DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

About Video Settings

Reactions
Hi all,

I have got a new M3Pro coming from the Mini3pro. I used to use the Mini3Pro with fix ISO 100 and auto shutter speed and manual white balance.
Now with the new Aperture control I am little lost about how can i get best quality( I like sharpness image)

So my question is base in your experience, what do you think is the best? right now I was testing iso 100, auto shutter and f aperture AUTO - but I read and hear that f5-5.6 is the sweet spot for this drone. what do you think?

I normally use ND filter as well.

Regarding the video mode, I will try Dlog-m since we can use with 2 cameras, I have tried use the LUT dji log-m to 709 as starting point and then do some adjustment, what do you think about it? I am learning color grading and I do some adjustments as well

any guide would be appreciated :)

Buenas dias.

The one hard rule I'd suggest is to always keep the ISO as low as possible. Don't increase it unless you're dealing with low-light situations.

And with regard to low light situations, why are you using ND filters? Unless there's something in the image that's moving and you want to blur it, there's little application for them in photography.

Reactions: JimSteadman
ND filters use when there are lot of light. For sunset or sunrise I use ND8 or nothing - I normally use that to avoid reflections and get better shutter speed.

ND filters use when there are lot of light. For sunset or sunrise I use ND8 or nothing - I normally use that to avoid reflections and get better shutter speed.
Unless you adjust aperture or ISO, using an ND filter will reduce your shutter speed by three stops. So, if you were shooting at 1/1000 sec without the ND8, you'd be shooting at 1/125 sec with the ND8. You're much more likely to lose sharpness with the lower shutter speed.

ND filters don't filter out reflections; they filter the light uniformly across the entire frame. If there's an overexposed area, an ND filter will reduce the overexposure, but it will also darken the rest of the frame.

Each of the cameras on the Mavic 3 Pro can shoot at a shutter speed of 1/8000 sec. And the aperture on the main camera can be stopped down to f/11. I wouldn't think that excess light would be a problem very often.

Unless you adjust aperture or ISO, using an ND filter will reduce your shutter speed by three stops. So, if you were shooting at 1/1000 sec without the ND8, you'd be shooting at 1/125 sec with the ND8. You're much more likely to lose sharpness with the lower shutter speed.

ND filters don't filter out reflections; they filter the light uniformly across the entire frame. If there's an overexposed area, an ND filter will reduce the overexposure, but it will also darken the rest of the frame.

Each of the cameras on the Mavic 3 Pro can shoot at a shutter speed of 1/8000 sec. And the aperture on the main camera can be stopped down to f/11. I wouldn't think that excess light would be a problem very often.
If you want to limit Reflections - a CPL Filter is the one to do that best

If you want to limit Reflections - a CPL Filter is the one to do that best
Unfortunately, a polarizing filter only works when flying at the correct angle to the sun, which is constantly changing based upon the direction the drone is flying, and the degree of polarization cannot be controlled, unlike on a handheld terrestrial camera. Unless you are continuously flying in the same direction, most of the time a CPL will be of little use on a drone, other than as a two stop ND filter.

Reactions: c.oberschneider
Yes this is True ....
But The Effect is Fantastic when Flying in that Direction +- 20deg

Deep Blue Skies etc

Now with the new Aperture control I am little lost about how can i get best quality( I like sharpness image)

So my question is base in your experience, what do you think is the best? right now I was testing iso 100, auto shutter and f aperture AUTO - but I read and hear that f5-5.6 is the sweet spot for this drone. what do you think?
The lens is good at any aperture, there is no single "sweet spot".
Any difference between f-stops is insignificant.

For people who use dlog or dlog-m, i saw people saying is better to adjust EV to +.7 or +1, what do you think?

Previously in my mini3pro normal mode i used to decrease EV -0.7

Yes this is True ....
But The Effect is Fantastic when Flying in that Direction +- 20deg

Deep Blue Skies etc
If it is only deep blue skies that you are after, that can more easily be achieved in post processing. On the other hand, removing reflections to clearly see subjects underwater, or seeing indoors through reflective windows cannot be achieved in post, and will require a polarizing filter while flying or hovering at the correct angle on the take.

Most lenses on most cameras have a "sweet spot" (an f-stop where the lens is the sharpest) somewhere around f8, a point where depth of field is good and the lens is sharp but diffraction hasn't crept in to soften the image. Diffraction will soften the image at higher f-stops (f11+), and most lenses get softer at lower f-stops (f5.6 -). It's a bit different for every lens, but most land around f8. We'll know more when the camera has been tested more, but since it's fairly wide angle it won't make a lot of difference.

Reactions: scuervo.ramiro
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas