DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 A sunny spring day at the Lovell Radio Telescope, Jodrell Bank, UK

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
After being diverted from our original plans - through encountering roads closed for the Wilmslow Half Marathon - Jodrell Bank Observatory presented itself as an amazing subject for a drone flight and a visit. We checked that the observatory was not currently being used - it was 'parked' due to 30mph wind gusts - and took the time to visit the excellent visitors centre.

On leaving the centre - and making sure that there was no FRZ (Flight Restricted Zone) we then found a couple of locations to fly from - 450m and 850m away - and used the DJI AIR3 with the 77mm (x3) camera in order to capture some pretty amazing footage...

Flying conditions were cold, 8C and windy, with hgh wind warnings encountered on the first 2 flights, but the AIR3 with its high speed S Mode made for a stable platform that handled the wind extremely well...

Another good video!

I confess that when the video started I was watching the two figures so but of an eye opener whenI noticed the dish.

Reactions: AlbionDrones
I confess that when the video started I was watching the two figures so but of an eye opener whenI noticed the dish.
Lol, I wasnt trying to cature hubby and I, but the tree was soo well positioned for a reveal.... Thanks for watching and commenting..

I think they had a report of alien llifeforms.Then someone reported seeing a drone fly by. Lol. I loved your video. I think radio telescopes look so unreal.
I am amazed that it wasn't a NFZ. We have a valley of Radio telescopes here in West Virginia, called, Green Banks. A movable one is larger than a football field. They are very strict about radio transmission in a 100 + mile area. A local store put in a remote door that interfered with the radio telescopes and got taken out. They don't allow cell phones and computers in Green Banks because of interference. They have a bus tour and you can't take pictures with a battery operated camera.

I think they had a report of alien llifeforms.Then someone reported seeing a drone fly by. Lol. I loved your video. I think radio telescopes look so unreal.
I am amazed that it wasn't a NFZ. We have a valley of Radio telescopes here in West Virginia, called, Green Banks. A movable one is larger than a football field. They are very strict about radio transmission in a 100 + mile area. A local store put in a remote door that interfered with the radio telescopes and got taken out. They don't allow cell phones and computers in Green Banks because of interference. They have a bus tour and you can't take pictures with a battery operated camera.
Thanks... Yup, no FRZ or NFZ, I could have flown a lot closer, but then I wouldn't have got the context of it in the landscape, which does give you a sense of the size... We did check before flying that the dish was not being used for gathering data - it was parked due to the 30mph wind gusts - otherwise I would have only flown from a further distance away...
They do not allow mobile phones to be used - you have to put them on airplane mode - but other than that you are ok to use cameras, there are no 'No Drone' signs neither...

Last edited:
Reactions: WV. Rootman
Ahhh, a great intro with the music, for a sifi movie.
Welcome to SETI junior.
Nice video, nice capture on a not too often seen object.......well done!

After being diverted from our original plans - through encountering roads closed for the Wilmslow Half Marathon - Jodrell Bank Observatory presented itself as an amazing subject for a drone flight and a visit. We checked that the observatory was not currently being used - it was 'parked' due to 30mph wind gusts - and took the time to visit the excellent visitors centre.

On leaving the centre - and making sure that there was no FRZ (Flight Restricted Zone) we then found a couple of locations to fly from - 450m and 850m away - and used the DJI AIR3 with the 77mm (x3) camera in order to capture some pretty amazing footage...

Flying conditions were cold, 8C and windy, with hgh wind warnings encountered on the first 2 flights, but the AIR3 with its high speed S Mode made for a stable platform that handled the wind extremely well...

Very cool video! Being an amateur astronomer for about 50 years now I really enjoyed seeing this. Thanks for showing this!

Ahhh, a great intro with the music, for a sifi movie.
Welcome to SETI junior.
Nice video, nice capture on a not too often seen object.......well done!
Thank you kindly :)

Very cool video! Being an amateur astronomer for about 50 years now I really enjoyed seeing this. Thanks for showing this!
Thanks for watching and commenting, I am glad it was enjoyed :)

Reactions: RkyMtnHigh
Nicely done!
Seeing the "normal" sized 'people' near the "normal" sized trees really put the enormity of the dish structure into perspective! Can only imagine what it's like in person.

Nicely done!
Seeing the "normal" sized 'people' near the "normal" sized trees really put the enormity of the dish structure into perspective! Can only imagine what it's like in person.
Thanks.. tbh it was windy - which is why we got the opportunity as the dish was not 'actively recording data', and that meant there was some concern with a few high wind warnings, but it all paled against seeing the dish in the viewfinder, I knew I had some good footage :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne