DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another eclipse question

If taking a video directly of the Sun, do I need to use a ND?
ND filters won't do anything to protect the camera. For direct solar photography: you need a dedicated solar filter otherwise there's a high chance of burning the sensor out. Solar filters are heavy IR/UV cut optics. The IR/UV cut filter placed in front of the sensor at manufacture just won't cut the mustard.

Reactions: twickers14
I used a consumer video camera on a tripod to video the TOTALITY with max zoom in Hawaii in 1991. No harm to the camera but pretty good capture of the enormous plasma jets (spicules) erupting from the surface of the sun and then returning to the sun’s surface. This was quite a dynamic process. The ability to capture this was only for a minute or two. As the moon moves, when anymore than 1 or 2 % of the sun becomes visible you need the legit eclipse glasses to continue looking. The camera lens was then covered - as were my eyes!

I used part of an official pair of eclipse glasses, inserted behind my M3 Classic lens cover for these shots. Thoughts? I know I need to adjust the WB. This should work if the camera will go high enough to capture it.

20240408_113523.jpg20240408_113744.jpg

Reactions: TinajaEco
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure