DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Abbeystead Weir, Lancashire - Mini 3 Pro

Paul Iddon

Reactions
Abbeystead Weir is in the Forest Of Bowland AONB, a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

A remarkable, large, curved basin like structure allows water to flow from the reservoir down an stone-lined channel to a high weir and into the River Wyre below. The beautifully curved weir we see today was originally constructed in 1878 and finished construction in 1881. The dam was designed by a James Mansergh who after the completion of Abbeystead designed the reservoirs at Elan Valley.

Tragically, the quiet village of Abbeystead hit the headlines in 1984 when a disastrous explosion at a pumping station which was being visited by residents from the nearby St Michaels on Wyre. Of those 44 visitors, 16 lost their lives, and many of the others were seriously hurt or burned by escaping methane gas. Today, the village is wonderfully peaceful, with only a commemorative plaque to allude to that terrible day.

Abbeystead Disaster (Wiki)

Music: Albatross (Fleetwood Mac).

Paul.

Nice video

Reactions: Paul Iddon
Peaty water. Very nice video and weir, love the flow pattern.

Cheers m8, it is one of the nicer engineered dams.

Thanks for sharing. I have never seen any structure quite like this. Easy on the eyes.

Thanks Jim. The architect did a good a job with the futuristic look.

England's green and pleasant land - lovely.

I love the way you give interesting background information to your videos.

Thanks Brian, and thank you for subscribing too :)

Paul.

Fascinating! I've never seen anything like it in America, not a semicircular **** with a semicircular spillway next to it. Flying directly above the spillway and shooting straight down was great. The moving water there is mesmerizing. Nice flying, perfect music and perfect length.

Reactions: Paul Iddon
Fascinating! I've never seen anything like it in America, not a semicircular **** with a semicircular spillway next to it. Flying directly above the spillway and shooting straight down was great. The moving water there is mesmerizing. Nice flying, perfect music and perfect length.

Thank you Dave for watching - I think most over here are not as fanciful as the design of this one.

Paul.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661