DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3D-printed Mini 3 Pro extension legs (clipon)

Good evening

I worked on the first extension (published with photo) that makes me change the drone from 19mm high of the engine to 60mm. rear floor at 55mm. EVA material used, fit with a Velcro belt weight on the precision balance 248G. In France it is important to stay below 250G., because the A1 classification gives advantages over the A3 classification above 250G.

Hey everyone, looking for someone with excellent 3d printing experience. Was needing some dji mini 2 arms printed that are 1" longer than the original arms. Purpose is to put dji mini 3 propellers on my dji mini 2. Have motor caps that raise propellers slightly, only need slightly longer arms to fit the larger propellers. I guess I need someone to "cad" these longer arms so I can have them printed professionally or I can pay someone to help me get these printed. Just looking to keep close to the the same weight, color/material. (Just make center narrow sections of arms 1" longer) Thanks to all that took the time to read this, hopefully someone is willing to help create a dji mini 2 "pro"

Probably not all that difficult, but it would probably be best to have an existing arm in hand to measure from.

However, it may not work as you'd hope, because longer arms and different propellers really need to be tuned in software. The current software in the drone has been made for the flight characteristics with the stock arms and propellers, so if you change it, it might not work properly.

Reactions: Cpadrutt
One worry i'd have with that design is increase drag and therefore more susceptible to the wind - the flat edges towards the direction of flight are going to present quite a surface area to the wind.
It *might* have an effect on wind handling and/or endurance.

Reactions: Cpadrutt
One worry i'd have with that design is increase drag and therefore more susceptible to the wind - the flat edges towards the direction of flight are going to present quite a surface area to the wind.
It *might* have an effect on wind handling
Also thought about swapping mini 3 arms in place of mini 2 arms. Looks like the front right arm of mini 3 would go on mini 2 left rear and so on. This would address the drag issue with the mini 2 arms being "flat" mini 3 arms are rounded. If anyone knows anyone that is good at 3d printing and could take the time to "cad" these arms so they are as close to original as possible.

Didn't take long before some scumbag purchased the files, then made some minor visual modifications and presents it as his own design:

stolen1.jpg

@mroek please dont take this the wrong way
while you design looks great, and undoubtably does the job of keeping the drone well above the ground,i am concerned with the fitment to the front arms,having an impact on the hinge area and the arms themselves during constant use ,i hope that doesnt turn out to be the case
this is just my personal opinion
I don't have my Mini 3 yet. Do the front arms have a different folding mechanism than the Mini 2 that might make it susceptible to damage? Here is a photo of my Mini 2 with PGY leg extensions.

IMG_1955.jpg

I don't have my Mini 3 yet. Do the front arms have a different folding mechanism than the Mini 2 that might make it susceptible to damage? Here is a photo of my Mini 2 with PGY leg extensions.

View attachment 151399

The folding is a bit different (with the Mini 3 you can fold in whichever order you please), but there is no reason to think that the arms are less sturdy because of that (in my opinion). The arms are designed to carry the weight of the drone and then some (during flight, there will be more strain on the arms than by it sitting on the ground with the leg extensions), so I don't think there's any problem using these extensions for fear of damage to the arms. The real issue is if you want to stay below 250 grams, which is not possible with these arms (or any other extension methods, for that matter).

The folding is a bit different (with the Mini 3 you can fold in whichever order you please), but there is no reason to think that the arms are less sturdy because of that (in my opinion). The arms are designed to carry the weight of the drone and then some (during flight, there will be more strain on the arms than by it sitting on the ground with the leg extensions), so I don't think there's any problem using these extensions for fear of damage to the arms. The real issue is if you want to stay below 250 grams, which is not possible with these arms (or any other extension methods, for that matter).
I really like your idea a lot and not so crazy about the sled design or the one that fastens around the Mini 3 body. I'd love to get a set like yours. Minimal in weight and wind resistance. You wouldn't want to make a set for me, would you? I don't know anyone who has a 3D printer.

Please stay and keep posting. I've enjoyed your posts over the past several weeks. It takes moments to translate. If one or two members are offended by words they can't translate, ignore them.

He has stayed here, and he also chose to obey the forum rules and he is now posting in English, so all is good.

I really like your idea a lot and not so crazy about the sled design or the one that fastens around the Mini 3 body. I'd love to get a set like yours. Minimal in weight and wind resistance. You wouldn't want to make a set for me, would you? I don't know anyone who has a 3D printer.

Sorry, but I think you'll be better off finding someone that has a 3D-printer. Maybe there's a makerspace local to you? And also, overseas shipping is way too expensive for something as cheap as this.

Sorry, but I think you'll be better off finding someone that has a 3D-printer. Maybe there's a makerspace local to you? And also, overseas shipping is way too expensive for something as cheap as this.
How does one acquire the file to provide for a local 3D printer if I can find one? I have no idea how these things go. If I had the space at home I'd probably be interested enough to buy one. Sadly our small place is stuffed to the limit.

How does one acquire the file to provide for a local 3D printer if I can find one? I have no idea how these things go. If I had the space at home I'd probably be interested enough to buy one. Sadly our small place is stuffed to the limit.

There's a link in the first post in this thread which will take you to a website called Cults3D. The link takes you directly to these extension legs, where the files can be purchased.

As for getting yourself a printer, some models are actually quite small (for example this one), and don't really take up much space. Granted, the small ones can only print small things (like these extension legs) due to the limited build volume, but it could still be a starting point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose