DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude readout issue with VLC Caption Data

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I've gotten used to reading the caption data with my Mini with VLC viewer. That is pretty straight forward. So I turned captions on in my M2Pro, and have been running tests to get acquainted with this machine that has so many more features. I ran a very quick flight test this morning to check something else, but when I opened the file in VLC, looking to see how high I went, I was kind of perplexed at the altitude reading when almost on the ground. I didn't pay a lot of attention, but I think the display on my phone was reading near zero... yet the VLC data says 193xxx. "Huh"???" I thought. The MM would read 0' when landed in the same place.

Then it occurred to me, while I am only 3 miles or so from Lake Michigan, what is the elevation here. Here's what I found.
Location: United States > Illinois > Cook County > Niles Township >
Longitude: -87.741624
Latitude: 42.0324025

Elevation: 185m / 607feet
Barometric Pressure: 99KPa

So, is what I'm seeing on the data on VLC reflecting the altitude above MSL? Is there a way to reset it to zero, or is this how the M2P just operates??? Can someone straighten me out so I have a better understanding of what I'm seeing and how to better control what I need when I look at the captions or data? TIA

Altitude_reading.jpg

VLC doesn't know that you're play a drone video, so if there is barometric MSL metadata in the video, that's probably what it's displaying.

While, of course, DJI Go 4 and other control apps are going to be showing AGL, which should be ~zero at take off. And that number is in a metadata field that VLC isn't displaying.

Or I could be (and often am) entirely wrong.

Chris

VLC doesn't know that you're play a drone video, so if there is barometric MSL metadata in the video, that's probably what it's displaying.

While, of course, DJI Go 4 and other control apps are going to be showing AGL, which should be ~zero at take off. And that number is in a metadata field that VLC isn't displaying.

Or I could be (and often am) entirely wrong.

Chris
It makes sense. HOWEVER, VLC shows 0' at laungh with my Mavic Mini so I didn't expect a difference with the M2P. It was disconcerting at first until I googled the MSL of our area. I was actually surprised to find that we are not at sea level, in spite of being 3 miles off a major lake with no hills to speak of between here and the lake. Finding I live 600' above MSL was a shocker.

Is there a program that can display the metadata so I can check?

Yeah, I'm at 425ft above SL and I'm actually just 3 miles from the sea (Puget Sound). There are a lot of lakes at high altitudes; Lake Tahoe is at over 6,000ft.

I'm not sure about metadata. You can get some from the operating system (properties, details in Windows File Explorer) and some in video apps (there's a Metadata area in DeVinci Resolve), but neither of them seem to give this kind of info (GPS coords, altitudes, etc.).

Hopefully someone else can chime in with something.

Chris

Yeah, I'm at 425ft above SL and I'm actually just 3 miles from the sea (Puget Sound). There are a lot of lakes at high altitudes; Lake Tahoe is at over 6,000ft.

I'm not sure about metadata. You can get some from the operating system (properties, details in Windows File Explorer) and some in video apps (there's a Metadata area in DeVinci Resolve), but neither of them seem to give this kind of info (GPS coords, altitudes, etc.).

Hopefully someone else can chime in with something.

Chris
I wouldn't have suspected that DaVinci Resolve would have been much help in this area. I'll have to pay more attention and perhaps record the screen and then try to transpose altitude data. Maybe it's just as simple as taking the caption altitude and subtracing 607'?

All the Great Lakes are substantially above sea level. That’s what makes Niagara FALLS such a tourist attraction. All rivers flowing into ocean are, by definition, above sea level.

Reactions: Camino Ken
How do you do that? Nowhere in VLC I can find a setting to enable the view of meta-data (I fly a M2P).
First you have to turn captions on in the M2P (or any DJI drone). Then VLC has a "subtitle" menu that either needs to turned on with each play, or set in the prefences area.

Reactions: PimV
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