DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A very nice flight this morning...

edfrombama

Reactions
Good morning to all-

It was a nice early morning, so I drove down to the Mobile Bay Causeway- I've always wanted some overhead videos and photos of the battleship which is permanently moored here for display. I pulled off the busy highway and found a good launch spot- no garbage, no broken glass, well off the road- perfect. I launched the Mini2 and flew toward the battle ship, Conditions at take off were nearly calm wind, sunny, good light for photography work.
No, I won't tell you how far I flew- don't want to offend certain people. I flew as far as I had to fly to get my shots- let it go at that. I had to take the bird up high to go over the ship. Again, I won't say how high I had to go, but it was high enough to clear the structure.
Then I turned the bird around to come home and it would only make very slow progress back in my direction. Of course I knew that altitude makes a great difference in wind strength, but I really didn't expect so much difference on this day. The bird would just not come back at high altitude.
I clicked the controls to "S" mode and folks, we DID come home. I don't use "S" mode much, but it is certainly nice to have in the back pocket as a means to get the bird back to landing spot.
Got the bird down and drove back across the Causeway and launched again to get a video of a crab boat working in the bay with the usual pelicans in attendance. Interesting video.
Every time I fly my Mini 2 I learn something. I learned today that this drone system is very good over open water, and I learned that "S' mode can really be my friend when I need to get somewhere fast or against wind.

You all be safe and keep well- Ed

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twentytree