DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Remote ID questions

All manufacturers have been working on RID. Autel will roll it out with v3, and many others are ready to go. They just needed to get the final MOC from ASTM. No manufacturers have been sitting on the sidelines waiting. They just need to tweek their systems and apply for a DOC.

Three months should be plenty.

RDQ v. FAA was the leading cause of the delay in enforcement. The law judges took way too long to get their ruling out. That's why it was delayed.

DJI didn't lobby for RID. But they did have the foresight to put it into their drones for the last few years.

The FAA should have just accepted the DJI RID as the official RID. It's simple to use, and already available on over 75% of the drone in the air at the moment. It would have been a much smoother rollout.

All it takes is an app. There is one already in the Google Play store. And more than a couple more under development. They'll be ready in plenty of time for the 9/16/23 compliance date. Not an issue.
The droneID app?

I've had a conversation about this with one of my FAA folks at [email protected]. I was bugging him about it, and he finally just called me. I was on Geeksvana Wednesday night, and he wanted me to have the correct info to put out for folks.

For now, there is nothing that needs to be done if you have one of the drones that DJI (or the others) have been granted a Declaration of Compliance (DOC).

If you have a drone with the DOC, at some point you'll need to edit your registration. You can now on some, but not on others. And this is only for those that are registered under 107. I'm not sure about the 44809 registration yet, I haven't heard. But I've asked. I'll pass that along.

What you do is go into your FAA Drone Zone inventory and check to see if you can edit your drone. Some you can, and some you can't. And you can edit some that aren't even RID yet. So best thing to do is just wait until it's required.

But if you're like me and want to get things done, check you inventory. For mine, all I could do is edit my Avata. My Mavic 3s have RID MOCs, but they're not set up to edit on the DZ yet.

For my Avata, you simply click the three dots on the right of the inventory and hit "edit". That brings up the edit screen. That should automatically change the serial number on you drone. In the case of the Avata, it adds "1581F4QW" to the front of your serial number. Each of the models is different. Once that's done, you simply reprint your registration and you're good to go. I did that to my Avata, but I can't to any of the other drones I have with a DOC.

There is supposed to be a firmware update that will actually bring your drones with a DOC into compliance. But again, that's not required until 9/16/23.z

So don't panic. I've been told that FAA IT is working on getting the DZ updated, but since we have a full year, it's not a priority for them. Once it is ready, I have no doubt they'll get the word out. So stay tuned. I know we'll push it out.

I'll also pass along any more info I get from them about the how hobbyists will re-register.

Everyone have a great weekend, and fly safe!
Excellent info. Thanks Vic!

Reactions: journo
Hi, Well like a real airplane you need to turn on the transponder to transmit your locations. Remember the Jet Airliner that the pilot turned off the transponder and flew around a bit till he crashed in the Ocean? Air Traffic control couldn't locate their position. They had a general idea of whereabouts due to the engines having a device that the manufacturer would send out signals every once in a while to get info on the performance of the jet engines.

Hi, Well like a real airplane you need to turn on the transponder to transmit your locations. Remember the Jet Airliner that the pilot turned off the transponder and flew around a bit till he crashed in the Ocean? Air Traffic control couldn't locate their position. They had a general idea of whereabouts due to the engines having a device that the manufacturer would send out signals every once in a while to get info on the performance of the jet engines.
I think you are talking about ACARS.

Maybe if the dji go fly app gives me the wrong coordinates if lose the quad

Should I try to compare them with the ones from remote ID? Maybe it'll save me from having to get one of those beacon finder units.

Oops forgot to bring another phone with wifi or Bluetooth capability with that kind of range and the necessary app to do that. I knew i left home without something I needed. So used to flying with just the phone needed to operate the quad instead of using crystal sky.

A phone app for RID sounds like a good idea for most users, but it will not work if you’re out of cellular range…. Im anticipating a lot of issues trying to be RID compliant without having to pay big bucks to be able to do projects in remote areas, especially where Blue Certification is needed. ugh 😣

Last edited:
A phone app for RID sounds like a good idea for most users, but it will not work if you’re out of cellular range…. Im anticipating a lot of issues trying to be RID compliant without having to pay big bucks to be able to do projects in remote areas, especially where Blue Certification is needed. ugh 😣
Cellular not required in all countries. Must be in one of those cellular required remote ID countries.

No, not until 9/16/23.

Yes, but only the Method of Compliance has been accepted, it is not active yet.

There aren't any transponders available yet. You don't need to worry about it until the 2023 date.

You are NOT alone in your confusion. With the DJI release, the confusion went off the charts.

For not, there is nothing anyone needs to do (or can do) when it comes to any drone and Remote ID.
Hi,Curious my Air 2S that I got in June 2022 I was told it has Remote ID built in,does that mean it already has the transponder installed/built in or will I need to get a transponder?

Just curious.

Hi,Curious my Air 2S that I got in June 2022 I was told it has Remote ID built in,does that mean it already has the transponder installed/built in or will I need to get a transponder?

Just curious.
Yes, if you've updated the drone, it broadcasts RID. And yes, they have all the necessary equipment onboard. Otherwise the FAA wouldn't have given them a DOC.

Yes, if you've updated the drone, it broadcasts RID. And yes, they have all the necessary equipment onboard. Otherwise the FAA wouldn't have given them a DOC.
Oh ok cool thank you.

Reactions: Vic Moss
If you have been updating your air2s it is broadcasting through wifi your RID # when you spin up the props.
It shows up for 10-15 seconds every minute or so, and I can pick the signal up with my phone when the aircraft is 800- 1000 feet away. I use a DJI RC Pro controller so my phone is available searching for wifi networks.
Your RID # is in the fly app.

On my Two mavic minis. I purchased the DRONETAG BEACON. I am a recreational flier and can transfer RID drone one to the other. I think with a 107 rash Drone has to have their own. Like your registration numbers

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett