DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4K Video Question

harleymhs

Reactions
Hey Everyone. Have a question.. I own a Air2s and Shoot Videos 4K 30fps. Using a Imac with 32GB Ram. 4GB GPU and I7 ... It always plays the videos from the Air2s with no issues. When I play the Air 3 Videos on the same computer the 4K video is choppy and skips! Tried all settings on the drone same ! 1080 Is fine. Did DJI do something on the camera with the Air 3 ? I thought 4K is 4K .. Now Im seeing this.. Thanks In Advance !
PS Im not reading the files from the SD card, they are copied on the SSD of the Computer

Are you maybe using h.264 on the A2S and h.265 on the A3? First thing I'd check.

Also double check you're not accidentally shooting 4K/60 on the A3.

Reactions: GFields
No, 4K isn't just 4K... that's only the resolution, it's like one of 4 thing's that can have a great influence how well the clip plays on the same computer.

All below have major impact on the playability...

Resolution, (higher usually gives less impact compared to below 3)
Codec, (H264 or H265, kind of a go/no go effect)
Bitrate, (higher values usually puts on a lot of load making the computer struggle)
Framerate, (higher usually have a great impact on the playability)

Compare the Air 3 clip with the above in mind, if you find that the codec have changed, the bitrate or framerate is higher... then you know why the clips are played choppier than the ones coming from your Air 2s.

How do you normally playback videos stored on your Mac harddrive? I usually use VLC player but I have been known to go the video in the Finder, highlight it, and then "Quick Look."

CODECS, frame rates, bit rates, and resolution all work together with the player hardware to determine good playback. 4K, the resolution, does not determine the playability. They all must work in combination with your hardware.

I'm having the same problem (Choppy playback) with my Air2S playback on my:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X/ AMD [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590] Linux Mint 21.2 Op sys

How do I convert H265 back to H264. is that the problem?

I have no problem with other video's on H264
Any help appreciated.

I'm having the same problem (Choppy playback) with my Air2S playback on my:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X/ AMD [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590] Linux Mint 21.2 Op sys

How do I convert H265 back to H264. is that the problem?

I have no problem with other video's on H264
Any help appreciated.
My H264 videos from the Air3 are Black! H265 choppy ! My Air 2s will play videos 4K H264 & H265 no issues at all!

My System is an i7, 32 GM Ram and Nivdia GTX 480 this system should play any 4K I play.

Reactions: mereflyer
CODECS, frame rates, bit rates, and resolution all work together with the player hardware to determine good playback. 4K, the resolution, does not determine the playability. They all must work in combination with your hardware.
My Hardware is up to par.. i7 .. 32GB Ram - and Nvidia GTX480MX

My H264 videos from the Air3 are Black! H265 choppy ! My Air 2s will play videos 4K H264 & H265 no issues at all!

My System is an i7, 32 GM Ram and Nivdia GTX 480 this system should play any 4K I play.
Thanks for that harley. I need to look again on DJI Fly settings and find the switch to H264. Have only recently started flying A2S after long time use of MP1. There are many differences!

Reactions: harleymhs
Update: After emailing DJI for days .. and all they do is answer me very generic ! Sending the Air3 back for refund. Ordered a replacement .. I'm also having an issue with the AUTO FOUCS button. It is supposed to beep when half pressed to confirm it auto focused. I think that happened like 2 times ! DJI ansswer : MAKE SURE the volume is up! That was a joke !
Im sure they are ALL like this but after spending $2000.00 I'm not taking a chance! Return for refund order a new one., If all the same then Ill deal with it ! But Ill know for sure it wasn't my Air 3 that was defective ! Wish they had better tech support now I have to return and buy it again! Just to make sure mine is OK!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N