DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Acquiring Part 107 Question

Sparc343

Reactions
So I am contemplating studying for, testing for, and getting my Part 107 License... However I wanted to ask, and hope to receive an affirmative answer (no speculation please)...

Are you "allowed" to, will the FAA accept a different mailing address than your actual/registered address? For example, lets say you're domiciled in IL, but you're currently "snow birding" in AZ. Will the FAA "accept" that you "LIVE" in one place, but are asking them to mail your license somewhere different?

I am asking because my legal domicile is IL, and I don't have an AZ address (of my own). So the best I could do would be to either register under my IL domicile address, and have it mailed to a friends address in AZ. Or if that is not allowed, I'd have to just wait until I know I'm going to go back to IL (it would be kind of stupid to drive almost 4000 miles [round trip] just to pick up mail - especially when other entities don't have a problem sending me my mail elsewhere, when I am elsewhere)..! Either way I'm pretty sure it could be considered "fraud" or otherwise illegal for me to just completely use a friends address (for registration and mailing - since I don't actually live there), for my convenience - so that has not even been a consideration...

Reactions: Gyr
Go straight to the source. The folks at [email protected] love to get questions like this. Tell them "Vic Moss sent me". 😉

Do you not have the option of having your mail temporarily forwarded from your IL address to your friend's address in AZ by the Post Office? Standard Forward Mail | USPS

I don't get much if any mail to begin with (most modern crap including bills are all "paperless")... However I often have to have "official" stuff that would otherwise not be "forward-able" sent to me (mail to - is different than "MY address") while in AZ... Such as my IL car registrations... I think all IL DMV mail may be "un-forward-able", so IDK why mail from the FAA would be any different. In that, even if I had a "fowarding" set up, it may very well be one of those non-forward-able things! That's why I'd think it better to either directly do it with the FAA, if allowed, or just wait until I'll be in IL next...

Last I knew, (basic) forwarding is for "junk" like magazines for example... Most "legal" stuff (I was told by my postmaster) was not forward-able... I don't know exactly who carries that "policy", whether it's the USPS, or the agencies in question, or BOTH; but yeah, I'd rather not risk it... I'd rather just know if the FAA will accept my IL registration with an AZ mail to, or if I'll just have to try to plan it all out so that I can go to IL to get it (but not a special trip, just to get mail)..!

I also know that one has to be decently careful with mail and how they have things mailed to themselves - especially at other peoples addresses... Example: you know those 'security' systems that ask you which is/is not an address you've ever used in the past. Well, that's why it's so important that if you're having mail sent to you, at an address you don't actually live at, to use the IN CARE OF (C/O ; I/C/O), because otherwise it's presumed that, that, IS your address. (and can pop up in future "security questions")... Something both you and or the person who actually has that as an address, may not appreciate (or remember far into the future)..!

Reactions: MA2 317
So I am contemplating studying for, testing for, and getting my Part 107 License... However I wanted to ask, and hope to receive an affirmative answer (no speculation please)...

Are you "allowed" to, will the FAA accept a different mailing address than your actual/registered address? For example, lets say you're domiciled in IL, but you're currently "snow birding" in AZ. Will the FAA "accept" that you "LIVE" in one place, but are asking them to mail your license somewhere different?

I am asking because my legal domicile is IL, and I don't have an AZ address (of my own). So the best I could do would be to either register under my IL domicile address, and have it mailed to a friends address in AZ. Or if that is not allowed, I'd have to just wait until I know I'm going to go back to IL (it would be kind of stupid to drive almost 4000 miles [round trip] just to pick up mail - especially when other entities don't have a problem sending me my mail elsewhere, when I am elsewhere)..! Either way I'm pretty sure it could be considered "fraud" or otherwise illegal for me to just completely use a friends address (for registration and mailing - since I don't actually live there), for my convenience - so that has not even been a consideration...
Keep in mind too that this is a multi-month process before you get your actual card in the mail so keep that in mind.

Reactions: Sparc343

mail forwarding-fill out the form at the post office!

Reactions: BigAl07
When you pass the test, you'll be issued a temp certificate via e-mail anyway. The card takes several weeks to arrive. How about just running with the temp certificate until you get "home."

Go straight to the source. The folks at [email protected] love to get questions like this. Tell them "Vic Moss sent me". 😉

Finally got around to doing so (I have had so much going on!) just a few moments ago..! Being a federal holiday I am not really "expecting" an answer until at least MONDAY the 27th of DECEMBER... At the earliest. But either way, I will post the results here in the event anyone ever tries to look this up in the future!

Finally got around to doing so (I have had so much going on!) just a few moments ago..! Being a federal holiday I am not really "expecting" an answer until at least MONDAY the 27th of DECEMBER... At the earliest. But either way, I will post the results here in the event anyone ever tries to look this up in the future!
You'll likely get an answer on Monday, but you never know. I've had some of my emails answered at some pretty odd times. And on weekends. But never on Christmas.

To be safe have it sent to your registered address and just have that address forwarded to wherever you are either permanent or temporary

I live in North Carolina and on assignment in Alabama. (I used my Alabama address). The FAA will use the address you supply on your part 107 application to send you (and all correspondence unless you change it) your part 107 license.

