DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A stupid crash

MsDrone

Reactions

A couple of birds were dive bombing me so I decided to fly very low to the ground. Then I crashed, a whopping 40ish feet from where I was standing. I don’t think anything happened other than I just hit the tall grass, but if anyone can tell for sure I think this is the flight log.

For damage, one of the arms is hanging from the drone. I have the care refresh thing, I just renewed it for a 2nd year. Should I just make a claim and get it replaced?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 37306BB3-8069-49E1-9D7C-06F448846744.jpeg
    37306BB3-8069-49E1-9D7C-06F448846744.jpeg
    977.8 KB · Views: 146
  • EE867CB6-0860-49EA-8359-555F42E1A562.jpeg
    EE867CB6-0860-49EA-8359-555F42E1A562.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 145
Should I just make a claim and get it replaced?
under what coverage? If care refresh I don't think you have a choice, you should / must.
If you try to repair it yourself I am pretty sure you will invalidate the care refresh since you will have to open the drone and desolder / detach the wires so that you can replace the pivot.
If you send it in remember to remove the memory card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Capt KO

A couple of birds were dive bombing me so I decided to fly very low to the ground. Then I crashed, a whopping 40ish feet from where I was standing. I don’t think anything happened other than I just hit the tall grass, but if anyone can tell for sure I think this is the flight log.

For damage, one of the arms is hanging from the drone. I have the care refresh thing, I just renewed it for a 2nd year. Should I just make a claim and get it replaced?

Thank you.
I would definitely send it in. Be SURE to take all 3rd party accessories off such as filters, skins, SD card etc. They replace the frame every time so you might have to get a new skin. :(

Open a case with DJI and they will tell you what they will do. You'll have to send them your log files and they will exam them. Since you have the drone, more than likely it's replacement, but they also may charge as well.

Since no one else has mentioned it, if you look at the screen capture of the csv, as I understand it the pitch and roll go bananas in the last 2/10ths of a second. That makes me wonder if it did catch something e.g. the grass, and flip.
I am left wondering if excessive tilt shut down the motors and consequently stopped the recording of the txt flight log.

Attachments

• mavic long grass crash.png
    mavic long grass crash.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 30
I am left wondering if excessive tilt shut down the motors and consequently stopped the recording of the txt flight log.
The excessive pitch and roll is the collision.
It's likely that the battery was dislodged by the impact.

I don’t think anything happened other than I just hit the tall grass, but if anyone can tell for sure I think this is the flight log.
Your data shows you flying backwards at full stick in Sport Mode, descending and leveling out at about the height of what you hit.
You still had the right stick pulled back when the collision occurred.
The drone instantly flipped back and rolled upside down.

Reactions: RMS001
Thanks for all the input. I opened a case on DJI.com and am waiting for a shipping label. I thought I would have to ship it to China but now I’m thinking I’ll just have to ship it to the Toronto area - that will be so much faster for shipping times!

I live in the Toronto area and have shipped to the repair facility nearby. They are excellent with good communication and speedy turnaround time.
Thanks for the info. It’s been shipped to Mississauga via UPS (I’m in Thunder Bay) and I’m hoping it doesn’t take too long!

Well it didn’t take long to get my drone back. When they assessed it there was some discount on so I had a choice of I think $50 to repair it or $60 to use my DJI care refresh. I’m sure I’ve read in here that you don’t necessarily get a new drone under care refresh, you might get a refurbished one, so I went with the repair. I ended up getting a new drone anyway, different SN. I don’t know if it’s brand new or someone else’s repair, but I finally had a chance to go out flying and it works great. No more stupid crashes now - but I still have my DJI care refresh just in case ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrDew