DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aaaargh! Perfect panning - or so I thought...

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Am away in Scotland for a week of holidays, got some great footage of waterfalls, Ruthven Barracks and a few other things, been to Glenfinnan today, first flight great footage, then land to change battery before the Jackobite traing arrives, and it came early, so took off quickly, got in position, panned amazingly well, awesome footage - or so I thought…

Got back to cottage and downloaded the video, and it appears I didnt press record on the 2nd drone flight at Glenfinnan, so no Hogwarts Express footage!!

Lol, have to laugh, otherwise I shall scream… Got lots of stills from being on the train to Mallaig, but missed the money shot!

Anyone else done anything quite as stoopid?

IMG_9736.JPG

Am away in Scotland for a week of holidays, got some great footage of waterfalls, Ruthven Barracks and a few other things, been to Glenfinnan today, first flight great footage, then land to change battery before the Jackobite traing arrives, and it came early, so took off quickly, got in position, panned amazingly well, awesome footage - or so I thought…

Got back to cottage and downloaded the video, and it appears I didnt press record on the 2nd drone flight at Glenfinnan, so no Hogwarts Express footage!!

Lol, have to laugh, otherwise I shall scream… Got lots of stills from being on the train to Mallaig, but missed the money shot!

View attachment 156266
thats why I always use litchi, it always turns on video automatically on take off and switches off on landing

Last edited:
Reactions: AlbionDrones
@AlbionDrones ,join the club ,its part of the wonderful world of drone flying

Oh yes, forgetting to press record is quite common, ESPECIALLY when it is a special shot made in a rush. Many bad words usually follow lol.

Reactions: Geofff
Yeah......done it with drone, my phone, my camera (when I used one). It's called being human and getting excited in the moment.

Oh I have certainly done that. When I first started flying, I would video my entire flight and take the occasional picture. One day I ventured out and did my first "roadside" flight where I pulled over on the side of the road by an area that seemed nice and took off. I was flying around these amazing farms and some gorgeous houses. I'm doing all of these smooth orbits manually and just really having a great flight. I'm thinking "wow, I can't wait to watch this footage back!!". Well, when I bring it in and go to stop the recording, I find I never started it. I was so upset with myself. That will forever be the epic flight that was never recorded.

Now I switch between taking photos and video a lot so I catch myself pretty quickly if I'm flying thinking I'm filming but I'm not. I've had to restart maneuvers, which a minute in isn't a big deal, not like 20 minutes in :D

View attachment 156266
We've all done it.

@AlbionDrones the other biggey is, don't forget to stop the recording BEFORE you switch the drone off, you will end up with a corrupted recording if you do that.
If you do forget and realise that you forgot switch the drone on again, let it boot and then switch it off. Doing that will normally fix a video that was corrupted in that way.

Last edited:
Just did the same thing a few days ago. Not the first time.

I don't understand why the record button is bigger when it's not recording, or why there isn't an obvious REC indicator somewhere. Obvious, red and flashing. You know, like there's been on camcorders for...well, since camcoders began.

Or just manually start recording when you takeoff and only stop when you are done with a shot.
that's the thing, ppl do forget to start recording manually so having it done automatically is best. plus it automatically switches off on landing so the recording is always saved

View attachment 156266
Failure to start the recording was my most common error during my early learning. On the Mini-2, -1, and -SE, I explicitly added it to my "take-off" checklist:

1) Push the "auto-launch button in Fly
2) Turn on the camera
3) Do the final launch step in fly where you need to hold the button down for a few seconds

Works good!

The FPV has a much more civilized approach. It has a setting that let's you tell it to start recording at engine start, and I've set that default to do that.

The FPV has a much more civilized approach. It has a setting that let's you tell it to start recording at engine start, and I've set that default to do that.
Just shows they can do it. And this is just typical of companies that produce highly complex technology based products. They'll add dozeons, or hundreds "new features" (often undocumented), but fail to fix the basic problems. How hard is it to make it more obvious that you are recording, or not?

Just shows they can do it. And this is just typical of companies that produce highly complex technology based products. They'll add dozeons, or hundreds "new features" (often undocumented), but fail to fix the basic problems. How hard is it to make it more obvious that you are recording, or not?
Well, it's probably the Demon of Economics: Opportunity Cost.

You can't do an infinite number of things. Any time or resources you spend doing one thing, is time and resources that you're not spending doing something else. And that something else may have higher value.

I suspect that doing that is on a Master List somewhere, but isn't high enough in the priority ranking to get any resources allocated.

Just because something can be done, doesn't mean that it should be done, compared to other things that you might do.

Well, it's probably the Demon of Economics: Opportunity Cost.

You can't do an infinite number of things. Any time or resources you spend doing one thing, is time and resources that you're not spending doing something else. And that something else may have higher value.

I suspect that doing that is on a Master List somewhere, but isn't high enough in the priority ranking to get any resources allocated.

Just because something can be done, doesn't mean that it should be done, compared to other things that you might do.
My comment was meant to highlight their misevaluation of items on the list. Lack of market research, sampling users complaints, focus groups, etc., over-weighting new features vs fixing long standing issues. Apple is hugely guilty of this, just look at any iOS version change. How many updates did they go through before introducing copy/paste into iOS? Many, yet features were added by the dozen. Sometimes updates go backwards in terms of user experience, like when a UI moves common tools around or changes how they work, long-time users can't find them (Microsoft, Apple and Quark...guilty!!), or they think they need a total facelift, which gets in every users way until the re-learn what they've already been using for years.

DJI falls into the same category when the fix some things, but ignore the basic usability, especially with documentation. User experience is always under-valued, by every company. The one glaring exception would be for the first 15 years or so with Apple-MacOS, when User Experience was the driving force.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
like when a UI moves common tools around or changes how they work, long-time users can't find them (Microsoft, Apple and Quark...guilty!!), or they think they need a total facelift, which gets in every users way until the re-learn what they've already been using for years.
😍 Ahem brother, I found the graphical network monitor in windows 10 only in the last month or so......lol, I am pretty sure I googled it at least a year ago and couldn't find any answers saying where it was hidden.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer