DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

another discovery...

edfrombama

Reactions
Good morning to all-

Last evening after the mandatory early afternoon thunderstorm had passed and cleared away, I took the Mini 2 to the back deck launch area and sent her up. I flew my usual route toward town and on the way from my normal cruising altitude- no, I won't reveal that information- I spotted a couple of additions to my area. A couple of horses now reside in a pasture, so I stopped the drone to look at the new horses. It was interesting to see the horses going about their business from above. So, on a whim, I very gradually lowered the altitude until I was no more than 100 feet above the horses. They made no response to me and my drone, and with the drone camera zoomed in, I was able to see the horses flick their ears, swash their tails, and move about with no alarm from the drone at all. And remember, this pasture is about 2000 feet from launch area, and the drone kept perfect contact and control even when I lowered the altitude to 100 feet.
I watched the horses go about their lives until the drone told me it was time to come home.
Raised her up to clear tree-top altitude, put her in sport mode, and we came right on home.

So, what did we learn in class today? The Mini 2 has superb connection and control, and we learned that animals- horses at least, don't seem to mind having a drone above them at all- totally ignore it, they do.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Good morning to all-

Last evening after the mandatory early afternoon thunderstorm had passed and cleared away, I took the Mini 2 to the back deck launch area and sent her up. I flew my usual route toward town and on the way from my normal cruising altitude- no, I won't reveal that information- I spotted a couple of additions to my area. A couple of horses now reside in a pasture, so I stopped the drone to look at the new horses. It was interesting to see the horses going about their business from above. So, on a whim, I very gradually lowered the altitude until I was no more than 100 feet above the horses. They made no response to me and my drone, and with the drone camera zoomed in, I was able to see the horses flick their ears, swash their tails, and move about with no alarm from the drone at all. And remember, this pasture is about 2000 feet from launch area, and the drone kept perfect contact and control even when I lowered the altitude to 100 feet.
I watched the horses go about their lives until the drone told me it was time to come home.
Raised her up to clear tree-top altitude, put her in sport mode, and we came right on home.

So, what did we learn in class today? The Mini 2 has superb connection and control, and we learned that animals- horses at least, don't seem to mind having a drone above them at all- totally ignore it, they do.

Or maybe the American Deaf and Blind Horse Coalition put a couple of their charges out to pasture near your place?

Enjoy this fine flying weather before that tropical disturbance out in the Gulf pushes the clouds and rain inland over the next few days.

I'm in central KY right now - surrounded by horses. I've never seen them get disturbed at all from my drone and I've flown a few feet away.

Reactions: MS Coast
Good morning to all-
MS Coast- You are very correct about the flying weather that may deteriorate here on the coast. I have had quite enough of "tropical weather" to do me for a long time. And I don't think these particular horses to be blind and deaf- one, it appears, may be gravid- but they just don't care if I fly around them or not.

And fgurnee- I agree- nature deals with a whole lot of man-made noise and disturbance, and most pay us very little attention once they get used to our noise. Drones get selected to be excluded because certain people don't know and they don't care- In their minds, anyone doing something THEY don't know about and take part in is suspect.

Reactions: MS Coast
It's surprising sometimes how close you can get to animals without disturbing them. But birds up in the sky? Several times my drones have been harrassed by birds. I don't think my drones have ever been physically assaulted, but a few times it was really close.

Good morning to all-

I was talking to a guy at a horse stable about the place where I practice maneuvers and he invited me to use one of their empty fields. I was concerned about disturbing the horses and he laughed and said “they don’t care about your drone” - and true enough, they weren’t bothered at all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa