reset.
step 4 - reboot your controller and while not touching anything on the screen - connect to the dji assistant and initiate the update from the assistant. pay attention how much time it takes to transfer files to the SC - if it skips instantly - it is wrong.

if done like that, it should be able to complete the update, hopefully.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones