DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3D Mapping Software Mavic 2 Pro

rd.kristopher

Reactions
I just bought the Mavic 2 Pro last week, and gonna use it for 3d mapping. Just started to practice for photo & videos using the DJI Go 4, that comes with the drone. And now, i want to do 3D Mapping, what software should i use? Can the DJI Go 4 use for 3D mapping or should i use Pix4D (just heard of it from youtube). Or there are any other good software?

Thanks

@rd: The best and least expensive photogrammetry software you can get for creating 3D models is Agisoft Metashape Standard Edition: www.agisoft.com. A permanent standard license is $179. You'll get credit for that amount if you ever want to upgrade to their professional license ($3499). They have a free 30-day trial license for both versions. The professional edition can produce an exportable georeferenced 2D orthomosaic, while the standard edition cannot do so. The standard edition is still able to produce high resolution 3D models.

There are many good YouTube videos that demonstrate how to use Metashape (previously called Photoscan). One of the best producers of Metashape/Photoscan videos is Rich Carpentier (
).

I recommend you get a free 15-day license for DroneDeploy to plan and fly your missions. The license gives you full access to their image processing and georeferenced orthomosaic image export. But an annual license costs $999. A monthly license costs $149. However, at the end of the 15-day free trial, you can continue to use DD's mission planner app for free, indefinately. The DD mission planner will continue to fly the Mavic 2 Pro and have the camera take the images, which you can then import into Metashape for processing on your desktop. A high resolution dense point cloud requires substantial computer horsepower. Again, try the free licences of both products to see how they work and what they can do for you.

To turn a non-georectified 2D photomosaic from the standard edition of Metashape into a georectified orthomosaic you can use the free open source software called QGIS (Welcome to the QGIS project!).

I hope I've pointed you in the right direction. -- JShreen

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa