DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4K at 60 FPS H.265 Only Video?

Bluebird715

Reactions
I shot some video footage at 4K at 60 FPS (H.265 was the only option) and my computer couldn't handle that H.265 clip. It was so slow when editing in Davinci Resolve. I had to export it to 1080P just to use it. Why is there no option for H.264 at 4K 60 FPS? I using it to shoot a house so is it better to use 2.7K at 60 FPS (H.264) or just use 1080P at 60 FPS (H.264). My video will be delivered in 1080P. TIA

Learn to use proxies. Saves so much time, you don't even need to do a proper proxy format. Just crush/encode your footage as a 720p version and use that as a proxy

Reactions: jlatas
I shot some video footage at 4K at 60 FPS (H.265 was the only option) and my computer couldn't handle that H.265 clip. It was so slow when editing in Davinci Resolve. I had to export it to 1080P just to use it. Why is there no option for H.264 at 4K 60 FPS? I using it to shoot a house so is it better to use 2.7K at 60 FPS (H.264) or just use 1080P at 60 FPS (H.264). My video will be delivered in 1080P. TIA
4K at 60fps is twice the data rate of 4K at 30fps. In order to handle it, the MA2 processor needs the data to be recorded in H.265 because the H.264 file size is too big to handle 4K at 60fps. 2.7K at 60fps will be much better than 1080p at 60fps, as you can still crop, and the quality will be better when delivered in 1080p than a 1080p original.

Thanks... I may try recording at 4K 30FPS and just slow down my movements. Just installed the new Fly App that allows me to micro adjust the gimbal movements. ?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
As a member above stated, there are ways to work more efficiently in Resolve with H.265 video...Use optimized media and proxies...life will be less painful for you

There are tons of YouTube videos to get you going

There are no file issues with using h.264 in 60hz 4K. It is not a standard that DJI offers though. You can transcode h.265 to h.264 4K without problems. The issue with h.265, is that it places a very heavy burden on the computer playing it back. Hardware de-coding makes the problem go away, as do modern powerful computers.

There are no file issues with using h.264 in 60hz 4K. It is not a standard that DJI offers though. You can transcode h.265 to h.264 4K without problems. The issue with h.265, is that it places a very heavy burden on the computer playing it back. Hardware de-coding makes the problem go away, as do modern powerful computers.
Transcoding without using some type of lossless compression will reduce video quality, although it may not be noticeable at all (unless you are pixel peeping) OR the user may not really care about the quality reduction based on their intended use.

Reactions: bcfd29
As a member above stated, there are ways to work more efficiently in Resolve with H.265 video...Use optimized media and proxies...life will be less painful for you

There are tons of YouTube videos to get you going
I friend of mine just told me about proxies so I'm going to take a look at that solution. Thanks!

I could play the video file fine but when I brought it into Resolve, it slowed down to a crawl. I'll try to use proxies to fix it. Thanks.

I, too, found issues between H.264 and H.265. Turns out, in my case, my GoPro Hero8 is hard coded to record some video settings at H.264 and other settings at H.265. The higher resolutions and larger frame videos use the HEVC (H.265) where as something at, for example 1080p will be H.264. Seems many video editing programs are yet to be updated to the H.265. Perhaps the DJI video settings are similar??? Viewing is not the problem, editing is. At least for me. I use HANDBRAKE to convert 265 to 264, then no issues. Video is still just as sharp, on the compression method has changed.

I, too, found issues between H.264 and H.265. Turns out, in my case, my GoPro Hero8 is hard coded to record some video settings at H.264 and other settings at H.265. The higher resolutions and larger frame videos use the HEVC (H.265) where as something at, for example 1080p will be H.264. Seems many video editing programs are yet to be updated to the H.265. Perhaps the DJI video settings are similar??? Viewing is not the problem, editing is. At least for me. I use HANDBRAKE to convert 265 to 264, then no issues. Video is still just as sharp, on the compression method has changed.
I didn't think about using Handbrake to convert it from H.265 to H.264. Great idea!

Reactions: theDRONEranger
With older hardware this has been a sore spot for me also. I have two workflows depending on what the video is going to be for.

When shooting, I have to decide in advance if I want slowmo, usually I dont, but if I do, then its 4k60 - so if its going into FinalCut, i will just proxy it. If its just for playback reference (not being publshed) I used Movavi Video Converter (excellent product) or Handbrake to re-encode to 264.

If slowmo is not needed, I stick to 30 or 24FPS on the MA2 and no special re-coding required but I still use proxy editing because its just easier.

Reactions: theDRONEranger
With older hardware this has been a sore spot for me also. I have two workflows depending on what the video is going to be for.

When shooting, I have to decide in advance if I want slowmo, usually I dont, but if I do, then its 4k60 - so if its going into FinalCut, i will just proxy it. If its just for playback reference (not being publshed) I used Movavi Video Converter (excellent product) or Handbrake to re-encode to 264.

If slowmo is not needed, I stick to 30 or 24FPS on the MA2 and no special re-coding required but I still use proxy editing because its just easier.

I did it the long way...Brought it into Davinci and then rendered it in 1080p. :-(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair