DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another Mavic lost failed to RTH

Unless the flight logs is posted, otherwise it's just another speculation thread, waste fellow pilots time. It's not rocket science to retrieve and upload flight logs, especially with Android device.

When I asked for help, at least I posted a flight logs.

Reactions: Falcon1az
I noticed when I was in a bit of a predicament when the app crashed and I couldn't get it to work right after at that moment, I tried to RTH by pressing teh buttom on the controller and nothing happened. Kind of disappointed about that. I was able to bring it home using just the instrument display on the controller but I mean it should RTH when I press the button.

I noticed when I was in a bit of a predicament when the app crashed and I couldn't get it to work right after at that moment, I tried to RTH by pressing teh buttom on the controller and nothing happened. Kind of disappointed about that. I was able to bring it home using just the instrument display on the controller but I mean it should RTH when I press the button.
Did you hold the button down? Most common mistake made.

Two questions:

1. Did you press and HOLD the RTH button?

2. Was the aircraft in GPS mode? If not, RTH can't work. (I gather that your RC was correctly showing the Mavic's distance from home, implying it had GPS data, but I've heard of that happening even when the Mavic is in ATTI mode.)

Reactions: Richard X
To answer both of you, no I didn't, didn't know that I had to hold it down. And I had it in GPS mode.

It shipped! Very fired up to enjoy and work with the MP.
Just want to assure you that RTH works well on MP. Did Notice you mentioned you will be bringing to fly around buildings. Better watched out for signal interferences leading to lost signal due to tall building. In that situation, MP will initiate RTH after 10 sec, but if it is behind a tall building during RTH, and RTH height limit is not higher than the building, MP may end up hovering in place as it cannot climb any higher to overcome obstacle.

Just want to assure you that RTH works well on MP. Did Notice you mentioned you will be bringing to fly around buildings. Better watched out for signal interferences leading to lost signal due to tall building. In that situation, MP will initiate RTH after 10 sec, but if it is behind a tall building during RTH, and RTH height limit is not higher than the building, MP may end up hovering in place as it cannot climb any higher to overcome obstacle.
It can climb over obstacles if the conditions are right and the option is enabled (I believe it's the default), but I certainly wouldn't want to rely on that. Setting the RTH to an appropriate height is definitely advisable.

The RTH function is probably one of the most over used functions on any DJI Drone. If you have line of sight on you Mavic, you should be able to watch how it moves with the control sticks and still bring it home with no problem. If the camera is working, then that is even easier to make it come home. Your compass on the screen will tell the direction it is facing relative to where you are. I learned the hard way when it came to bringing a Phantom home, it was with a Phantom 2 and a GoPro camera, which requires a BlackPearl Video Monitor and even more ways for you to loose control. I got scared as hell, the Phantom was quite a ways off and I was scared that I was just making it go further away. I finally got hold of myself and then slowly moved the stick one way or another and finally got it to increase in size. So was able to bring it home. This was before I found out that the diamond in the screen meant my location. Most if not all loss of Drones is pilot error. But most would prefer to lay blame elsewhere. Yes, I had my P2 take off and go like a bat out hell more than once but was able hold the control stick down and got it to make a real hard landing, normally just busting some props. Then I learned about IMU calibration and how important it is. You should always recalibrate your IMU after any firmware update, no matter which model of drone, the be sure you calibrate you compass to any new flying location.

The RTH function is probably one of the most over used functions on any DJI Drone. If you have line of sight on you Mavic, you should be able to watch how it moves with the control sticks and still bring it home with no problem. If the camera is working, then that is even easier to make it come home. Your compass on the screen will tell the direction it is facing relative to where you are. I learned the hard way when it came to bringing a Phantom home, it was with a Phantom 2 and a GoPro camera, which requires a BlackPearl Video Monitor and even more ways for you to loose control. I got scared as ****, the Phantom was quite a ways off and I was scared that I was just making it go further away. I finally got hold of myself and then slowly moved the stick one way or another and finally got it to increase in size. So was able to bring it home. This was before I found out that the diamond in the screen meant my location. Most if not all loss of Drones is pilot error. But most would prefer to lay blame elsewhere. Yes, I had my P2 take off and go like a bat out **** more than once but was able hold the control stick down and got it to make a real hard landing, normally just busting some props. Then I learned about IMU calibration and how important it is. You should always recalibrate your IMU after any firmware update, no matter which model of drone, the be sure you calibrate you compass to any new flying location.
I know how to fly quadcopters.. And I couldn't see it.. And that's the first time I ever tried to use RTH. Battery was getting low, the app crashed and refused to work when I tried to open it and I couldn't see it so I used the distance read out to bring it home..

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661