DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alleged near miss with air ambulance in London

scro

Reactions
Allegedly a drone came "within yards" of a London air ambulance helicopter:

The reporter seems to be struggling with units of measurement thought, as he says: "The legal limit for drones to fly is 400m"

I'm always a bit skeptical about the distances reported of how close supposed drones approach aircraft in these types of incident, as it is notoriously difficult for humans to accurately judge distance, even at very close range, without reliable scale and perspective references. Very often what is reported as a "drone" passing close to a manned aircraft could just as easily be another manned aircraft much further away, and often there is indeed an ADS-B trace from a nearby commercial flight that corresponds well with the time/direction/altitude.

However, in this particular instance it seems likely that there was a drone of some description relatively close to the helicopter - ie within a few hundred meters. Not so cool?

Again, no shortage of morons in this world. Now we have "Budget" drones so that number has grown exponentially. ;) I would have passed this by like another Gatwick report, except that it was spotted by the Doctor on the pad.

thanks for sharing!

This one seems "Fairly credible" and only mildly "inflated"

It's UAV pilots like that who cause the rest of us to face tighter restrictions. As do we all, I wish when they catch THAT pilot, they don't throw all of in the same category. However, it tends to be that way. "THEY" think, 'one bad pilot, ALL are bad pilots.'
Interesting in the article, as stated earlier, they are mixing their measurements - some in meters, some in Feet. Does no one proof read this stuff?

Flying a drone comes with a great deal of responsibility. Some people think they can get away. I think the only way to crack down on this is to let DJI have unlimited access to our flight logs. Now, I know this might sound controversial, but if you're not doing anything wrong, then what's there to worry about? The DJI should link with the FAA and aviation authorities around the world in this regard.

Thanks Goodness for the TRUST certification exam :)

Flying a drone comes with a great deal of responsibility. Some people think they can get away. I think the only way to crack down on this is to let DJI have unlimited access to our flight logs. Now, I know this might sound controversial, but if you're not doing anything wrong, then what's there to worry about? The DJI should link with the FAA and aviation authorities around the world in this regard.

Thanks Goodness for the TRUST certification exam :)
I understand the concept of what you're saying, but...
What would be next? Our cars transmitting to our local LEOs the way we drive? We start getting tickets mailed to us, our licenses get suspended by mail?? Our online or retail purchases being transmitted to the Trade commissions to track what we buy? Then they start telling us we buy to much alcohol or too many cigarettes or unhealthy food? Our TVs let's some agencies know how many hours we watch it and we get told to exercise more? It all starts somewhere. So...No, thanks!

Reactions: projectarjun
I understand the concept of what you're saying, but...
What would be next? Our cars transmitting to our local LEOs the way we drive? We start getting tickets mailed to us, our licenses get suspended by mail?? Our online or retail purchases being transmitted to the Trade commissions to track what we buy? Then they start telling us we buy to much alcohol or too many cigarettes or unhealthy food? Our TVs let's some agencies know how many hours we watch it and we get told to exercise more? It all starts somewhere. So...No, thanks!
You have a point, I'm not saying that they should be tracking our every move, but I find airspace more sensitive versus what happens on the ground.

Its true that if we give DJI/FAA the leverage to access the logs like that then this may be the first step towards our privacy being stripped away. I can understand how sensitive this issue is. :)

Reactions: Prop Wash
You have a point, I'm not saying that they should be tracking our every move, but I find airspace more sensitive versus what happens on the ground.

Its true that if we give DJI/FAA the leverage to access the logs like that then this may be the first step towards our privacy being stripped away. I can understand how sensitive this issue is. :)

Well, eID is coming and everyone and his brother will be able to see the exact flightpath and takeoff location of any drone nearby, as drones will be transmitting that data via WiFi...

So enjoy the hobby while you can, from 2023 on prepare to be constantly harassed and assaulted by anyone nearby, despite the fact you are flying legally.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
That is actually 01, September 2023 for that requirement to be met...and from what I have read...if you have a drone that was not built with that capability to transmit that data...you have to get something that seems to already be available and add it on to the drone...under certain circumstances, this will not apply to drones under 250 grams

• Love
Reactions: projectarjun
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darksebius