DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any new Mavic 3 info/developments or things I should know? (Short term thoughts?)

Ben_McPhee

Reactions
Hey guys, when the Mavic 3 and Cine were announced, I did my research and knew most things about it. But then I temporarily moved on with my life. :)

Now that it's been out for a while and people are calming down, what's the general consensus about the drone as a whole, and the 2 variants? Anyone have any real world thoughts about the Mavic 3 lineup, or can mention things I may have missed when I wasn't paying attention? Things like:

1. Any quirks/annoyances now that it's in your hands?
2. Is the ProRes "worth it" now that you have seen it? (If it is, but only in some conditions, where and when?)
3. Any of those "coming soon" features added yet? (What's still to come?).
4. Any software bugs? (Did firmware fix? Did it add any functionality that hadn't been announced yet?)
5 Any GOOD 3rd party filters and lens adapters starting to show up?
6. Any other good bags/accessories hitting shelfs?
7. How is availability in general?
8. Price aside... is it a worthy upgrade over an Air 2S? (Or Mavic Pro 2/Phantom 4 Pro if that's where you came from).
9. Anything else I may not be aware of?

Thanks! :)

---
Reason I ask is that I saw a video recently (And you should follow that guy if you like real flying as well as drones. He's living my dream!). Anyway, he points out something really obvious that didn't occur to me at first - which is that if you crash the drone, or even just run out of battery, you can't get the footage off the SSD unless you power the drone up. And with it's internal SSD, you also can't hand off a card to an assistant and download it while you get more shots (Not cool in a "pro" workflow).

In reality... I'm not planning to crash my drone, and if I landed it safely, then there should be enough battery left for a transfer (and the cable should charge/power as it downloads, right?), so maybe a non issue? But still.... little things like that would annoy me.

He also shows a side by side of H.265 vs ProRes, and he seems to think it makes such a small difference that the price increase might only be justified for people who are really doing high end stuff, and who want to "look professional" by handing over Pro-Res, even if the quality difference is negligible. I only saw it on YouTube so I'm sure both were massively compressed, but from his footage, I kind of agree. (Although... maybe once he pushed it around a bit more in post he'd feel differently...?)

I'm pretty aware of how Pro-Res's low compression can improve quality, and his side by side footage wasn't exactly a huge test for H.265 that would "require" ProRes. BUT... for 95% of shots, it seems like a logical argument. And having a Micro SD instead of an SSD alleviates the crash/flat battery/can't film during download concerns.

So... even though I was sure 99% I wanted/needed the Cine for Pro-Res, the $3000AUD price difference is looking less and less reasonable/necessary to me...

2. Is the ProRes "worth it" now that you have seen it? (If it is, but only in some conditions, where and when?)
There's no real reason for 99% of the members here to get the Cine version.
You would need to be producing high end commercial video for it to be worthwhile.
And if you were, you might not want it because of the limitations of the fixed SSD and only one (the largest) ProRes option.
But it will probably sell well to those who want to have the "best".

Reactions: Point Zero
Wait for Mavic 3.1

99% sure mine is going back. I have been in touch with DJI, we'll see what they say.

If they say, send it in for repair, I'll send it back to Amazon.

Reactions: mrprawn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580