DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S optics and GPS

35thStar

Reactions
Air 2S optics and GPS

Hello. New forum member and new to drones.

I just ordered the Air 2S. My phone doesn't meet specs for the Fly app. I'm considering a tablet or mini-tablet for my older eyes. Regarding GPS:

1) Does the tablet I purchase have to have a wireless data plan in order to receive GPS from the drone? I'm considering upgrading my phone if that's the case.
2) Does anyone here use one of the Fire Tablets?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
The tablet does not need a plan, GPS for the drone location is internal.

However if you want maps in Fly,, you'll need somewhere where WI-FI is present and reachable. You can also probably use a hotspot from your phone if you have one to link to a tablet to get map data.

Otherwise Fly will show the home point with no frame of reference without access to the internet to download maps. I think you can cache Maps for an area if you do that before moving to a location without internet access. .

When I started flying with a mini 2 some time ago, I used an older phone without any data plan. It worked fine. It might help to download offline maps when you connect by wifi to the internet.
I never bothered to hotspot - never needed to do so.

The tablet does not need a plan, GPS for the drone location is internal.

However if you want maps in Fly,, you'll need somewhere where WI-FI is present and reachable. You can also probably use a hotspot from your phone if you have one to link to a tablet to get map data.

Otherwise Fly will show the home point with no frame of reference without access to the internet to download maps. I think you can cache Maps for an area if you do that before moving to a location without internet access. .
Thanks for the info. I appreciate your help with newbie questions. Before heading out, I believe that I'll download maps and try to read from cache. I can also set up my phone as a hot spot for the tablet, so that should help.

Is the GPS data from the drone fed to the controller and then displayed on the phone (or the tablet - whatever is being used with the controller)? Is that part of what Occusync does?

When I started flying with a mini 2 some time ago, I used an older phone without any data plan. It worked fine. It might help to download offline maps when you connect by wifi to the internet.
I never bothered to hotspot - never needed to do so.
Thanks for the info. So I could then actually use a phone that I have in a drawer and no longer use for every-day communications (as long as it is up to the task regarding RAM, storage, and processor) as a display for the controller. Is that right?

Thanks for the info. So I could then actually use a phone that I have in a drawer and no longer use for every-day communications (as long as it is up to the task regarding RAM, storage, and processor) as a display for the controller. Is that right?
Yes. That's exactly what I did, even after getting a new phone because it took a few months for the new phone to be supported.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your help with newbie questions. Before heading out, I believe that I'll download maps and try to read from cache. I can also set up my phone as a hot spot for the tablet, so that should help.

Is the GPS data from the drone fed to the controller and then displayed on the phone (or the tablet - whatever is being used with the controller)? Is that part of what Occusync does?
Yes, GPS data is fed to the controller from the Drone via the RC and then the app, connected to the RC shows you the location, as well as the video feed you see from the drone, while flying or taking photos or recording video

The app collects a slews of data from the drone that is stored in files collected in the app that can be analyzed if something out of the ordinary occurs during a flight..

Air 2S optics and GPS

Hello. New forum member and new to drones.

I just ordered the Air 2S. My phone doesn't meet specs for the Fly app. I'm considering a tablet or mini-tablet for my older eyes. Regarding GPS:

1) Does the tablet I purchase have to have a wireless data plan in order to receive GPS from the drone? I'm considering upgrading my phone if that's the case.
2) Does anyone here use one of the Fire Tablets?

Thank you for your help.

Question 1. No. You don’t have to have a wireless data plan.

Question 2. Not familiar with Fire tablets. I use a Tripltek 8 tablet which works great.

I have a Air 2S and use a iPad Mini 6, with Wi-Fi only; it works great for me.
I have Air2S with iPad Mini 5 and it works great and never gets too hot and is bright enough and much bigger than my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I have used with and without ATT Hotspot thru my phone. My iPad Mini 4 would NOT work with Air2S, just too much for it...lots of jerking and overheating.

Reactions: GrandDad48

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus