DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

any need for an SD card?

keat63

Reactions
I bought a used Mavic pro and i'm now getting to grips with learning to fly it safely.
Last night I decided to record a bit of video, so popped an SD card in.

When I got back home, I was surprised to see that the video was recorded to my phone.
I've not taken the SD card out of the Mavic to see what's on there also.

This got me asking a few questions to myself.

If it's recorded to the phone, is there a need for an SD card in the Mavic.
Is the picture quality on the SD card superior to what I got on my phone.

Also, if my phone is recording video, whilst trying to communicate with the Mavic and display the image etc, what impact will this have on resources.
Could the flight communications be impacted ?

Last edited:
Yes. You need a card.

The content captured by the phone is low quality that is cached and can be used for reference.

To get the SD quality to the phone you have to download from the aircraft.

There's a setting in the app to turn the cached video ON / OFF.

I usually record the whole flight just in case I have a "fly away" and I can use the cached video in the device to help locate the drone if I lose it.

I've been flying since 2017 and haven't had a fly away yet. ?

I bought a used Mavic pro and i'm now getting to grips with learning to fly it safely.
Last night I decided to record a bit of video, so popped an SD card in.

When I got back home, I was surprised to see that the video was recorded to my phone.
I've not taken the SD card out of the Mavic to see what's on there also.

This got me asking a few questions to myself.

If it's recorded to the phone, is there a need for an SD card in the Mavic.
Is the picture quality on the SD card superior to what I got on my phone.

Also, if my phone is recording video, whilst trying to communicate with the Mavic and display the image etc, what impact will this have on resources.
Could the flight communications be impacted ?
Downloading (from DJI website) and actually reading the owner's manual (since yours is used and may not have come with one) provides a great deal of useful info BEFORE flying.

Reactions: MA2 317
Already doing that, but its 64 pages.
Sometimes its easier to ask the experts

keat63, thanks for asking the question. I often hear the "read the manual" reply. MA2 317, gave a thorough, professional "and" friendly answer. I am somewhat new but I did know the answer but it is still nice to see the discussion and confirm my knowledge. Questions are how you learn so keep them coming...I know I will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MA2 317
All that said I do agree with tlswift58 that reading the manual start to finish is also wise!! It is no substitute for "real people" interaction and learning.

I'll be honest, I've never had the attention span for reading.
57 years and I bet if I were to count the amount of books I've read, I wouldn't have run out of counting fingers yet.
I get bored far too quickly, i end up skim reading, and missing parts.
I just want to get to the part i'm interested in

I've always said, what's the point of spending 3 days reading a book, when the film is only 90 minute longs.
I tend to learn easier hands on.

25 years in IT and Telecoms, I must be doing something right.

A saying we used to use, not sure if it's relevent today 'RTFM'

Last edited:
I have taken 10 FAA Written Exams and 8 FAA Flight Tests over 37 years and I am used to the required reading. Of course much of that was between 20 and 24 years old!! I am with you on the video learning from a qualified trainer being easier!! This forum is the same as far as knowledge transfer. You can still read the manual 5 pages at a time and get something out of it in the long run. I think the forum goes above and beyond on the practical/real world side compared to RTFM (I looked it up).

Happy flying!

Reactions: MA2 317 and keat63
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54