DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Gimbal Motor Overload quick fix?

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
Hey guys.

Currently dealing with a faulty gimbal. It's giving me the old "Gimbal overload" warning (for no reason), and the roll axis is going crazy. It's pretty steady (so far as I can tell) in a hover, but when pushing the drone left or right, the gimbal drastically rolls and it looks like **** FPV footage. Behold: (Gimbal overload.mov)

But I'm on a travel job at the moment so I need to see if I can fix it, preferably long term, but at least a little bit so I can salvage some usable shots. Any idea what could cause it, and what a fix might be?

Also, long story short, I think it's just a lemon, and I need a replacement to compete this job urgently. If I can find a store with one in stock, I'm going to buy a new drone, and send this one back for Refund. It's currently suffering it's 2nd major issue, and 3rd overall, and

- First issue was that one of my three batteries was DOA.
- Second was a range issue. Nearly lost it a few times as I struggled to fly more than 500m away, and list signal several times. Turned out to be a faulty component.
- Also as a result of the above, I experienced some very choppy footage in 48/60P.
- Third is this gimbal issue.

Under Australian consumer law, getting a refund shouldn't be an issue. But I've had mixed results in the past when having to exercise my rights. Some companies know the law, and some make things very difficult. Before I rush out to the nearest store and buy a new drone as a replacement, is DJI good to deal with in terms of warranty claims?

@Ben_McPhee get a can of canned air ,and gently blow around the gimbal motors pivot points as sometimes dirt and dust particles can cause friction that will trigger the overload warning

@Ben_McPhee get a can of canned air ,and gently blow around the gimbal motors pivot points as sometimes dirt and dust particles can cause friction that will trigger the overload warning.

Thankyou. Will try that first thing in the morning. :)

Did you happen to see the video I posted? Does your theory line up to that crazy behaviour?

Reactions: old man mavic
@Ben_McPhee if blowing the gimbal does not help then either the motor or associated cables could be faulty ,or even the control board in the drone could have a fault ,my canned air suggestion was just the quick fix you asked about

Yeah, the control board was actually just replaced under warranty. (The flights in the video I posted are just the 2nd and 3rd flights since that repair, and I presume it was cleaned). So I'm thinking this is a bit more of a serious issue. :/

Still, thanks for the tip. :) I have a can of air in my bag so I'll see if I can improve it a bit so I can maybe get through this trip.

@Ben_McPhee get a can of canned air ,and gently blow around the gimbal motors pivot points as sometimes dirt and dust particles can cause friction that will trigger the overload warning
Thank You! Today I was trying the "find my drone" feature with my MM. I landed it on a dirt road, and it being so dry here in the Pacific NW a lot of dust was kicked up. During the next flight I got that warning and it startled me. I took your advice and cleaned things up with some compressed air and now all appears to be well.

BTW, I'm glad I did a search for this before un-neccesarily starting a new post.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851