DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android phone better than DJI RC?

jdmassapr

Reactions
I have the DJI RC (screen) RC. However, it doesn't support 3rd-party apps like DroneLink. Is it better to buy a brand new Android phone with no cell coverage and connect it via bluetooth with my iPhone to provide data? As many know, the iPhone screen darkens after a while. Android screens do not.

The Android would give me a clear bright screen same as the RC and would support DroneLink. My iPhone would provide the data coverage through the hotspot function.

Thanks.

Yes, a dedicated screen is the way to go. You could even get a tablet... There have been several discussions around here about that

I have a Tripltek 8 pro tablet (android) which is super bright in the daylight sun.. Best thing ever for my bad eyes..

Reactions: MA2 317
Hello from the Crossroads of America jdmassapr

I second the Tripltek tablet as a dedicated flying device. 👍

Super bright screen, never fades, and battery power to last.

It's a little chunky due to the military construction, but it's the best tablet to fly a drone. A lanyard helps with this.

Plus it's SIM card friendly so you can pop a card in for service if you don't want to Hot Spot the iPhone.

Have fun shopping and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I have the DJI RC (screen) RC. However, it doesn't support 3rd-party apps

Interesting. I have the Smart Controller and it will run 3rd Party apps, but you have to manually install the Google Play store (and maybe you can sideload apps? I haven't tried), so it's not super intuitive....but possible nonetheless. Are they really blocked completely on the RC? I haven't tried the RC out, but the Smart Controller at least is basically just a small Android tablet built into a controller.

Many variables here... Do you already have an RC-N1? If not, you'll have to buy one of those too.

What features are important to you? If the convenience and easy, fast deployment with the DJI RC is important to you, biting the bullet and getting an RC Pro, despite its cost, may be worth the investment. In addition to the obvious advantages, you can consolidate your entire DJI Squadron to use it.

And, you could offset some of the cost by selling your DJI RC.

I've come to really like flying Mini3P and A2S with the DJI RC, so I'm tempted to make this move myself. So many things, not enough $$...

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I have the DJI RC (screen) RC. However, it doesn't support 3rd-party apps like DroneLink. Is it better to buy a brand new Android phone with no cell coverage and connect it via bluetooth with my iPhone to provide data?
Even better, get an 8 inch Android tablet and get more screen real estate.
I just bought the Mavic 3 pro with the RC and am selling the controller without using it.
The tablet and RC-N1 is a good combination.

Another recommendation for the Tripltek. Now that summer is here I’ve pulled mine out. Brighter screen than nearly all phones and a reasonably large screen. I have a big iPhone and it’s brighter and larger than that. Short of an RC Pro it’s probably the best option out there. I fly with my iPad often in winter but in summer when I’m sitting in the sun the phone and ipad are simply too dim when they get hot.

I have the DJI RC (screen) RC. However, it doesn't support 3rd-party apps like DroneLink. Is it better to buy a brand new Android phone with no cell coverage and connect it via bluetooth with my iPhone to provide data? As many know, the iPhone screen darkens after a while. Android screens do not.

The Android would give me a clear bright screen same as the RC and would support DroneLink. My iPhone would provide the data coverage through the hotspot function.

Thanks.
I've used the DJI RC-N1(no screen) with both an older Android S20 as well as my current iphone14. My experience from a signal standpoint is that both are noticeably superior to the DJI-RC(screen) I use with my Mavic 3. Oddly, I've never experienced a screen dimming issue going thru a full Mini 2 battery.

Thanks.
plus the FCC hack of course giving me solid dependable strong signal, and Litchi for VR flying yup dont bother splashing 800 fat ones on Goggles 2 when you can use a good android phone like a Samsung S10 with 580 dpi, plus nice and thin for the goggles and be inside your drones

Even better, get an 8 inch Android tablet and get more screen real estate.
I just bought the Mavic 3 pro with the RC and am selling the controller without using it.
The tablet and RC-N1 is a good combination.
I have a Crystal Sky High Brightness tablet I like+use with the M2P..Do I assume correctly it will work with the Mavic 3 Pro?I assume I'll need a new holder.Thanks.

Another recommendation for the Tripltek. Now that summer is here I’ve pulled mine out. Brighter screen than nearly all phones and a reasonably large screen. I have a big iPhone and it’s brighter and larger than that. Short of an RC Pro it’s probably the best option out there. I fly with my iPad often in winter but in summer when I’m sitting in the sun the phone and ipad are simply too dim when they get hot.
then fly VR with goggles and shut the sun out

Reactions: Torque
Interesting. I have the Smart Controller and it will run 3rd Party apps, but you have to manually install the Google Play store (and maybe you can sideload apps? I haven't tried), so it's not super intuitive....but possible nonetheless. Are they really blocked completely on the RC? I haven't tried the RC out, but the Smart Controller at least is basically just a small Android tablet built into a controller.
I just installed drone link directly to controller via their website

Regarding third party apps, as of the Mini 3 Pro onward (Using DJI's MSDK v5) your only options for third party apps are :

- DJI RC Pro (expensive, but impressive)
- DJI RC N-1 w/ an Android device (a lot of screen size/etc options)

Apple/iOS is no longer supported as of v5 of the MSDK, but you can still use the official DJI Fly on iOS.

Far as the route, the DJI RC is rated at about 700nit for brightness, I ended up going with a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3, sort of a "poor man's Tripletek" in a way especially when both the Wifi and LTE models were on sale a while back (Got mine for a little under 400 for the 128GB model).

- 750 nit max boost brightness which stays on (doesn't fade in and out like some devices)
- Will be supported up to Android 15 due to being one of Samsung's enterprise devices (Currently runs Android 13)
- Has the same military grade durability to drops, heat, cold, water, etc as the TripleTek line
- Supports additional storage via micro-SD slot
- Has 4GB ram (versus the 8 you can get on the Tripletek running the older Android 10)
- Has a hard outer sleeve and pen that can be removed (works better in the tablet holder without, still retains it's ruggedness).
- Has a user-removable battery that can be replaced
- Performs rather well with DJI Fly, Dronelink, Litchi, etc

The older Smart Controller can be used for third party apps, but isn't compatible with most the drones past the Air 2S, and a lot of the smart controllers already have failing batteries due to age. They also cannot do any higher than Ocusync 2.0 (so going from an RC-N1 to a Smart Controller, for the Air 2S, you get less range/signal quality). Ideally it's better to just stick with the RC-N1 + Android device if you don't have anything else yet rather than invest money into the older smart controller.

Reactions: Torque
plus the FCC hack of course giving me solid dependable strong signal, and Litchi for VR flying yup dont bother splashing 800 fat ones on Goggles 2 when you can use a good android phone like a Samsung S10 with 580 dpi, plus nice and thin for the goggles and be inside your drones
If you're in the US (or US Territories) the controller would already be in FCC mode, so having the FCC hack wouldn't do anything.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom