DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Air 2s Flight at Night - OuterBridge Crossing Staten Island NY & NJ

dronertv

Reactions
Site
droner.tv

Took my first flight at night with my Air 2s. Most of the video is straight from the camera with little editing. I retimed a few of the clips and reversed one. Do you notice the one with the cars driving backward? But virtually nothing with exposure or color correction. I shot in Normal Color Mode. I am very happy with the results I got. Previously, I was flying with the Mavic Mini. So this is a big step up.

This is the Outerbridge Crossing. It connects Staten Island with NJ. It is located at the most southern point in NY. But I was flying from the Jersey side.

I like the video...and would like to get similar....what did you have to do to get permission for night flying and being in the controlled airspace of Newark Liberty....or were you able to stay below it?

Reactions: JimSteadman
I like the video...and would like to get similar....what did you have to do to get permission for night flying and being in the controlled airspace of Newark Liberty....or were you able to stay below it?
Newark Controlled Airspace starts at 1,500ft at the Outerbridge.

Recreational Pilots don't need permission to fly at night. You only needed a waiver if you were flying under Part 107 before April 2021. I am Part 107 and have done the night requirements.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Also...noticed you are in Jersey Droners ( seems like a good, active club)...you the same guy that posted the video of the Yonkers riverfront few weeks ago?..There was a cool video by a guy that I am pretty sure is in that club

Also...noticed you are in Jersey Droners ( seems like a good, active club)...you the same guy that posted the video of the Yonkers riverfront few weeks ago?..There was a cool video by a guy that I am pretty sure is in that club
That was me. Jersey Droners is a great group. Every Saturday morning there is an event, weather permitting. There are also online sessions that are done for education and training. This was the video I previously posted:

N

With the new rules, I did not need a waiver. I just put on an anti-collision light and was good to go.
Which anti-collision light set did you use? And have you seen any other video or stills that you have taken where the anti-collision light messes up the picture, yet?

Enjoyed! Liked and subscribed on YT

Reactions: dronertv

Took my first flight at night with my Air 2s. Most of the video is straight from the camera with little editing. I retimed a few of the clips and reversed one. Do you notice the one with the cars driving backward? But virtually nothing with exposure or color correction. I shot in Normal Color Mode. I am very happy with the results I got. Previously, I was flying with the Mavic Mini. So this is a big step up.

This is the Outerbridge Crossing. It connects Staten Island with NJ. It is located at the most southern point in NY. But I was flying from the Jersey side.
Excelent footage. Thank you

Which anti-collision light set did you use? And have you seen any other video or stills that you have taken where the anti-collision light messes up the picture, yet?
Most people are using Firehouse Strobes. If you place them toward the back of the drone or velcro to the back legs they don't interfere with the camera. I use 4 lights at a time. One on the back. and 3 on the top; one facing forward and 2 facing left and right. The body of the drone blocks the light from hitting the camera.

I am surprised how bright the lights on the Air 2s are without the anti-collision lights. I could see it very well. I would say it is easier to fly at night maintaining VLOS than it is at day the way it is lit up. And I am flying in an urban/suburban area. I can only imagine in a more rural area. I went with a Ulanzi DR-01 for the anti-collision. It is not so much about me seeing it from the ground as it is about aircraft above seeing it. I already see the drone well from below.

Ulanzi DR-01​

Great video, nice shots, the music fits perfec. Thanks for sharing!

Sometimes I see a little stuttering (i.e. at 0:27, the houses next to the river; at 0:55 the illuminated platform(?) in the lower right corner), perhaps you should raise the fps next time. With night shots I suppose it wouldn't destroy the cinematic effect.

I am surprised how bright the lights on the Air 2s are without the anti-collision lights. I could see it very well. I would say it is easier to fly at night maintaining VLOS than it is at day the way it is lit up. And I am flying in an urban/suburban area. I can only imagine in a more rural area. I went with a Ulanzi DR-01 for the anti-collision. It is not so much about me seeing it from the ground as it is about aircraft above seeing it. I already see the drone well from below.

Ulanzi DR-01​

Your right about VLOS. With strobe lights you can fly further away than during the day.

Pic of a 1500 lumen spot light attached to the back of my drone at 1 mile or about 5400ft away at 190ft alt. The light is extremely visible on site. The picture was taken with a cell phone, but is still visible in the center of the photo. The cell phone doesn't do it much justice. Essentially, if your willing to add a little weight (4-5oz) to your drone and invest in a 90 dollar high powered tactical light, you can get longer VLOS on your drones position and direction in daylight. You'll definitely know if its close to a manned aircraft. They may not see it, but you will and can easily avoid collision. If continuously rotated, the drone, acts like a beacon. A manned aircraft would likely see it, but I would yield of course. I actually can fly the drone with this light a mile away and know exactly where it is and what direction its in and am able to fly home without looking at the RC or App whatsoever. If I attach 2, 1500 lumen lights I can easily see it to 1.5 miles. But 10oz of extra weight drains the battery a little to fast and makes the battery a little too hot for my taste, especially on a hot sunny day.

Attachments

• Drone Light 1 Mile away, 1500 lumen spot light.jpg
    Drone Light 1 Mile away, 1500 lumen spot light.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Drone Light 1 Mile away, 1500 lumen spot light.jpg
    Drone Light 1 Mile away, 1500 lumen spot light.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Great video, nice shots, the music fits perfec. Thanks for sharing!

Sometimes I see a little stuttering (i.e. at 0:27, the houses next to the river; at 0:55 the illuminated platform(?) in the lower right corner), perhaps you should raise the fps next time. With night shots I suppose it wouldn't destroy the cinematic effect.
Good catch. I captured it at 30fps. But the edit in Final Cut was 24fps. I reviewed the original clip at the original frame rate and was smooth. Watching the edited video on my Mac I can see the stuttering ever so slightly. It definitely becomes more pronounced on YouTube.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54