DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A tree struck my Mavic 2 zoom. Now the gimbal points backward

Thomas Fields

Reactions
I did it. I hit a tree. I don't see any damage other than a couple of chipped props and a gimbal that points backward. When I start the drone the gimbal goes through all its motions backwards. Also, it doesn't respond to the tilt wheel on the RC. Is a repair in my future?

Reactions: DDS
I did it. I hit a tree. I don't see any damage other than a couple of chipped props and a gimbal that points backward. When I start the drone the gimbal goes through all its motions backwards. Also, it doesn't respond to the tilt wheel on the RC. Is a repair in my future?
I will be gentler than The Clod (g)

Does the camera still display on your device? I think that I've read some folks have gently or not so gently coaxed the gimbal forward again. If you can figure out which way is back - don't want to tear or further kink the fragile ribbon cable. Otherwise, if you purchased Care Refresh, you can use that insurance.

Fortunately, my tree trim, lawn mow and window smash adventures did not result in more than a broken prop.

Good luck.

I applied the method shown in the video. I used a small knife blade open the space. With a little pressure I was able to gently rotate the camera into its proper position.
The bird flies fine, the gimbal is straight and steady and the zoom wheel works fine, so I hope everything is OK.
Thanks for all of the quick responses. I hope someday I can be of help to someone.

I applied the method shown in the video. I used a small knife blade open the space. With a little pressure I was able to gently rotate the camera into its proper position.
The bird flies fine, the gimbal is straight and steady and the zoom wheel works fine, so I hope everything is OK.
Thanks for all of the quick responses. I hope someday I can be of help to someone.
@Thomas Fields glad to hear you fixed your mav watch out for those trees in future happy flying

Was the tree in Atti or sport mode? Did the tree have a flight plan submitted?

I regret your problems, but this is fun! Forgive me please.

Those doggone trees! I did the same thing though a strong gust of wind helped me along. I used Seattle Drone Repair. Quick, inexpensive and above all knowledgeable. They are on the net - facebook among other cites. Good luck.

The tree definitely had an attitude and was in the sport mode of crashing drones. That tree grew really fast. I don't think it was there when I launched the Mavic.

My stupidity came through in this experience. I learned several things. Number 1: be sure you select the correct waypoint mission before telling the drone to fly it.

This was my first Mavic crash and my first since my Phantom 4 Pro found a tree a couple of years ago. The Phantom wasn't hurt even after falling about 25 feet to the ground. My stupidity caused that on too.

My 80 year old brain keeps on learning.

I flew the Mavic yesterday afternoon to check it out. Everything appears to work well.
Thanks for all the responses.

Reactions: old man mavic
The tree definitely had an attitude and was in the sport mode of crashing drones. That tree grew really fast. I don't think it was there when I launched the Mavic.

My stupidity came through in this experience. I learned several things. Number 1: be sure you select the correct waypoint mission before telling the drone to fly it.

This was my first Mavic crash and my first since my Phantom 4 Pro found a tree a couple of years ago. The Phantom wasn't hurt even after falling about 25 feet to the ground. My stupidity caused that on too.

My 80 year old brain keeps on learning.

I flew the Mavic yesterday afternoon to check it out. Everything appears to work well.
Thanks for all the responses.
as one oldie to another, i know what you mean, glad you took the humour on the chin, having a good laugh is often the best way to deal with things that life throws at us happy flying

Was the tree in Atti or sport mode? Did the tree have a flight plan submitted?

I regret your problems, but this is fun! Forgive me please.
OK, OK!!!
I just flew a LITCHI mission in a nearby park. Used Google Earth to check terrain. Lesson for the day . . . just because Google Earth shows one tree does not mean there aren't two! Got by the first, found the second. Thank goodness I was flying for a personal view at 5 feet AGL. (Park was almost empty except one person walking dog.) Slight nick on one blade, replaced and bad blade destroyed to ensure no reuse. LITCHI flight plan was modified to avoid trees.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manu Gopinath