DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airdata handling multiple flights without power-off?

Paint Rock Drones

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.mintz.net
Yesterday I conducted several flights where I took off, flew for a bit, landed, took off again and finally landed.
DJI fly recorded the total flight times correctly. But when I synched to airdata, only the time from first lift-off to first landing is shown. And the final battery level is incorrect, since it is the reading as of the first landing. Is this a known issue? I have emailed support@airdata, but have not heard back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211103-090218.png
    Screenshot_20211103-090218.png
    63 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20211103-090310.png
    Screenshot_20211103-090310.png
    427.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20211103-090323.png
    Screenshot_20211103-090323.png
    489.5 KB · Views: 5
I've had log files change size on my controller. So check the file size. Seems if you power the controller down too soon after a flight DJI Fly doesn't fully complete the .TXT log. I've had flight logs go from 700k day of flight to 1.3M a few days later.

Leave the drone and controller running for a while after flights or let it run when you get home before you sync logs.

Reactions: DougMcC
I don't think that's it. The two flights were back to back, with a power off to switch batteries. In both cases the airdata entry is cut short at about the time of the first landing. I would think that at least the first entry would be correct since it would have had time to complete logging after I switched batteries.

I just powered on again, let it sit for several minutes, and powered off (without flying). Then I synched airdata again. No new log (presumably since I never flew) and the two entries from yesterday didn't change.

I had to manually upload the new versions of the logs. I normally copy the files manually. That's how I discovered the file size difference in the first place. The file on the controller was larger than the file on my hard disk.

When I uploaded the larger file to airdata, the flight from a week earlier was all of a sudden longer with more stuff going on. Seems like a serious problem for logs, but with what I am learning about how DJI syncs logs, it isn't too surprising. I suspect any log that doesn't have a distinct "MOTORS OFF" message is incomplete.

I didn't - the new logs overwrote the existing - same names and all. Even if you get dupes, easy to see them - just keep the longer flights.

Reactions: Paint Rock Drones
One point, consecutive flights during the same power-up will have a common DAT file number and the DAT file number is recorded in the .txt.
Could this be causing problems?
Besides which, if you are uploading to Airdate via a sync and if a sync transfers the DATs to DJI do Airdate see the DAT?

One point, consecutive flights during the same power-up will have a common DAT file number and the DAT file number is recorded in the .txt.
Could this be causing problems?
Besides which, if you are uploading to Airdate via a sync and if a sync transfers the DATs to DJI do Airdate see the DAT?
This is the first time I've looked for a log file, and I'm not sure I understand.

I have airdata set up to automatically synch, but I think it synchs either by communicating with DJI Fly on my android or by picking up the files directly from my phone. It happens after I've powered down the drone/controller, so I'm pretty sure the files don't go directly from the drone to airdata.

I'm trying to follow the suggestion from @eEridani, but when I look for the log in //root/android/data/dji.go.v5/files/Flightrecord/*.* as suggested here Flight logs mini2 I find the .../android/data folder empty.

Problem solved. I plugged my android into my PC, and manually uploaded the log file. Apparently some things aren't visible via the android "files" app. It did create a duplicate but the new one is correct. I think I can delete the old one.

This is the first time I've looked for a log file, and I'm not sure I understand.
The drone records two "flight logs" on the screen device.

One of these logs has a name that ends with or has the extension DAT, the recording of this log runs from drone power-up to drone switch off, it is largely technical data about the drone.
Its name consists of a date and time stamp a number that indicates if it is the first or second or........ad infinitum DAT log recorded by the drone, that number/count is the "Dat file number " I referred to. (Unfortunately DJI have started to reset the "DAT file number" at 99 +1 to 0 and the count cycle begins again. With the Phantom 3's it the numbering scheme continues beyond 100.)

The other flight log has a name which ends with .txt, this log contains a data lot of data about the flight, location, height, distance, various settings etc. AND the corresponding "DAT file number". It runs from motor start to motor stop.

As the DAT file covers the period from drone switch on to drone switch off all flights flown during a given 'switch on' will have the same DAT file number and that common number is stored in the relevant place in all the .txt flight logs.

I was 'wondering' if this common DAT file number is confusing Airdata.
In addition I believe that syncing removes-from-the-screen-device/transfers the DAT flight logs to DJI and I 'was wondering' if Airdata is given any information from the DAT file during there connection to DJI.
Losing the DAT files, or fear of losing the DAT files, is one reason why I won't "sync". Unless you first back up your logs you then have to ask DJI to get your DAT file back.

Interesting. I see only one .txt file too, from power on to power off, regardless of the number of landings. I manually uploaded the .txt files from my problem flights to airdata, and that's what fixed my problem. I did not upload any .dat files.

My .dat files are in fact disappearing. Are you saying it is the airdata sync that makes them disappear?

I have at least temporarily disabled auto-sync in my airdata app until I figure out what it is really doing.

Yesterday I conducted several flights where I took off, flew for a bit, landed, took off again and finally landed.
DJI fly recorded the total flight times correctly. But when I synched to airdata, only the time from first lift-off to first landing is shown. And the final battery level is incorrect, since it is the reading as of the first landing. Is this a known issue? I have emailed support@airdata, but have not heard back.
lost one of my air 2's to what appears to be (Mod Removed Language’ near exactly the same deal. One flight that was split into three before mine went totally AWOL and because the battery level is incorrect as you said, I would think that the computer thinks its okay to keep flying. I was filming a long duration time lapse when it just vanished entirely from the range of my remote; even though it was within view. only 230 feet away on the horizontal axis but was around 1000 feet straight up. This will be my 17th drone from DJI,(being that i run a business), but of those 17, exactly 0 are in working order. I have been in a position where i thought i have had them back into a corner with all the evidence id need to prove that it wasn't my piloting that caused the "flyaways", but the best i've ever gotten from the hard nosed (Mod Removed Language’is 50 % off; and thats even getting them to admit that it "may be mismatched software causing an issue". This current problem, the one we are discussing, i've been arguing back and forth for four months and I just resolved it...... again, 50%...... but if someone can point me in the direction of a drone that has even close to the same abilities as DJI then I will run with a bag full of cash to support that business. Because at this point, I think a drunken (Mod Removed Language)Honey Badger would do better when it comes to customer relations/service

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54