Fly often, fly safe

I don't get much if any mail to begin with (most modern crap including bills are all "paperless")... However I often have to have "official" stuff that would otherwise not be "forward-able" sent to me (mail to - is different than "MY address") while in AZ... Such as my IL car registrations... I think all IL DMV mail may be "un-forward-able", so IDK why mail from the FAA would be any different. In that, even if I had a "fowarding" set up, it may very well be one of those non-forward-able things! That's why I'd think it better to either directly do it with the FAA, if allowed, or just wait until I'll be in IL next...

Last I knew, (basic) forwarding is for "junk" like magazines for example... Most "legal" stuff (I was told by my postmaster) was not forward-able... I don't know exactly who carries that "policy", whether it's the USPS, or the agencies in question, or BOTH; but yeah, I'd rather not risk it... I'd rather just know if the FAA will accept my IL registration with an AZ mail to, or if I'll just have to try to plan it all out so that I can go to IL to get it (but not a special trip, just to get mail)..!

I also know that one has to be decently careful with mail and how they have things mailed to themselves - especially at other peoples addresses... Example: you know those 'security' systems that ask you which is/is not an address you've ever used in the past. Well, that's why it's so important that if you're having mail sent to you, at an address you don't actually live at, to use the IN CARE OF (C/O ; I/C/O), because otherwise it's presumed that, that, IS your address. (and can pop up in future "security questions")... Something both you and or the person who actually has that as an address, may not appreciate (or remember far into the future)..!
Actually this is one of the questions on the 107. Your address has to be your living address. No po box. You have 30 days to notify the FAA of address changes.

You'll likely get an answer on Monday, but you never know. I've had some of my emails answered at some pretty odd times. And on weekends. But never on Christmas.

Oh boy, did I screw up, royally! After being (too) patient I checked my outbox... Only to realize it actually sent to IRS.GOV @.@ So I re-sent to the FAA this time around and got an "instant" response (same day) - so ultimately here is the verbatim response I got about this whole address thing:

FAADroneZone requires a single "Physical & Mailing Address." This is an editable entry. If you leave one address to spend extended time at another, you may edit the address in DroneZone.

Upon completion of the remote pilot initial knowledge test, you will apply for you certificate. It will take approximately 8 weeks for your certificate to arrive via mail. You may either have your mail forwarded or use the address you will be at.

So it does look like their mail is "forward-able". I did also ask if I can just set it to my legal "domicile" address and "leave it", or if I have to change it any time I intend to spend an "extended duration" at an address (having multiple residences). This was the (verbatim) response:

You are not required to continually change your address. You asked if you could and I explained the mechanism. As long as the listed "Physical & Mailing Address" is a legal address, you are not required to change it even if you leave for a period of time.
14 C.F.R §48.100 and .105 require you to keep your personal information current within 14 days of any changes..

Last edited:
LOLZ, I just noticed how that happened - even though you changed the text in the first post/link. I had clicked and used it, and the actual link still directed it to IRS.GOV, and I had stupidly not noticed when I fired it off just before the holiday LOLZ

Well, at least I got a good laugh out of that, got my answers, AND I'm almost sure someone at the IRS is also a little confused LOL... (never got the mailer daemon rejecting the email so it probably went to their 'general' inbox that also 'accepts' messages from invalid recipients (IE [email protected]) LOLZ

Ah, needed that laugh today (just lost a family pet this morning)... ... ...

I think there may have been some confusion and or miscommunication though because I had also started collecting Part 107 study material (by then) and happened across FAA form 8710-13... Which I was then attempting to ask about, because there seems to be a discrepancy between that (paper application) and the online application, if as he states you have to have ONE address for both physical AND mailing, when applying online... Yet the paper 8710-13 has fields E1 and E2 which allow for differentiating ("residential" and "mailing") addresses...!

As if having multiple addresses isn't already complicated enough for people, I think it will be in my best interest to have my legal domicile be the address printed on the cert (should I pass/obtain it)... And just either plan around being there to get it, or have it forwarded (or apply via paper app/snail mail)..!

Nonetheless ~ I hope this can all be of help to someone else with multiple residences in the future..!

TL;DR ~ If you have multiple addresses and seek a P107L, either

A) use the paper app FORM 8710-13 (fields E1 and E2)
B) have it mailed to your domicile and plan accordingly to receive it there
C) have it mailed to your domicile and have it forwarded to wherever you actually are at the time (with an EIGHT week lead time)
D) just have it mailed to wherever you are at the time, with an EIGHT week lead time...

I do think I will either opt for doing the paper/snail mail app, or just forwarding my mail from my domicile to my current location when time appropriate... I can't see planning an almost 2k mile trip, just to collect mail, and I also cannot see not having my domicile be the address printed on the cert..!

Actually this is one of the questions on the 107. Your address has to be your living address. No po box. You have 30 days to notify the FAA of address changes.

There's nothing simple about having multiple residences, let me tell you (legally speaking you can have 1,000 residences, but a person only has ONE domicile)! FAA Form 8710-13 also "allows" for mailing to a PO BOX, even having a PO BOX printed on the cert (field E2)..! Also, according to the email I got back from the FAA you only have 14 days...

8710-13(e1e2).png

14 C.F.R §48.100 and .105 require you to keep your personal information current within 14 days of any changes

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143