DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

5.4K vs 4K

It's not hard to test, you're up in the air, looking at a building, switch from 5.4k to 4k, and the frame is a little more 'zoomed in' without the same objects still at the edge of the frame (despite both being the same aspect ratio).

Edit: Specifically when you go over 4K 30fps, it crops FOV, otherwise 4K and 5.4k has the same sensor readout (but no pixel binning on 5.4k it's 1:1). So going from 5.4k 24p to 4K 60p the FOV crops down.

View attachment 165450

Sorry for that. I actually never used 60fps. Too much loss in compression along with cropping makes it not useful to my projects.

The only advantage to the 5.4K is if you want to crop the image a little bit. Otherwise, 4K is the way to go since no devices (TV's) support beyond 4k for playback anyway.
I have an 8K set with HDMI 2.1 that does support 8K. So they are out there but not near as many options as 4K.

To make it simple, below are the formats per the SD card associations specs:
SD/microSD card: FAT12/16 up to 2GB.
SDHC/microSDHC card: FAT32 more than 2GB and up to 32GB.
SDXC/microSDXC card: exFAT more than 32GB and up to 2TB.

The smallest SD cards I use are 64GB, therefore I format all cards with exFAT with no issues.

"Do SD cards have a file size limit?"
The card itself does not have a limit on file size, except for the storage capacity of the card.
Max file size per format:
FAT 16, 2GB.
FAT 32, 4GB.
exFAT, 2TB, limited by card capacity

Hth....

Cheers!
Where is the option for exFAT during formatting, I use a 256GB micro SD card. Thank you 😊

Where is the option for exFAT during formatting, I use a 256GB micro SD card. Thank you 😊
On the drone, it's not a selectable option, it's automatic when you format in the drone. ExFat can be done on nearly any size media, but it's typically only required storage above 32GB that will be used on multiple platforms (ie: NTFS, HFS+, EFS, APF, ZFS, etc all support files larger than 4GB and storage above 32GB, but can only be used on their respective operating systems, ExFat is the main one that can be used on windows, linux, unix, osx, android, ios, etc).

On the drone, it's not a selectable option, it's automatic when you format in the drone. ExFat can be done on nearly any size media, but it's typically only required storage above 32GB that will be used on multiple platforms (ie: NTFS, HFS+, EFS, APF, ZFS, etc all support files larger than 4GB and storage above 32GB, but can only be used on their respective operating systems, ExFat is the main one that can be used on windows, linux, unix, osx, android, ios, etc).
So is there a way to format outside of the drone so it doesn’t constantly partition?

So is there a way to format outside of the drone so it doesn’t constantly partition?
Constantly partition? I mean you could format via a computer and card reader, but if the drone doesn't like that setup it may throw an error and require that the card be reformatted

Also it's regular recommended practice after backing up all your photos at the end of the day, to format the card to avoid Future problems (as opposed to just deleting).

I assume you're referring to the file splitting @ 4gb, due to file size limitations on FAT filesystems. This limitation doesn't exist on exFAT.

No, the code has never been updated to recognize exFAT and not split the video recordings into 4gb chunks. Since splicing is such a trivial post-production process, supported by every video editor, I doubt DJI will ever spend the engineering resources to change this.

Reactions: tls3601
I assume you're referring to the file splitting @ 4gb, due to file size limitations on FAT filesystems. This limitation doesn't exist on exFAT.

No, the code has never been updated to recognize exFAT and not split the video recordings into 4gb chunks. Since splicing is such a trivial post-production process, supported by every video editor, I doubt DJI will ever spend the engineering resources to change this.
It's not that the code hasn't been updated, but rather they're keeping it that way based on experience with consumers. While it may not be much the case anymore, a lot of consumers in the past had difficulties unloading files from cameras that did not do the file segmenting because their destination media wasn't always one that could handle it.

Course now days given the size of a typical thumbdrive and such, ExFat, NTFS, AFP, etc is the norm and they all can support file sizes over 4GB. However the mobile applications which a lot of people use for editing now (instead of a computer), can't always efficiently manage a single large file over 4GB.

Nutshell : they kept it that way to ensure compatibility, even though the same required system that would be needed to process 10-bit color depth video, is almost never going to have a FAT/FAT32 partition.

It's not that the code hasn't been updated,

Of course it is! Or are you saying they have done the engineering, test, and validation with no intent of releasing it?!?!!?

However the mobile applications which a lot of people use for editing now (instead of a computer), can't always efficiently manage a single large file over 4GB.

I'm having a hard time believing this. Can you provide an example?

It's 2023 and I record video for the future. Meaning I record in the highest resolution which I can handle today so tomorrow I'm not stuck with stupid SD and 720p videos that I can't stand to watch. At this point, I'm done with watching 1080p videos if I don't have to. Why would I ever record anything less than 4k? Makes no sense to me to limit yourself unless you are forced to. Now would be a good time to make that move to keep your equipment on par with your drone.

It's 2023 and I record video for the future. Meaning I record in the highest resolution which I can handle today so tomorrow I'm not stuck with stupid SD and 720p videos that I can't stand to watch. At this point, I'm done with watching 1080p videos if I don't have to. Why would I ever record anything less than 4k? Makes no sense to me to limit yourself unless you are forced to. Now would be a good time to make that move to keep your equipment on par with your drone.
Makes sense as long as you have the equipment to support/edit at these resolutions. To the pilots/ creators out there: How long do you think it will be until the Mavic 3 gets a larger sensor and ability to shoot 8K video? Going to be buying a high powered laptop here soon for video editing, thinking a built M2 Max 16” MacBook Pro. What are other folks using?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunatico028