DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude Caption Differences... Interesting

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I've got two drones now, a Mini and a Mavic 2 Pro. Both have captions turned on and I will view the data on VLC playback when I want to see the caption data. What I find curiously interesting is that the Mini displays the altitude in AGL and feet, while the M2 displays it in MSL (in meters rather than imperial, though the drone is set to imperial).

When I first got my M2 I thought there was some sort of error as the altitude numbers were strange, until I figured out that 1) The caption display was shown in meters. 2) The caption was MSL. And 3)... I didn't realize that even where the water meets sand at Lake Michigan, the water level is 578 MSL! So to determine AGL in feet, there are two calculations to be made; altitude minus ground level MSL, then meters to feet. Personally I prefer the way all the Mini caption display reads.

I've never seen a MA2 up close and personal, so how does its altitude caption data display?

Thoughts, comments?

When I first got my M2 I thought there was some sort of error as the altitude numbers were strange, until I figured out that 1) The caption display was shown in meters. 2) The caption was MSL. And 3)... I didn't realize that even where the water meets sand at Lake Michigan, the water level is 578 MSL! So to determine AGL in feet, there are two calculations to be made; altitude minus ground level MSL, then meters to feet. Personally I prefer the way all the Mini caption display reads.

Thoughts, comments?
It might be worth checking a little before accepting those MSL heights as accurate.
DJI used (and still use) a dubious method to give an MSL height in Exif data for images.
It's commonly out by a couple of hundred feet and the amount varies from day to day.
DJI changed the source of the altitude data for the Mavic 2 so it is more accurate now but I haven't seen anything to show what method they have used for the Air 2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest