DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Active tracking a vehicle with Air 3

riterb97

Reactions
Hi everyone,
Is there a way, during active tracking (or POI) when tracking a vehicle, that I can:

• Determine the distance between the controller and the drone? I can't seem to move the active track menu at the bottom of the screen. I’ve tried accessing the settings, but from what I understand, I can only adjust parameters for human tracking.
  • Move the object (vehicle) sideways? I can adjust the gimbal to move up or down, but I'm having trouble with lateral movement.

Additionally, I’d like to know what happens if I activate Return-to-Home (RTH) when the drone is under obstacles, like trees, car port. I’ve read the manual sections on the different RTH modes, but I want to be certain before testing, as I don’t want to risk a crash. With obstacle avoidance enabled, will the drone try to navigate out of the obstacle area before finding a clear path? Or will it simply ascend to its RTH height and risk crashing into the trees/roof?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• active tracking.jpg
    active tracking.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 2
With regards to ANY testing and especially ALL the RTH behaviours I strongly suggest ALL testing, except for OA testing, be done in wide open spaces. There is no substitute for practical experience especially where your expectations are proved false, I speak from experience.
Once you are confident that you correctly understand the behaviours then perhaps you can move on the testing in 'real' locations.
That said, under trees, I would do my very best to ensure that RTH was neither triggered nor needed. Going so far as to switch failsafe behaviour to hover but be informed that even with that option set a low battery can still trigger a low battery RTH.
If you do switch the failsafe option to anything other than RTH be absolutely certain you switch it back to RTH when you have finished the relevant flight.
I would also point out that under trees the drone may lose GPS and, if the foliage is thick enough, the lighting may be insufficient for VPS to work. If that happens then the drone will switch to ATTI mode, in which it will NOT hold position and be blown about by any wind unless you use the controller joy sticks to counter act that wind.

In short I would be wary of flying under trees full stop.

Last edited:
With obstacle avoidance enabled, will the drone try to navigate out of the obstacle area before finding a clear path? Or will it simply ascend to its RTH height and risk crashing into the trees/roof?
The drone would stay put and hover till the battery died. unless there were only branches above its sensors then it would fly up into them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svjnilse