DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

All we can do is write to our House reps. and Senators to try to avoid this very stupid DJI ban

NoVaMavicPilot

Reactions
I am infuriated with this bill. Write to your reps. folks, and vote these knee jerk idiotic representatives out who would devastate entire industries with cheap, senseless, dog whistle legislation.

Greetings Congressman Connolly,

I am writing to express my frustration with, and grave concerns about, a bad faith piece of legislation included in the NDAA: the misnamed "Countering CCP Drones Act," introduced by Ms. Stefanik, who apparently has close ties to the head of an American drone manufacturer. I am an 18 year member of the Inspector General community, a sworn Federal law enforcement officer, drone photographer and responsible drone pilot commercially-certifed by the FAA. Hopefully, your staff has thoroughly briefed and advised you of the potential fallout resulting from this draconian, knee jerk, cheap messaging anti-Chinese bill. As you are aware, the U.S. drone industry will exceed $12 billion, and thousands of military, local, state, and Federal law enforcement officials rely almost exclusively on DJI's drone products for a vastly diverse set of needs at a competitive price that is affordable under lowest bid contracting schemes. There are currently no alternatives that rival the pricing, quality, and testing that DJI has provided over several years. Almost overnight, with the passage of this bill, users will be left with few to no options to purchase drones or parts in the U.S. Safe hobbyists, photographers, travel guides, real estate professionals and so many other occupations will face dire consequences without DJI products available. In this corner of the market, it would be akin to an outright ban on, say, Dell computer products, if Apple didn't exist. If we are to believe the bill's proponents, who, again, have ties to an American drone manufacturer that needs all the assistance it can get to compete with DJI, then DJI is supposedly using everyday drone footage, which, under FAA law, under most conditions is limited to a maximum of 400 feet and "geo-fenced" away from sensitive installations, as some kind of an intelligence gathering operation. This claim has been debunked and revealed for the conspiratorial dog whistle that it is. If the claim is true, and if DJI drones pose such a grave concern to national security that Congress would destroy an important burgeoning market (and law enforcement applications), then consider the myriad of solutions available that can restrict any potential transmission of sensitive images to the CCP. Many solutions have been raised, including requiring that DJI servers be placed within the U.S., subject to oversight and data sharing protocols. There are many such nuanced technical solutions, here. I urge you to consider that this bill, if passed, would have unanticipated shocks across the U.S. market and across several industries for many years to come. Please vote against this bill, as written, and encourage your colleagues to do the same.

Well said, but hopefully you broke it up into paragraphs before sending it. :)

In addition to writing to your senators, I wonder how effective it would be to contact a local TV station. Give them information to start with, they can interview a local LEO agency to have them go on camera for how this would affect them. They could then reach out to the local congressional representative to find out why they are supporting this bill. My district is Stefanik adjacent, so that wont do much. but it could least stop it from being a landslide.

Reactions: NoVaMavicPilot
In addition to writing to your senators, I wonder how effective it would be to contact a local TV station. Give them information to start with, they can interview a local LEO agency to have them go on camera for how this would affect them. They could then reach out to the local congressional representative to find out why they are supporting this bill. My district is Stefanik adjacent, so that wont do much. but it could least stop it from being a landslide.
That's a great idea. I nominate @Vic Moss for the job! :)

I'm sure some pilots may know of Bruce Simpson, a.k.a. X-Jet, from New Zealand and his videos.

Something he ranted about the banning of new frequencies from DJI in the future could affect other products. 🤔

DJI also has wireless equipment (mics, pocket cameras, etc.) that must be FCC approved.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I started posting about this potential ban months ago and I was repeatedly ridiculed as being in panic mode. I was not panicking, just preparing for what appears to be inevitable. Fortunately, aerial imaging makes up less than 5% of my photography and content creation business. I will never buy a Skydio drone after this stunt, even if they make one that is affordable.

I am infuriated with this bill. Write to your reps. folks, and vote these knee jerk idiotic representatives out who would devastate entire industries with cheap, senseless, dog whistle legislation.

I am writing to express my frustration with, and grave concerns about, a bad faith piece of legislation included in the NDAA: the misnamed "Countering CCP Drones Act," introduced by Ms. Stefanik, who apparently has close ties to the head of an American drone manufacturer. I am an 18 year member of the Inspector General community, a sworn Federal law enforcement officer, drone photographer and responsible drone pilot commercially-certifed by the FAA. Hopefully, your staff has thoroughly briefed and advised you of the potential fallout resulting from this draconian, knee jerk, cheap messaging anti-Chinese bill. As you are aware, the U.S. drone industry will exceed $12 billion, and thousands of military, local, state, and Federal law enforcement officials rely almost exclusively on DJI's drone products for a vastly diverse set of needs at a competitive price that is affordable under lowest bid contracting schemes. There are currently no alternatives that rival the pricing, quality, and testing that DJI has provided over several years. Almost overnight, with the passage of this bill, users will be left with few to no options to purchase drones or parts in the U.S. Safe hobbyists, photographers, travel guides, real estate professionals and so many other occupations will face dire consequences without DJI products available. In this corner of the market, it would be akin to an outright ban on, say, Dell computer products, if Apple didn't exist. If we are to believe the bill's proponents, who, again, have ties to an American drone manufacturer that needs all the assistance it can get to compete with DJI, then DJI is supposedly using everyday drone footage, which, under FAA law, under most conditions is limited to a maximum of 400 feet and "geo-fenced" away from sensitive installations, as some kind of an intelligence gathering operation. This claim has been debunked and revealed for the conspiratorial dog whistle that it is. If the claim is true, and if DJI drones pose such a grave concern to national security that Congress would destroy an important burgeoning market (and law enforcement applications), then consider the myriad of solutions available that can restrict any potential transmission of sensitive images to the CCP. Many solutions have been raised, including requiring that DJI servers be placed within the U.S., subject to oversight and data sharing protocols. There are many such nuanced technical solutions, here. I urge you to consider that this bill, if passed, would have unanticipated shocks across the U.S. market and across several industries for many years to come. Please vote against this bill, as written, and encourage your colleagues to do the same.
Before even reading it I would suggest that you break the letter down into paragraphs.

Reactions: NoVaMavicPilot
I started posting about this potential ban months ago and I was repeatedly ridiculed as being in panic mode.
Join the club. :mad:

I am not in the USA but this is ridiculous and frightening how bills are attached to other bills to get through.
I agree this is a trade war ! China now leads the World in 27 out of 33 technologies and the answer is to build better and cheaper not to cut out opposition under pretence of Natiional security !
I suggest they shut down Google Maps as all the areas available to Drone pilots are in not quite the detail available in google Maps

I started posting about this potential ban months ago and I was repeatedly ridiculed as being in panic mode. I was not panicking, just preparing for what appears to be inevitable. Fortunately, aerial imaging makes up less than 5% of my photography and content creation business. I will never buy a Skydio drone after this stunt, even if they make one that is affordable.
Same here, I spotted the writing on the wall on my side of the pond as well as yours over 18 months ago and started commenting, only to also be labelled 'paranoid', 'hysteric' and a 'conspiracy nut'.

The bloke in the video repeats many of the points I advanced about people getting up off their backsides as an active lobby/protest group. You don't just need the American Drone Advocacy Alliance - we in other countries will soon need an International Drone Advocacy Alliance to stand up to this lunacy.

But what REALLY fascinates me too is the idea that (particularly in America) the average drone owner (one of well over a million of 'em) is content to sit back and watch while minor rights to the free pursuit of leisure pastimes are snatched away and the sub-400' airspace licensing is being sold to the highest commercial bidders.

I genuinely thought the NRA 'knuckle-up for a scrap' mentality would come out of the closet.

Screenshot_20240615-081420.png

All we can do is write to our House reps. and Senators to try to avoid this very stupid DJI ban

Reactions: Rchawks
I am not in the USA but this is ridiculous and frightening how bills are attached to other bills to get through.
I agree this is a trade war ! China now leads the World in 27 out of 33 technologies and the answer is to build better and cheaper not to cut out opposition under pretence of Natiional security !
I suggest they shut down Google Maps as all the areas available to Drone pilots are in not quite the detail available in google Maps
Your first sentence is one of the most infuriating and things our Congress does. And it’s done to push through crap the public wouldn’t like. Bills should be singular with zero unrelated items. This is how “pork” has gotten out of control. It harkens back to one of the most idiotic statements ever made by a person in Congress: “we have to pass the bill so you know what’s in it”…?!?!?

at this stage, it's probably pointless to write to members of the House of Reps. They have had 2 committee votes on the CCP Drone Act, and the votes have been 43-0 and 57-1. The House is in full-blown lemming mode on this issue. "china bad; usa good rah rah" rinse and repeat

looks like if the momentum to ban is broken it will be in the Senate, so by all means, contact your home state senators, and any others you can think of

I'm guessing that the First Responder Alliances getting heavily involved in the Senate process will make a difference. Average citizens making a stink will add to that

at this stage, it's probably pointless to write to members of the House of Reps. They have had 2 committee votes on the CCP Drone Act, and the votes have been 43-0 and 57-1. The House is in full-blown lemming mode on this issue. "china bad; usa good rah rah" rinse and repeat
I think the House is passed already and thus....done.

Reactions: anotherlab
I think the House is passed already and thus....done.
that's what I thought because that's what Vic Moss said in an interview a week ago

but according to the Pilot Institute News blog, the NDAA has NOT passed the House yet and we don't even know the language of the Bill yet:

he talks about it a little at 10:50

that's what I thought because that's what Vic Moss said in an interview a week ago

but according to the Pilot Institute News blog, the NDAA has NOT passed the House yet and we don't even know the language of the Bill yet:

he talks about it a little at 10:50
Could just be the timing, everything about this is breaking news at this point so timing is everything. If we are not careful, we'll be reading about the President signing the bill into law before we know it:

Could just be the timing, everything about this is breaking news at this point so timing is everything. If we are not careful, we'll be reading about the President signing the bill into law before we know it:

yes...when I started looking into it I saw that it passed the house yesterday on a party line vote after the Republicans had loaded it up with cultural war malarkey. That doesn't mean any Democrats opposed the CCP provisions

the Senate has released an outline of their intent and focuses of their version of the NDAA. The only language kind of related to DJI was about UAS (un-crewed aircraft systems) on page 10:

"Advancing Counter-UAS Technologies
• Requires the establishment of a counter-uncrewed aircraft system (c-UAS) task force to
review guidance relating to c-UAS activities.
• Requires a strategy for countering drone technologies, referring drone offenses for
investigation and prosecution, and assessing resources or authorities necessary for
drone incursion response
."

https://subscriber.politicopro.com/...f-afd6-d77901ab0000#page=10&zoom=auto,-73,738

that vague language certainly opens the door for Stefanik's type of fear-mongering on DJI

normally, the final version of the NDAA reaches the President's desk around the end of July

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efe