DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anti-Collision Lighting Location

Hmmm...you think American Airlines going over at 33,000 will be able to see me? Quick! A plastic toy 3 miles below us. Do something. Obviously it would be for the ones lower down, but even then at 5,000' there's not much of a factor. It would have to be more for quads to avoid each other.

I'm not quite sure what we need a 3SM light for when we can't even fly above 400' day or night. Still not supposed to be in their airspace. It would have to be red on the left and green on the right, but there's hardly any distance as far as wingspan on the quads. Helicopter is just a red strobe on the tail. It sounds good on paper, but I'm not sure about the practicality here.

In the U.S.:

It's needed because the FAA says it's needed.

We can argue about the logic and the rationale, but if we want to stay legal, we need a 3 SM light.

I think in the terms of what can possible happen if I'm not using the proper equipment required. I also weigh in what works well for me when flying at further distances. So I run 4 strobes on my MP, red/green and two white. I started using them after a small manned aircraft almost hit my drone during the day. Would it have helped in daylight? I don't know but if strobes help great, because a full sized aircraft collision is something I want to avoid. But strobes also help me ID my drone at further distances during the day. At night the strobes are so bright it makes navigation much easier. At home I live next to a heliport and there are choppers coming and going at all hours of the day. If I'm flying at home, I just feel better that the strobes are on if the quad gets away from me for whatever reason. Besides, it might make a difference in finding your drone if you do lose it.
As for the OP, I do think my four strobes are visible enough from different angles even though I don't run one directly on the top. Besides, I think side mounted strobes are more visible to a full sized aircraft on a collision course than just one on top.

Reactions: Big Bro
Is that an open area or in the city?

The quads are small, slow and somewhat unpredictable with no radio contact. It's kind of like a bicycle sharing the road with the motorists. If they are expecting this 3SM bright light on a quad to be or act like a regular aircraft, I'm thinking there's going to be some confusion. They might confuse the flying plastic for a tall tower maybe.

Unless jet liners have a higher standard some of them with their lights can be seen way up there. It's usually way smaller, but can still be seen.
Neighorbood in the country. The point is, there are manned aircraft all around that fly under 500 feet. Any assistance to the pilot is good.

In the U.S.:

It's needed because the FAA says it's needed.

We can argue about the logic and the rationale, but if we want to stay legal, we need a 3 SM light.
It's carried over from part 61. Some things carry over better than others.

Neighorbood in the country. The point is, there are manned aircraft all around that fly under 500 feet. Any assistance to the pilot is good.
I don't really remember it doing much during the daytime. The lights may be on but they aren't that noticeable.