DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aloft Air Aware

dj3183

Reactions
Just received this email from [email protected]. It appears to be a replacement for “B4UFLY”. Can anyone who has used it tell me anything about it? Before flying, I always go to https://faa.maps.arcgis.com to check for altitude limitations. Does this replace that? Is it used to get LAANC variances? What are we supposed to use it for?

Attachments

• IMG_0565.jpeg
    IMG_0565.jpeg
    435 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: Paul Harvey
It is mainly to inform other pilots you are flying in some area. It is NOT a LAANC. In fact I just went to the web site version and it shows a large area as a an areas with cautionary advisories when in fact it is entirely restricted and LAANC is not even available. It will, at least, allow you to see when other people have gone in and marked an area as one in which they will fly and provide some guidance as to whether an area is restricted. It is not however, LAANC and for that you have to go to Air Control to actually get a LAANC permission. There are more details on the new "B4UFLY" app and web page at Aloft Partners with Pilot Institute on B4UFLY Replacement: Air Aware | Aloft

good to know. I didn't see that on the web site but perhaps I didn't look hard enough.

Once I signed into the app, LAANC was immediately available.
Where at? When I click "Get LAANC" in Air Aware it opens up the Air Control App. I'm signed in there myself, so perhaps that's what you're seeing as well? Or I'm missing it as well.

Where at? When I click "Get LAANC" in Air Aware it opens up the Air Control App. I'm signed in there myself, so perhaps that's what you're seeing as well? Or I'm missing it as well.
I'm not sure. I'm on my phone. When I click on the drop down menu in the top left, and select "Get LAANC" it then asks me to authenticate my ID with my fingerprint, then the window opens back up with a pop up in the lower left with these three tabs; Home, Missions, and LAANC. Is that the Air Control App that is opening? It looks the same as the Air Control map and set up?

Once I signed into the app, LAANC was immediately available.
If you're in an area that needs LAANC, it takes you to your AirControl app. Air Aware is not a LAANC app.

Reactions: bstirling
There are a lot of apps that will do LAANC very well. I've experimented with a bunch, so far I really like the UX/UI of the AirHub Portal - portal.airspacelink.com

So everyone is up to date with the correct information; while some exciting changes are coming soon to the FAA B4UFLY program, it is not going away, and Air Aware is not replacing it. If you have any questions about the upcoming changes around B4UFLY before they announce it, you can always reach out to the FAA’s UAS Support Center by calling 844-FLY-MY-UA or emailing them using one of the forms on the FAA’s UAS Contact Us webpage.

Reactions: careless and WShade
So everyone is up to date with the correct information; while some exciting changes are coming soon to the FAA B4UFLY program, it is not going away, and Air Aware is not replacing it. If you have any questions about the upcoming changes around B4UFLY before they announce it, you can always reach out to the FAA’s UAS Support Center by calling 844-FLY-MY-UA or emailing them using one of the forms on the FAA’s UAS Contact Us webpage.
That's interesting as Greg from Pilot Institute said that it was soon going away on their Monday Q&A.

Just to add to this thread, I have the B4UFLY, Air Aware and the Aloft Air Control Apps on my galaxy phone, the B4UFLY did not respond ( it never left the Checking Air Space Mode ), so I went to the new Air Aware App and it worked just fine, it indeed sends one to the Air Control app for LAANC Requests.

So the B4UFLY App was removed on my phone.

Reactions: bstirling
That's interesting as Greg from Pilot Institute said that it was soon going away on their Monday Q&A.
I saw that as well and unfortunately, that does not represent exactly what's going on with B4UFLY. It is changing but the overall program is not ending. I wish I could elaborate more but the FAA should release some info soon. I think the message to the Pilots Institute from Aloft may have been miscommunicated, or simply misunderstood.

Just to add to this thread, I have the B4UFLY, Air Aware and the Aloft Air Control Apps on my galaxy phone, the B4UFLY did not respond ( it never left the Checking Air Space Mode ), so I went to the new Air Aware App and it worked just fine, it indeed sends one to the Air Control app for LAANC Requests.

So the B4UFLY App was removed on my phone.

The B4YouFly app is working fine on my phone - Samsung Galaxy S20. Air Aware and Air Control check out fine, too.

Reactions: BlueHeeler
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4